Transaxle options

I know the transaxle options have been discussed a fair bit over the years, but availability seems to fluctuate, and then there seem to be some newer options, or advertised options. While I've been considering an SLC for awhile, now I'm leaning towards an rcr T70 w/ a 416 ci LS3 ~600hp. From various threads I've gleaned the following about what transaxle options there are:

Transaxle Cost HP
Porsche G50 rebuilt and flipped $8000 500 (some claim 600)
Graziano $10,000 1000
Ricardo (if you can find one) $16,000 1000
Sadev $30,000 ?
Griffin (does it exist?) ? ?

Any other options I've missed?

If it weren't for the hp limitation the G50 would seem to be the best way to go, not only are there plenty of them out there, but there should be plenty of donors for spares for in future. The Graziano also sounds like a good choice with use in production cars. The more limited production transaxles seem like something that could bite you in the future with spare parts and support.

Paul,

the RCR70 has space limitations that the SLC does not.

The RCR70 will accommodate the ZF25 and G50 based Porsche units and the Audi 01e family of transaxle.

Of these the best option for the RCR70 would be the ZF or the later side shift Twin turbo or GT2/3 Porsche transaxles....the 4 speed 930 transaxle is a good unit too btw. and much forgotten

Both of these options will cost from $10-13,000 in either new or refurbished condition from a reputable supplier.

600hp is on the higher end of the range of HP for a 2400lb car and will eliminate some of the lesser $$$ transaxles....

Forget the Ricardo...spectacular as they are there is a limited supply of boxes and zero spares per se.

Griffin is coming to market but timing is still unknown at present.

Keep in mind that most full race cars have rules that limit power and even the big $$$ boxes like Xtrac/Hewland /Sadev and Emco don't have off the shelf solutions for much more than 550hp....

Last edited:
Fran,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Griffin will probably get to market before I start my build. With one in college and two to go, I've got plenty of time to plan before I have funds in hand. Also having a house built which seems like running a race car in terms of going through large sums of money every time you turn around.

But I need to keep the car project and options on the radar! I'm hoping to visit RCR next spring when our daughter graduates, didn't make it up to the shop when I visited her in Cleveland a few years ago. Maybe I'll be "sensible" and go with a "meager" 500hp ls3 crate and thus keep my engine and transaxle costs down.

Still, I keep thinking this Mast ls3 416 w/ Hilborn injection would be the best of all worlds providing the modern EFI, power to spare on pump gas and a vintage CanAm look.

mast2.jpg

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Well said Fran --
The 930 4 speed is the best bang for $s Plenty spares, plenty ratios, can be dog geared -- 9" crown wheel, easy to adapt, loves a V8 with grunt -- tough as :thumbsup:

Back