Transaxles???

G

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lynn Larsen:
Here is the picture of Paul's G50/52. I have a feeling that this is going to be too long to fit in a GT40. Paul, can you give us the overall length and/or length from axle flange centers to rear?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agree. This configuration of G50 is too long for a GT40, but the tail housing can be either replaced with the shorter version or cut off. The round mount on it is what makes it too long.

It's a simple operation to cut off the mount and re-machine the shift shaft brg and seal bore.

G

Correct me if I am wrong but to me the trans in the picture Chris posted looks to have a longitudinal bolt pattern similar to the Renault.....Mmmmmm

Malcolm

G

Is there a problem with the engine height with the Audi transaxle ?. Or another way to look at this, is the engine height ideal with this transaxle ?. With the Lola T70 the porsche transaxle lets the engine mount lower in the chassis, with the audi transaxle in this car the engine sits too high.

Malcolm,
My RF is set up to run a 302 with an Audi 5000 trans. The height is just fine for this car. I think with the correct size mounts(and oil pan) the height issue can be worked out.
John

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
Malcolm,

The bolt pattern is as the Audi in that the gears are housed in "cans" which can be seen on the left of the picture. The bolts that hold this can are also seen on the extreme left of picture. The bolts that are seen around the output flanges are for access for the diff.

The gearbox does impress me because of the bulk and cross section but I am sceptical of the manufacturer (never heard of his name). I do know the Quaife name and hve known it for over 20 years (from my motorcycle days). I will stick with the later but as I have mentioned before the Renault and Audi and to that matter the Porsche gearboxes can all be strengthened to take insane HP. We are in the process of having a full race box built with all the internals changed including shafts and all gears.

I will post the info on the boxes tommorow from work.

Chris can you contact me at your earliest convenience, I do not have your telephone number.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hello all,
I have not gotten a kit yet but I have been doing my research. In your transaxle debate I may be able to help. I race off-road buggys. Off road racing is much harder on gearboxes than on road use. Ivan Albins here in Australia modifies Porsch boxes with billet side plates and all internal gear. He also makes the gears. He has a 5 and 6 speed custom box that he makes but it is quite big. I am not sure of the diminsions. He is at Albins off road, Wendouree, Victoria
There is also Mike Mendeola in California. I use his gearbox. It is stronger than a Porsch and comes in a 4 or 5 speed. It has a vw bellhousing. He also just came out with a new box that is supposed to take 800 plus hp I believe. I think that it also has a ford or chev bell housing. The smaller box that I use is a MD4-2d It is based on a vw design but all the gears are much thicker. The ring gear is 13" i believe and the case is custom cast. It also has a load bolt that helps stop the ring gear from moving away from the pinion. I have adapted a cooler onto the box that I run to keep the temperatures down. Mikes number is (619)691-1000. Tell him Jim from Australia sent you. I think the 4 speed is in the 5 - 6 thousand dollar range. There are tones of ratios available in each gear. I'm sure Mike would be glad to help you with any questions. Well I have enjoyed reading the site and I hope this helps someone. Jim

Back