Tube Chassis Datsun Project

BTW, Here is me and my assistant pondering this build.

IMG_1855.jpg

Well at least one of you shaved for the photo op, sheeze you just can't get well groomed people for assistant positions anymore can you?

Your build reminds me when all my friends in high school were building 510s and I was working my way to a killer V8 914.

Cool project you got in mind.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I've been trying to determine what I want to do about wheels/tires and brakes for this project. From my research, I can run as small as 16" diameter wheels with C5 uprights.
Justin

Justin, my initial desire on my Mirage project was 15" wheels with the C5 uprights. Well, I quickly realized that 15s wouldn't work, and a 16" wheel was so marginal, that I gave up on these uprights completely, and went to the C4 uprights. Even with the C4 upright's obvious radius difference on the upper portion (much shorter), the 15" wheels were marginal, so I'm going for 16s instead with the C4 uprights. Have you actually stuck the C5 into a 16" wheel with the hub bolted onto the wheel. My testing indicated that it wouldn't even allow stick-on weights.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Terry, I haven't tested 16's on the C5 uprights. It is common for the Corvette guys to run the CCW Drag package that runs 16" wheels. From my models of the C5 upright, there isn't much room there. The minimum inside diameter with these uprights is ~15.75". Definitely minimal room. I'm looking at running some Diamond Racing steel wheels. 16X12 front and 16X14 rear.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Exactly. I also found that different wheels have different IDs on the barrel (or shell) for a "16 inch" wheel, so one wheel may fit, but another 16" wheel may not. My goal of the smaller wheel wasn't worth the headaches of worrying about what wheels would or would not fit.

Yeah, it looks to be a pain. For my street tires I'm going to run 18" wheels so those aren't a worry. For my track wheels i'm going to have to work on getting the correct ID for clearance. PITA, but I've already purchased the uprights.

I've been doing some cad modeling of the C5 upright. Trying to figure out the proper offset for my wheels so that I have zero scrub radius. Here is where I'm at:

Street Backspacing with 285/30-18: With C5 Z06 rear wheels I will have ~ 6mm scrub radius (18X10.5 et+58).
Backspacingstreet.jpg

Track Front Backspacing with 23.5X12:
Backspacingtrack.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Justin

Was reading about your project and was wondering if you would be interested in trading your cad drawings of the c5 uprights for a cad drawing of the pickup points for stock c5 suspension? Comes complete with both upper and lower a arm geometry, tie rod and coilover geometry down to the .001 of an inch. I too am creating a car using that suspension. What i dont have is any detail of the uprights/brakes themselves. Would be interested? Bill

Bill

Justin if you're interested email address is [email protected]. Its a .dwg Rhino 3d file in its present state, but if that wont work in your CAD then i can give you the raw data i input to get the pickup points. Mind you these are not finished cad files just simply the geometry of the suspension for a C5 corvette.

Justin if you're interested email address is [email protected]. Its a .dwg Rhino 3d file in its present state, but if that wont work in your CAD then i can give you the raw data i input to get the pickup points. Mind you these are not finished cad files just simply the geometry of the suspension for a C5 corvette.

I didn't do the modeling on the Uprights. Your best bet would be to contact Doug Clark on here for the models.

Regards,
Justin

I've had a bit of change on the engine I plan on using. I have a Audi 2.5L 20v engine that I was building for a car a while back. The project never was finished, but I have most of the hard parts already. I've decided I will finish up this motor, and use it for this project. I recently purchased a Porsche 924 bellhousing that I will use to adapt a Super T10 to the motor. This should be a fairly compact engine and transmission setup that will be a bit shorter then the 2JZ I was planning on. The sound of these engines is unbeatable IMO short of a V10/V12, ect.

Here is a good example of what these sound like when built right:
Audi S2 Race Car - 700bhp. - Car Videos on StreetFire

Here is an old picture of my audi when I was building up the motor for it:
Dscn1563.jpg

Justin

Last edited:
Well I'm running the longer stroke version of this engine, so I likely won't make power much past 8k. The stroke will be 95.5mm = 3.76". This is fine with me as the hydraulic lifters in these heads don't much like being rev'd any higher then that. I can build up a shorter stroke version to rev well past 9k, but the cost/benifit to turning high rev's just isn't there for me.

Justin

Thanks Justin, this is one engine I simply have to learn more about. Should sound terriffic even at 8K..

Jack

Hi Justin,

On the CAD, there's a spherical cutout inside the top of the upright which is where I worked the center of the top bearing to be, the point of the top peg should connect to the centre of that sphere to be in the correct place to my measurements.

On the drawing above it does not look quite as if the peg goes into that point.

If you want to share the CAD files thats fine with me, feedback on any inaccuracies found would be good.

Thanks,

Thanks Doug. I didn't realize until now that there is indeed a sphere cutout inside the uprights. I will use that as my pivot point from here on out. I appreciate your willingness to share these models. They have definitely been very helpful. I will measure and compare my C5 uprights to them and let you know if I find any discrepancies.

Regards,
Justin

Back