Turn signal indicator light

My car has a three position dash mounted toggle switch, but no indicator light, which I need to add. The system has a two pin flasher, so I bought 12v zener diodes and indicator light to wire in.

Can anyone provide a simple wire diagram showing how the diodes and indicator light need to be wired into the system?
B5071B53-C2E7-4001-A9C6-B6F124A0D26C.jpeg51D6867E-9C64-414C-B376-D531B942FE80.jpeg46C2346C-19A0-4125-8A7C-57F550612487.jpeg

That's a fine suggestion Bill, but I don't need or want two indicator lights on my panel. I just need one light to alert me that I've forgotten to return the switch to the off position like grandpa driving his Buick. Thx

Bill Kearley

Supporter
OR, I have a two buttons on my steering wheel that I use as grounding switches, One left and one right.. I hold my thumb on a switch and hold before a turn is made.

Attachments

• GOPR0534.JPG
    GOPR0534.JPG
    284.2 KB · Views: 120
Ian, something like that could be a strong candidate if I can find one that appropriately suits my panel. I shall commence a search.

Bill, I love that idea from a functional perspective, but how are they wired? Is your wheel removable? Does it have a special slip ring (rotary contact) hub design? I’d still want a light on the panel to let me know my flasher hasn’t quit.

Thanks for the ideas gentlemen, clearly there’s always another way to skin that cat.

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Hi Michael
I have two indicators on the dash L/R and am using a coil cord at the moment. My wheel is removable and I plan on making a slipring to work and get rid of the cord. Each side is activated by grounding a specific side, L/R. I simply ran a ground wire from each side and using a dedicated bulb to avoid any feedback. I am still working on slipring design that will look pretty.

That makes sense Bill, thanks for the description. I guess once you commit to a turn, you release the button. Any problems so far with cancelling the signals early in tight turns and heavy traffic?

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Yes , once your into a turn there should be no harm in lifting your thumb. If you have to lift your hand for a second just reset your thumb so to speak.

So, to close out this thread, I decided the best course of action was to swap out the two pin flasher for a heavy duty Hella three pin flasher.

I had to re-pin the flasher connector to match the new flasher and run the third wire to the indicator light.

It was much more of a pita to install the indicator light because of the tight confines behind the panel, but now I have it exactly how I want it. It flashes brightly when toggled to either side, so I shouldn’t embarrass myself out on the road.

Cheers gents…:cool:

Back