Wiring the Lights questions

I’m at the stage of roughing in a wiring harness. All toggle switches on dash and separate tell-tale lights.
I have a 3 position switch (off/on/on) I want to use for the dip and bright headlights.

I want to keep each circuit simple.

So do I:
From the 3 way switch position one, wire to a relay and then the dip headlights. Take output from switch also to green tell-tale light.
From the 3 way switch position two, wire to another relay and then the bright headlights. Take output from switch also to blue tell-tale light.

I’m thinking to wire the instruments through a seperate toggle switch so I can have them on without the headlights, if that might be desired.

Where do I take the feed for the taillights from? A feed from both the dip headlights relay and the bright headlights relay? So they are on no matter which headlights are on.

A cheat might be to wire them from the instruments toggle switch?

Regards

Fred W B

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I would say very bad idea

position 1 side lights and tail lights all low wattage so no need for relay

position 2 output to a second switch on /on
First on via relay to dip and green dash light
Second on position to main beam and blue dash light
So only dip or main beam on at any one time

also using switch as you indicate try to come off main beam and chances are switch will click to off position so no lights at all

Ian

Ed McClements

Supporter
I would say very bad idea

position 1 side lights and tail lights all low wattage so no need for relay

position 2 output to a second switch on /on
First on via relay to dip and green dash light
Second on position to main beam and blue dash light
So only dip or main beam on at any one time

also using switch as you indicate try to come off main beam and chances are switch will click to off position so no lights at all

Ian

I'd also be tempted to have separate fuses / relays for right and left dip/main so that in the event of a fuse blowing or relay failing you'd only lose one side of your lighting, not be left in complete darkness....at night....on a winding road....with an owl!

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Go with LED headlights and avoid extra wiring relays would require.
Power a dimmer switch through a fuse to a simple on/of switch, dimmer has two out puts, one for low and one for high. I used a second switch for park/running and license

Back