Twin Turbo's in a GT40 ?

The info I've seen indicates the Porsche 930 to have much higher
capacity than either the G50 or ZF for less money.
Sandy's (RCR) tranny looks way cool...will be interesting to see how
well it holds up under racing.

MikeD

Doug- I agree that even if I find a un-finished project, it may still be around 60k, from the two I've seen so far. I built my cobra myself. I'm a auto body man and a fairly good mechanic. Two of my good friends have a automotive repair shop so the help out a great deal. About the cost, I did not think about was all the chrome & polished aluminum on the engine. I ended up buying a industrial polisher & doing it myself. A lot cheaper but, very time consuming ! I'm still, not done. I even sanded, polished and painted the engine block in my body color. I actually bought the engine before I bought the kit. When Carroll Shelby built his new shop in Vegas, he sold many items he had from the old days to make room for building his new cobras. I was able to get on his mailing list. He had four engines so I flew to his shop with my mics and other tools to inspect the motor I picked out. I had a engine shop there sonic check it also. I had it shipped the next day to my home. After a second re-build, it Dynode at 563 hp. Very happy with it. My spec./custom grind cam is now in the Comp Cams catalog for Cobras. The only items that were missing was the intake, carb, oil pan and the electronics. I paid $2,500 for it. I would post photo's if I could figure out how ? I'm a member of www.clubcobra.com, under the name, "FUNFER2" (my license plate is the 427HISS) If you want my build pics to finished car, email me for them.
So, all in all, I have apx. $ 42,000 in the car. I would prefer a new kit than getting someone else's problem, unless I could expect it in person, which is the only way I would consider it. But now after doing a little research, I believe Frans RCR GT is out of reach. I believe for the quality & price, you can't beat it. Please email me about your endeavor and any photo's you have.

Mike-How much is the Porsche 930 ? I can search but, is Sandy using the 930 ?

Thanks
Kevin

Attachments

• Our cobra at the diner.JPG
    Our cobra at the diner.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 371
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 393
  • em.jpg
    em.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 368
  • Plate.jpg
    Plate.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
I have the porsche 930 going into my car. The trans was costly due to a lot of work that was done to it, including specific gearing that I wanted for 3rd and 4th (Which was a lot of the cost) as well as oil system, which is not really needed unless running high hp or racing. You can get a 930 box in the 2k-5k range in various conditions and depending on what they come with, like, LSD, clutch parts, axle stubs, etc. Keep a sharpe eye on ebay or give Roger at PowerhouseII (www.powerhausII.net) a call he usually has a line on them (I know he as a few now). Also on pelican parts you can find them or post for a wanted.

They look beefy compaired to some of the other boxes, but they are also only a 4 speed if that matters to ya'.

For the strength side of things I was assured that I would not break it with 600+ hp/485tq of SBF power and wide Avons. Will have to see about that, and I do have a spare with some different gearing just in case I need it. Fran (RCR) talked me into it and said to give it a go before spending the 25k+ on a Hewland NLT.

I think the porsche box will do just fine if you can do the 4 speed, and it is not as hard to get as the g5050(2)'s.

Sandy

Last edited:
Sandy's right about the price. If your lucky enough to spot one on ebay which is about 1 a year, you can expect to put out at least 3K for a rebuilt one. You have to start thinking of rebuilding somewhere beyond the 40K mile range. Cost run from as low as $1500 to who knows how much. Be sure you have someone who REALLY knows the 930. I thought my local Porsche shop forman did and it cost me almost 2 years to get the trans back(See DRB#5 on saga of 930).

Bill

Back