Vintage chassis tags

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Hey guys....
Anyone know where to get such an item....?

Attachments

• FAV tag.JPG
    FAV tag.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 1,046
About 18 months ago, a forum vendor made a batch. Maybe he'll see this post and chime in. I'm sure there is enough interest for another batch.

Bill

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
All,

The guy who did the tags was Ben Miller from Oklahoma. I just checked the member list and I don't see him anywhere. Anyone still in touch with Ben?

Some of the old timers may remember his car because he had unique air scoops on the rear window.

Lynn

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Guys,

Good news and bad news:

Bad News: Ben has no more of the plates. The company that made them went bankrupt and the images he used to have them created went to the bit bucket in the sky when his computer crashed.

Good News: I will start looking in earnest for another supplier of the plates starting tomorrow so that we can include them in GT40s.com Store. (More to come on the Store very soon, so look for the announcement.)

If anyone has a good, clear, straight on photo like the one below, please contact me. If worse comes to worse, I'll take a photo of the one that is on my car. Also, Ben made a smaller rectanuglar chassis plate and if anyone has a photo of one of these, it would be very helpful also!

Attachments

• FAVid.jpg
    FAVid.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 869
Lynn, I have not installed the set I purchase from Ben. Do you think a scan would be better than a picture? I'll do either this week for you, just let me know what you prefer.

By the way, I have both the large and small plates.

Brian

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Brian,

That would be perfect!!

If you could email the images to me, I'd be eternally greatful (or at least greatful enough to give you store credit when it opens :) And don't worry about the size of the files for my part.

Regards,
Lynn

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
If accurate dimensions are known, it's fairly easy to replicate the artwork for the photo etching or screen-printing. I'll happily modify this if exact measurements are provided. I have the resources to make these if it's not easy for others.

Attachments

• vinplateNew.jpg
    vinplateNew.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 858
Lynn I also have a tag that I have not installed on the car yet. Nor has it had the chassis number imprinted or engraved on it yet. Let me know if you need more help.

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Thanks for the offers of unstamped plates, I think we have it covered now.

Mark, I have talked to a couple of places that SAY they can do it locally, but until I visit and see them and then get a price, I am not counting on anything. I'll let you know one way or the other soon.

Regards,
Lynn

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Lynn, if you need any assistance with artwork for production, just let me know. I'm more than happy to help out.

Attachments

• vinplate2.jpg
    vinplate2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 782

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
JimmyMac,

I am assuming that is a rhetorical question.

I didn't ask Ben what his thinking was when he designed this ID tag, but let me take a SWAG. I have to wonder if Ben, out of respect for FAV and so as to avoid possible legal issues, came up with this design purposefully.

Lynn

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Lynn,
There were no rhetorics in my enquiry. Poo Poo !

I asked simply if these plates represented any of the changes by the various chassis fit-out teams other than JW Automotive, Slough. UK.

For example : did the plates change when Holman & Moody, Allan Mann and Shelby et al. execute individual fit-outs on original basic chassis' built in Slough during 1966 onwards and did the plates reflect this, or did those original plates change to reflect the fit-out specification.

Otherwise you have answered my question and the plates refered to in this post come from the south end of a horse going north.

I have these drawn up in Coreldraw and can export them as different file types. I will post an image later . they are perfect but maybe a starting point. Lynn if you PL me your email and let me know what format you can read them in ill send you the files.

Adrian

Gents, I wanted a set of these plates a while back and couldn't find them. I have a laser engraving machine so I did the art work and made my own. I have made versions for MKI, IIA, IIB and Holman Moody. I also made HM Cam tags. I use anodized aluminum. See attached photos. I can make any variation one likes.

Attachments

• HM VIN Plate Final (Small).jpg
    HM VIN Plate Final (Small).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 709
  • Vin Plates.jpg
    Vin Plates.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 714
  • HM Cam Tag Final.jpg
    HM Cam Tag Final.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 722
Back