Wanted - GT40 Mk I Canada

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi George,

There are not many fully built GT40 replicas in Canada, however as you are open to a project or a done car, I may be able to help you.

It would be good to know what you're looking for in terms of type (Mk1, Mk11, Mk1 Gulf Spec) Small Block or Big Block, right or left hand drive, Track day car or street licensed etc.

Of course if you're building the whole car then you cam make those choices on the fly.

It's a ton less work to buy a properly built and sorted GT40, so tell us what turns your GT40 crank and see what comes your way.

Also, welcome to the GT40s Forum!

Cheers
Ian

Thanks Ian. Actually, it’s my second time in the forum. Was on about 12 yrs ago and recall you were very helpful back then too!!

Looking for a Mk I small block Ford. (Would love to out an FE in a Mk I but I realize that’s a no go!). Left hand drive and street legal here in Alberta. As for the Gulf spec cars, I think you mean the wide rear fenders - prefer the original Mk I but wouldn’t say no to the wider fenders. (And if I was building one, would likely get the Gulf paint scheme!).

Prefer a monocoque over a space frame. Ideally, would be as true to original as practical although minor deviations/improvements OK. For example, a CAV would be great.

Thanks for the input!

Thanks David. Yes, I saw it. Was looking for info from the seller on its age. But, it has an Audi transaxle and from the little I know, it’s a bit light on torque rating. But for the right price, be a good starting point.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
The comments stated is should be a 2002 build date, but as I''m sure you are aware Transport Canada will want to see proof of first registration date for the 15 year clock, so accompanying paper trail is a key component. The transaxle is stated to be a ZF in the description, but from the photos is clearly not, as you say likely an Audi unit. The swap would be an easy upgrade, but a good used or refurbished ZF would set you back ~$15k today. That said a CAV sold at Barrett Jackson recently for $225k, so in comparison this could end up being a great entry price.

There is a lot of corrosion and a bit of rust. The seller states he has over 100 cars so I can guess it wasn't stored in an ideal environment.

Back