Warts and all GT40 Australia #48

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Re: GT40 Australia #48

GT40 Australia's own design in elecronically adjustable mirrors fitted. Look pretty Hot IMO and you can see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 59886-PhotoUpdate17-06-05007.jpg
    59886-PhotoUpdate17-06-05007.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 822

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Door interior finished. The coloured insert is not the pinkish colour shown, but is actually a very much darker
red.I think the camera flash washed the colour out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Attachments

• 59887-PhotoUpdate17-06-05001.jpg
    59887-PhotoUpdate17-06-05001.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 843

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Pete, it is looking very, very nice (& very nearly finished) ! Have you got any estimates of a delivery date yet ?

BTW, how are you going to route the speaker cables thru the door hinge area - I have postponed my stereo installation as this bit looks too hard at the moment.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Peter, estimated delivery originally was about 12 Months ago
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif most recently was two weeks ago! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Realistically, I hope to have it ready and registered before end of July /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
The stereo was wired when I was not around. I'll have a close look for you and post pics/detail if possible.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Seats have arrived back from the upholsterer. The little bulb attached to the plastic tube at the bottom of the picture enables you to adjust lumbar support.

Attachments

• 60007-Seat-Passenger20-06-05002.jpg
    60007-Seat-Passenger20-06-05002.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 718

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

last one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 60009-Seat-Passenger20-06-05001.jpg
    60009-Seat-Passenger20-06-05001.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 643

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

(BTW, how are you going to route the speaker cables thru the door hinge area - I have postponed my stereo installation as this bit looks too hard at the moment.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

[/ QUOTE ] Peter, the speaker cables and mirror control cables are routed through the door above the top hinge. see Pics.

Attachments

• 60107-WiringtoDoor23-06-05001.jpg
    60107-WiringtoDoor23-06-05001.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 807

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

Hope these help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Attachments

• 60109-WiringtoDoor23-06-05003.jpg
    60109-WiringtoDoor23-06-05003.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 661

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Thanks Pete.

If I had the presence of mind to run the wiring in much earlier, that would be the way to go (Dave Harris has a very similar setup, but goes into the doors on the front inner edge).

I would have also figured some way of getting at the door hinge mounting nuts under those panels as well (not too late for you). I am thinking here of eiter :

- 30mm sealed tubes, glued to the steel side wall around each nut, then coming thru the kick panels (& sealed around). That way, you could preserve the integrity of the kick panel seals (essential to keep fuel vapour out of the cockpit), but still have access down the tubes to the hinge mount nuts if (when) you need to do any door alignment adjustments.

or

- Seal off the rear areas around the hinge nuts from the fuel filler tube area with a wall between the steel side panels & the kick panels & cut out sections of the kick panels to make access hatches.

BUT, I am stuck with having the inside kick-panels already well & truely sealed & stuck in place. It would be a nightmare to remove these panels, so I am thinking of maybe running some very small & neat external surface ducting from the front under-clip area, across the bodywork behind the filler necks (under the clip), & then down to a point roughly where your cabling comes out, & from there, a flexible duct into the door like yours. For the moment, that's the only way I can see how to do it without removing the damn kick-panels !

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hi Peter,
Can you clarify what you mean by "kick" panels - are you referring to the carpeting/leather or whatever covering for the interior, or are you talking about the fiberglass inner panel that seals the interior up?

If it's just the fiberglass panel (that I agree is really well sealed!) then it's not a problem and I can send you pictures of what I've done there - If it's the interior coverings that are "stuck" then you have a real problem!

sorry!

cheers

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter

Sorry Dave - the term "kick-panels" comes from my Vette vocabulary (bloody aweful plastic things from GM) !

The ones I was referring to are the f/glass panels (like an inverted "L" shape) that seal the whole fuel-filler / door hinge mount area.

I guess it would be fairly easy to pull back the carpet covering of the panels, then cut 4 big holes thru the kick-panel - 3 for the door hinge nut access & 1 for the wiring access (all 4 with tubes running in & sealed at the outer panel & also the inner kick-panel).

I just wish I had thought of it all before !

If you have an easy way to retro-fit the wiring thru the kick-panel & outer panel, patent it first, then please let me know !!

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Hi Peter - That's what I thought you were referring to!

I'll try to attach acouple of pic's of the panel without the carpeting on it. there is an Access Panel that screws into the kick panel to allow you to get at the fuel filler connections and door hinge nuts. The wires are just fed thru a drilled hole that the carpeting covers up. The panel is covered in "fat mat" sound reducing sheets so it might be hard to tell. The cover plate is just an aluminum plate and the screws go into "nutcerts" (or perhaps better know as "rivnuts"?).

let's see if the pic's work, if not I'll PM you.

cheers

Attachments

• 60168-DSC00838.JPG
    60168-DSC00838.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 713

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

The bureaucracy is killing me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gifThe car is ready to go, but first it needs to be allocated a V.I.N. and engine number by the local Police. But not just any local cop, it has to be a Sargeant or higher rank. And you have to make an appointment. Even if you make an appointment there is no guarantee the Sargeant will be there. If he is not, come back next week.

Once you have your VIN and engine number all documentation,
engineering reports etc are submitted to Queensland Transport for approval. This process takes three, to four, maybe five weeks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Then and only then, you can make an appointment with QLD Transport to take the car for inspection and hopefully registration. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif But wait! There is at least a Months backlog to wait before this happens.AAAAARRRRGGH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. If anyone has a mate in Queensland transport who can help fast track this process please let me know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Welcome to the pain we all suffer to get cars approved here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif We had to wait 2 months for the pit inspection on last Cobra build. And QLD Transport mucked about for months with the approval documentation. We did book our pit inspection before they had given us approval, but had to sweet talk lady booking inspections to do that as they require the approval number.

Only trick I know of...If you can be available at a moments notice to get the car up for pit inspection, then you can call everyday and try and snag a last minute cancellation. Apparently they have quite a few cancellations, so not real hard to get one. They claimed to us they needed specific paperwork to be at the right inspection station, but another option is to call around all the inspection stations looking for an available slot.

Greg with DRB #32(Green & Gold) has just been through approval a couple of weeks back, be worth having a chat with him as well to get the latest info.

Good luck with it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter

The car is now all but finished /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. And thanks to this wonderful forum I have been given a contact name at Qld Transport. Any Queenslanders want it it will cost $$$ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Latest pics.

Attachments

• 60934-FinishedcarpriortoStripes13-07-05002.jpg
    60934-FinishedcarpriortoStripes13-07-05002.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 856
Back