Weber 48 IDA problem

I've got petrol seeping from the flange between the carb and the manifold but predominently on the nearside pair, I've replaced the gaskets but the problem persists, any ideas?

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Your manifold may be warped. Take off the carb and coat the gasket with high temp silicon..this should do the trick..I had the same problem.

You might want to also check the bottom of the carbs...I do it with a steel ruler (machine shop type). I've seen both, and so the above post is also correct. I hope it helps!

Kevin Box

Supporter
You might also look at a diferent sealer than RTV as it dissolves with ptrol.

Loctite make some nice fuel resistant sealers that are just as flexible

Will try to find the one I have used in the past.

regards KB

John,
You may try Loctite Avaition Gasket Sealant PM37559.
Fuel proof and somewhat flexible. Good stuff.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try, bit busy at the moment doing my other passion, motorsport painting, I'm preparing paintings for the next Silverstone Classic in July but I'll keep you all informed as to the result, again many thanks....what a good forum this is!

Jack, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of parts, sealants, glues, paints and just about anything. You always seem to have a suggestion for those on this forum seeking guidance. I need to get out to see you one of these days. If for no other reason just to see your shop! Hope all is going well with the SLC.

Jimmy, you are welcome at anytime. No big shop, my little crowded two car garage!
I've been around a long time and have tried almost everything at one time or another. Also built a couple of experimental airplanes about 20 years ago in Arizona.

My SL-C build is going very well, albiet, slower than I wish. Loving it! RCR has been great to work with. Shameless plug!

John, another trick you might try is to buy a small (12" x 12" or 18" x 18") granite surface plate, and use some wet/dry 400 to get the base of the carbs square/flat across the flange surface. I've seen some of the non-Italian IDAs with some relatively poor surfacing on the mounting flange.

I like to work slowly and carefully, and use WD-40 as a wet lubricant for the above process. To do it right should take about 30-45 minutes per carb.

Good luck!

Back