What a site!!

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Ive been spending alot of time over the last few months, reading articles on this site. Thought it was about time i joined, lol.From what ive seen, you seem a helpful and approachable bunch of enthusiasts. Just the ticket!
Ill be spending much more time, researching to decide which manufacturer to buy my project from.
So any input on that subject, feel free to message me, thanks in advance.
Just one question to close with, what sort of mpg would a 40 with a 302 return, bearing in mind that i drive in the UK, home of the speed camera!!! Its just part of the picture of getting to know what im letting myself in for!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Just one question to close with, what sort of mpg would a 40 with a 302 return, bearing in mind that i drive in the UK, home of the speed camera!!! Its just part of the picture of getting to know what im letting myself in for!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi 'Charlie'? - welcome aboard and re your question, from 20+ Mpg to less than 4 Mpg - pending on motor spec and how you drive it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As a sensible average, I would reckon on 12-18 for a carb motor and possibly an extra 4 or 5 for an injected motor, although I'm sure a few 'owners' will be able to give a more accurate opinion.....

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Thanks Paul, thats pretty good, considering a twin cammed Lotus doesnt often get much more than 20 mpg.
Seeing as these cars are usually used as second cars/weekend driving fun, it shouldnt be a problem.

One thing Charlie - I should add that getting 20+ is not easy and would'nt be a great deal of 'fun' as a driving experience..

"Generally, the higher the fuel consumption, the higher the level of FUN" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

..... said the now stationary driver to the men in uniform... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hi Charlie,
I can confirm Paul's comments.
The only time I have got over 20mpg was driving my 40 back from Cannes to London on motorways.
Apart from that "around town" is normally 16 to 17 but whenever the pedal is to the metal it goes below 9!
Cheers

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Well thanks Paul(s),
IMHO it still represents unrivalled enjoyment for the money. Its not as if im going to be doing 20,000 year, i just want as full a picture as possible.
Well, thanks for your replies. Im not in a position to go forward with building a 40 at present, moving house etc. So im taking the opportunity to read as much on this site as possible, in the meantime.
Im sure ill have many questions in the near future and its good to know there are such helpful people as members.Ill try not to ask anything daft and clog up the Forums, lol.
Cheers.

Hi Charlie, how's your old mate Piggy Malone?...any Two Ronnies fans out there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Charlie,

Let me be the first to correct you here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

It's not 'miles per gallon' it's 'Smiles per gallon' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I get about a five hundred, with the motor off /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Charlie,
Welcome..I live in Norwich so can't be too far from you. I never checked to see what mph my GT40 did on the basis that I really didn't want to know! My insurance limits me to 3000 miles a year anyway...
My GT40 is close to going back on the road after a rebuild so maybe we can meet up when its finished....

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Charlie, how's your old mate Piggy Malone?...any Two Ronnies fans out there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's BIG it's BLACK it's HAIRY... 'an I be afraid of it'!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Back