What CLUTCH to use with Renault UN1 transmission ?

There are not too many options for UN1 tranny due to its small (235mm) clutch diameter.
"Original" Esprit SE Valeo cover has only 6500N clamping force. Is there any stronger aftermarket alternative? Perhaps, AP Racing or PNM Engineering in UK?

Last edited:

Davidmgbv8

Supporter
Got mine from Mick at SGT
F8DC296E-D83F-4CCC-AF56-7A64560995D1.jpeg
10B54A84-2079-4DCF-A050-35FE51F63547.jpeg

Mike Pass

Supporter
I had a Renault clutch which slipped. I checked on the best Renault upgrade clutch but the best was only rated at 280 ft.Lbs so I went with an AP clutch that I got from Mick at SGT. They are rated by AP at 340 ft.lbs. I have the part numbers somewhere or give Mick a bell. I had the original GTD flywheel drilled and tapped tor the AP cover. I also fitted Chris Coles's uprated release bearing and carrier. I tried a lot of combinations of slave and master cylinder to get the lightest pedal with full release. I ended up with a 3/4" master cylinder and one of Chris Cole's sleeved down slave cylinders which he does on an exchange basis. To get the correct set up with a small amount of free play (a few thou) and full release I removed the Renault clutch rod and pin from the arm and replaced the pin with an ht bolt and made up a new push rod of the correct length from an old ht bolt. However I believe Mick Sollis does an adjustable push rod which would save time and make subsequent adjustment easy.
PS the slave cylinder bolts are 7mm size - an odd size but you can get them if needed.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
While a different car, there's a solution to Esprit's at least, and that is to use a AP Racing RS500 clutch and clutch/declutch it with a centralised ring actuator. This way, you can use a very strong clutch and still have a resonable (human) pressure to work it at the pedal. Don't know if the same could be applied to a 40', but probably.
Kind regards

Neil

Supporter
While a different car, there's a solution to Esprit's at least, and that is to use a AP Racing RS500 clutch and clutch/declutch it with a centralised ring actuator. This way, you can use a very strong clutch and still have a resonable (human) pressure to work it at the pedal. Don't know if the same could be applied to a 40', but probably.
Kind regards
Yes, using a "coaxial" throwout bearing is a possibility but when the seals leak, removing and replacing it is far more difficult that a conventional hydraulic slave cylinder.

Back