Wheel fixing

Hi all. I need to ask a question about the difference between using five nuts to hold the wheels on or using one star type spinner. I realise its a bit of an obvious/silly question as there are a lot of pictures and posts to look at, never the lass!. Where do the two methods of mounting the wheel differ? This is were I cant make it out from pictures alone. Do you start off with a five stud hub and put some sort of adaptor over it using the threaded pins to drive a single spinner wheel nut or are the hubs different altogether?. At the moment I have a set of Cortina uprights and hubs with five threaded pins to take five nuts. Do I have the option of using an adaptor to go to single sinner type wheel mount or do I have to discard the hubs I have I in favour of a dedicated single spinner type hub? Thanks .

Fred,
I have seen these out of the UK. Adpter to covert to pin drive.
Dave
www.racecarsdirect.com/listing/22473/centre_locking_hubs_uni_lug.html#SlideFrame_1
hubs.jpg

Charlie M

Supporter
Fred,

Both Vintage Wheels and PS Engineering sell the pin drive adapters. The lug pins secure the adapter and also act as the pins to drive the wheels.

Here's a picture from the Vintage Wheels website. Scroll down to the AD01 adapter.
:: Welcome To Vintage Wheels ::

Charlie

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Fred,
The hubs you have probably aren't Cortina as Cortinas have four studs. They are most likely 5 stud Ford Granada (probably MK2 Granada as per GTD).
There are two options:-
One - buy adaptors which bolt to your hub ( as advice above) and then use knock on pin drive wheels. They do however add considerable unsprung weight and the offset on the new wheels will need to be calculated. Try not to dent your expensive wheel rims with the big hammer when you knock them up tight. Also most people wire lock them for peace of mind.

Two - bolt your wheels on with the normal 5 nuts and buy some hub cap type spinners which fasten into the wheel centre with hex grub screws. These are what I have.

The cars were fitted with knock on wheels originally to enable fast wheel changes. They are original but if you don't need speed the 5 nuts is probably more secure. However with option two keep the allen key for the grub screws in the car or you won't be changing wheels anytime soon!
Cheers
Mike

Back