Where to put down deposit?

G

Where can you put down a deposit on the new GT40? I suspect that only certain Ford dealerships will actually end up getting one. Does anyone know the max production numbers yet?

MWGT40

Supporter
I believe that only 4,000 to 4,500 will be produced IN TOTAL. Getting hold of one is EXTREMELY difficult. You ave to be a top selling Ford dealership in the US to get allocated just one car! In Europe, we are only getting allocated 100 cars in total, all of which are left hand drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Keep in mind that Ford has not yet announced what dealers are actually getting a car. The current story is that "President's Award" dealers will get the first cars to be diatributed and after that the cars will be allocated via a lottery to the remaining qualified dealers.

I have seen people paying a premium to someone who says "I have delivery spot number 1 at XYZ dealership"....they may have the first spot BUT the dealer may never get a car! I saw an eBay auction where some fish paid $10,000 for the rights to the first car from a Toronto dealer, said dealer may or may not ever get a Ford GT!

Until the distribution system is announced it is a crap shoot at best. Perhaps the safest thing would be to find a "President's Award" dealership that will take a deposit (small) with an agreed price (i.e. list or X over list as there are no published prices yet) and then take additional deposit when the confirm they are getting the car or return the deposit if they do not get a car.

This will protect both the buyer and the dealer.

Rick

Hard to say what the best strategy is for acquiring a new Ford GT. If you wait until they are sold to the public you will be looking at a minimum of a $20,000 premium for the car IMO, if you can even find someone who will sell you one. If you put a deposit down now you will still overpay and you may either not get one at all or you may have to wait a long time for yours to come in. You should probably get out and meet a lot of dealership owners or sales managers and see if anyone will work with you. Whatever you do, make sure you get in writing that your deposit is fully refundable.

Good luck in finding a new Ford GT next year. Also, please consider registering here as there are a lot of knowledgeable people who may be able to help you out.

Save your money and get a proper GT40. A replica can be so much better. Both in terms of value and performance.

Regards,

J.P

Going with a reproduction or the new Ford GT is a good question. How bad do you want the car? Do you really want to pay over list price for one? Why even pay list price? Yes, everyone wants a new Ford GT but is there really a market for a thousand of these cars at $135,000 to $150,000 each, list price. Look what happen to the new T-Bird. It's going out of production. Why, cause nobody want them. Why did this happen? Why did dealers always ask for over list price on these things? Did dealers chase away the market? Just like the T-Bird, wait a year and you should be able to get a new Ford GT under list price. I just don't think there is as big a market for the new Ford GT as Ford hopes there will be. Time will tell, but mark my words.

Back