Which engine for my MK IV project?

For a long time now I have been thinking about which engine I should use.
Unfortunately I have no experience at all about Ford V8's
I want to use the engine together with an Audi R8 Graziano gearbox.
The car is only used on trackdays, because a registration in DE is probably not possible.
My idea so far is a 351W 408/410 or 427
The weight is of course an issue but my butget is not infinite, Corona does not help ...
I am interested in a solid engine for racing.
I don't need absolute top performance, simple drivability is the main thing.
I need a ready-to-install motor, because I simply don't know enough about it and I don't have enough tools.

Could you give me some tips?

Udo

Supporter
My first V8 is a retrofit and strokered Windsor, that I bought from a dealer in Germany. The engine has 30.000 km done, no complaints. It works good for the Cobra for cruising, but no more torque above 4.000 upm. For the GT40, I bought a Ford Racing 347, new crate, with Borla Eightstack injection, price more than double. If you want an 302 old block, and bring it to vintage race spec, this would start at 10.000€, some will take for racing spec up to 30-40 k€. I hope that the 347 will run, it‘s build for circle track. So, as always, too many options. For TÜV, I hope to be close to get the license soon. If you want, we can call over the phone

I would put in an engine that belongs in a mk IV.
427 FE sideoiler.
There are several companys that sell a full alloy version of that 427 FE sideoiler, ready to run.

In a MKIV in my mind there is only one engine type... Any FE engine- thats the only option ! Having said that there are some simple ways of making them user friendly. Unless you like working on them stick to a cast iron block. There is less expansion/contraction factor to deal with and Iron heads are fine as well. That way you only have to deal with an alloy intake manifold which due to its size/width will move around a lot. Regular re-torque sessions will be needed . Finally, resist the temptation to go big on stroke and bore size, a well built 390 or 410 should last a very long time and wont break stuff like axles, transaxles etc. A 427 will have very thin cyl walls on any production block. I dont know what availibility will be like in Germany for engine cores to build from which might make the process difficult for you. You have my email, feel free to ask further on that if you wish.

In which cars have the most FE been used in the past?
A used engine to adjust the frame would be not bad for the beginning, I could have it overhauled.
But it is not easy to find if you don't know exactly what you are looking for ... :)

Easy, most Ford 60s cars, pickup trucks and vans came with a Winsor or an FE.
360ci, 390ci, 427ci, 428ci.
Ford pickups had them till '76 (360 & 390).

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
332, 352, 361, 360T, 361T, 390T, 390, 391T, 406, 410, 427, 428 for the complete push rod lineup.
Yessir... There were some of the 352 engines back in 1960 that were real screamers and could put the hurt on anything Chevrolet made at the time. 6,000 RPM was just a walk in the park for them. I'd build one of those or maybe a 390 for a Mk4 and enjoy a nice docile engine that would still roast the tires when asked to..

Yessir... There were some of the 352 engines back in 1960 that were real screamers and could put the hurt on anything Chevrolet made at the time. 6,000 RPM was just a walk in the park for them. I'd build one of those or maybe a 390 for a Mk4 and enjoy a nice docile engine that would still roast the tires when asked to..
Thinking along same lines as me Randy. To explain my line of thought... back in the early 70's the Ford Nascar guys were still using standard production cast iron crankshafts, running them up in the 7500/8000 RPM range. Thats with 3.5" stroke. So take the 3.3" or 3.5" early FE cranks that have same main brg dia and slightly larger rod brg dia and slightly more meat in the crank webs you have a good strong cast iron crankshaft. Then consider that current nascar bore & stroke is around 4.150" by 3.25" an FE built with the 4.125" bore & 3.3" stroke with a really long rod (7.00"+) is right in the happy zone. Make sure the valve train is light and some good heads.

Okay, guys,
390 "screamer" doesn't sound bad ;)
First I have to find a used engine.
What has to be considered when buying?
It's probably difficult to detect some problem areas without opening the engine.
Are there any weak points on the block that you can see before disassembling it?

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
Some info here......

Its difficult as the only FE blocks I have seen for sale are in the USA, I would suggest asking a reputable machinist in the USA to source and inspect a block for you, and if they can do that then perhaps ask them to do the machining work also so you have a block ready for assembly.

I have a 302 block and had the bores increased by 20 thou, faces skimmed, freeze plugs and cam bearings installed and the smaller oil holes threaded and plugged. All done by a machinist in the UK and it requires special tools.

US army had F250's before the Dodges W200 stationed in Germany. They all got sold to the public. I had a 76 and a 77 W200 and now own a 73 F250 with service history.
Those Ford trucks came with 360FE. Loads have been swapped for bigger engines.
Germany had and still has a big US car community probably feeded by all those GI's stationed in Germany.
So it must be possible to find an FE in Germany.

For a long time now I have been thinking about which engine I should use.
Unfortunately I have no experience at all about Ford V8's
I want to use the engine together with an Audi R8 Graziano gearbox.
The car is only used on trackdays, because a registration in DE is probably not possible.
My idea so far is a 351W 408/410 or 427
The weight is of course an issue but my butget is not infinite, Corona does not help ...
I am interested in a solid engine for racing.
I don't need absolute top performance, simple drivability is the main thing.
I need a ready-to-install motor, because I simply don't know enough about it and I don't have enough tools.

Could you give me some tips?
Same question, building a MK1 using a Porsche 996 Transaxle. Will a 351w stroked to 427 be too much torque for the 996?

QTVN2160.JPG
OFVE4884.JPG

Howard Jones

Supporter
OK so how about a 390 @ 10 to 1 compression, moderate aluminum heads such as Edelbrock's, a 280 dur, 540 lift ish hyr roller cam, and a 750 double pumper on a dual plane aluminum intake. That should get you a solid 450 hp and not need to rev the motor over 6500 to do it.. The 390 will be a bit heavier than a big 351 but I would think less than a 100 pounds. And..... you get the correct look after all.

Then a 930 Porsche with a quaife TBD in it. They can live with that much power if correctly rebuilt using standard Porsche parts and you drive the car like it's your money.

Everything will work well with each other for a very long time, run on pump gas, and not break the bank. Well not TOO much.

You will have as close as can be done within reason to the original powertrain including a 4 speed.

Last edited:
Hello, Howard,
Thanks for your answer.
After many people here in the forum gave me very well-founded answers, I decided to go for a modified 390. Just as you described it.
My only problem is that I haven't found an engine builder here in Germany yet who would build such an engine for me. Unfortunately, I have been hit on the nose with some other engine projects with my previous cars and therefore I am a bit more cautious than before.
Here in Germany there are many people who talk big, demand a lot of money but deliver little.
Here I also have the problem that I don't know anything about US V8 and therefore I can't check what people tell me.

It is not so easy, but it will be alright.
If someone here knows a good engine builder in Germany or EU,
I am grateful for any information.

Back