Will Ford build it I HOPE SOOO!!!!!

G

Here are some pics:

L_ford_gt403qtr.jpg

L_Ford_GT4013.JPG

Jeff

DEAR BILL PLEASE DON'T. THIS THING IS 16 INCHES LONGER,7 INCHES WIDER,3 INCHES HIGHER WITH THEME PARK WHEELS. IT AIN'T A GT40. BILL A FRIEND OF MINE HAS A 1914 MODEL T WITH DISC FRONT BRAKES AND A COUNTER BALANCED CRANK. TRUE. THE MODEL T WAS A FAR LARGER SELLER THAN THE GT40 SO IF YOU DROP THAT IDEA I PROMISE TO TELL EVERYONE THE T MODEL CONCEPT CAR WAS YOURS.

Well, I like it, as one of the best "almost" GT40's.
Of course they have "refined" it, as in a watering down of the wonderful butch, macho, wicked, mean (call it what you want!) styling..
Unless they keep it as raw and uncompromising as the Dodge Viper it would be a fizzer.
But, more than ten inches in the wheelbase?
And, probably much heavier?
It reeks of a PR exercise for the new Ford President, no doubt a project from Jac Nasser's time..
Rob (who might be a bit cynical about show cars)
rolleyes.gif

Blue Oval Billy says in the video clip that it is a "...concept car that symbolizes where we're heading...". Can we really be heading back to 1965-69? It would be SOOO SWEET... but I really don't think it will happen, do you Bill?
wink.gif

Well guys for what it's worth, I think that they went to far, part of the appeal (to me at least) of the original '40 is the absolute lack of angles and straight lines. It's a piece of rolling art. The "new" car has too many angles, they sharpened the front fenders, squared the radiator intake, flattened the doors, etc...The sensuous aspect of the design is gone. Brian

What's all the fuss about? The mere fact that Ford, with a rather rich motorsports heritage over many years, selected the GT40 as the concept car that would directionally signal where they are headed should be wildly celebrated...especially amongst the folks on this forum. That the GT40 should be an icon for Ford is validation of the timelessness of the original, and recognizes that all the passion that fuels this forum is well founded. Don't forget, the past year has produced much that Ford would like you to forget...such as tires and Explorers.

I got a call from a pal who works for one of the car books. He was standing this morning at the stand with the GT40, and he just had to call- the car moved him that much. I can't wait to see it, and will go to Detroit next week to do so. Oh, I also asked my bud to get a press kit, so if he scores, I'll try to get it up on the forum.

G

Hey Guys,

Let's face it. This "40" updated or "44"
if you like is still neater than any performance car Ford has sold since the days
of the Shelbys/Boss 302/Boss 429/etc.
No one should complain that it's not exactly
like the original, because that was never
Ford's intent...nor should it be.

And even though I can't afford one, It will most DEFINITELY raise public interest in the original cars and the replicas that followed. And to 99% of of us who love the "40", that is a good thing.

My only concern is if some bozo at Ford tries to make a name by shutting
down the "40" replica industry ala Ferrari.

MikeD

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
You know, that's the first thing I thought of: will Ford turn territorial about the GT40 name and body shape and start hassling companies like RF, Phil Ware, ERA and all the other small entrepreneurs who are recreating a hand-built- limited appeal car for the small group of enthusiasts who want one? I hope not. The problem is, people who know what the original car is/was are such a small group that if Ford walks all over us and this tiny cottage industry, it won't make much of a splash no matter how badly they behave.
"Theme park wheels" I love it. That and the air scoops which weren't blended into the body as on the old car. Still, it's a good looking effort. And, on a space frame. Clearly, Tennant Panels weren't answering their phone this time around..."Didn't you hear us? NO MORE RACE CAR CHASSIS!!!"
Jim R
mad.gif

I read the article about the "new" GT40 in this months Car and Driver. Although the car looks nice, it's in no way a replacement for the original GT40. A better term would be a substitute.

The longer wheelbase, the supercharged engine, and the higher stance just don't appeal to me. However, I do like the dash layout which is more refined.

I seriously doubt that Ford will put this car into production, given the current economy.

Personally, if I had to choose between the new GT40 and a replica, I would go with the replica.

Bill D
grin.gif

Well, let me at least add some positive notes:

blown 5.4 modular twin cam 500HP/500lbs. ft.
nothing to sneeze at.

with 18" and 19" wheels (wheels that size
almost never make it to production), I can
see where the added height comes from. Drop
it to 17" with normal Z rated tires, and you
can drop 2"+ from the height.

RBT ZF 6spd !!!! Need I say more!

Now, I agree that the theme park wheels need
to go (they look awfully close to the new
Edelbrock wheels, hmmmmm), and adding 10"
to the wheelbase (obviously to facilitate
cockpit comfort, especially for those over
6'2) seems too much. But otherwise, it's
not bad. Of course, with a sticker of $100K
US, I'd rather build my own RF, pocket the
extra $25K, and still blow it away
cool.gif

Ian

I will be very surprised if they can bulid that car under 3400 lbs. As you can tell there is a significant difference between build methods between typical ford production cars (or most any other company) and typical race car construction. Stamped steel everthing versus tube steel (body, frame, control arms). Look at fastener technologies. Most well done GT40 kits will be significantly better built, etc then most production cars.

in the australian press today is an article on the new "gt40" with insiders saying it will go into production with a price of 'about US150000. !!!!!!! there is also a photo taken from above and our glorious filler caps have been replaced with a couple of things that look like bath plugs ... thats if my maths are correct $US75000 per plug!!!!!!! regards

Has anyone else noticed that this car has no windscreen wipers? Always a dead giveaway that "production" was not in the minds of its creators.

Incidentally, I must agree that the existence of this car should be seen as something very positive. All us GT40 owners should be very flattered that "our" model still has the ability to take such prominence in the minds of the image-makers.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

Don't forget that officially the car is to "show you a concept car that will symbolize where we are heading" [Bill]. That means they want to show off their modular engine and what they can do to it, showing what parts will be available over the counter (DOHC heads, blower). Using the aluminum 427 from shelby would have been way easier (the big block is a little bit longer, but much narrower and at least twice as light), but it defeats the point of showing things. The GT90 signaled the direction in styling which gave life to Focus, but have we seen the production of GT90? Granted, it's much easier to make the GT40, I don't think they'll do it. And even if they do, I don't care much: $100K might as well be 2 million as far as my bank is concerned

Back