XB-70

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
The USAF Museum is in the process of moving all the experimental aircraft to their new hanger. Seeing the XB-70 outside was a rare treat and something that may never happen again.

I took these pics today:

Last edited:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Man oh man that was a cool aircraft!!!!

Thanks for snapping the pics and sharing them!

Steve

Supporter
My dad got to go inside that beast when he was in the USAF. I think it was in a hanger, I don't think he flew in it.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Doesn't even look real. It's amazing some of the stuff that was created back then (and before then). Wonder why they took the engines out? And struts on the vertical stabilizers? Unless I'm mistaken, didn't this and the A12 (or SR71) get developed simultaneously?

Something I didn't know about this aircraft:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCORwUxlNQo

Last edited:

PeteB

GT40s Supporter
Engines are still in it. Don't know why they added the struts.

XB-70 and the A12 were developed at the same time. There was a proposal for a reconnaissance version, but the A12 won out and became the SR-71.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I would love to know just how fast the SR71 could really fly... I know the published figures are somewhat slower according to a couple of engineers that worked on the engine maintenance team in Palmdale (I believe)..

I was not aware that the XB-70 was developed roughly the same time - I thought the XB-70 came in the 70's...
I love the education I get here!!

Back