ZF 5DS25-2 FOR SALE

ZF 5DS25-2 Transaxle completely rebuilt by RBT Transmissions with new top plate, Lock wired bolts-still in packing crate

[ December 08, 2002: Message edited by: Roy Snook ]

Well, Roy
It sounds to me as if you got yourself a bellhousing with a mark one box attached??
Now I know you are serious!
Well done

Regards

Chris
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Roy Am I to understand that this zf trainy is for sale?....If so...give me call, or e/mail me.

MWGT40

Supporter
Can I be so bold to ask how much (email me if you do not want to disclose on the board)

Thanks, Martin

Martin
It's my understanding that the ZF has been sold..........sorry for the bad news.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
ZF boxes are still available from RBT. Also there is a Pantera parts supplier in Tampa, FL who had type 2 ZFs available for a while, I am getting mine from him. I don't know if he has any left. If you are looking for one email me directly and I'll try to put you in touch. The box from a BMW M1, which is the 5DS25-2, will fit in a GT40. NB: Not all of them have the same gear and final drive ratios!
shocked.gif

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Forgot something- if you are going to drive the car in competition, the ring-gear bolts need to be lockwired, or they will work loose. And the transmission will break if they work loose and start rattling around in there. When the transmission breaks, your bank account breaks too.

The -2 and the -2/M1 are not the same boxes if anybody was wondering...
There are different -2´s as well.
All might have different input shafts as well...
wink.gif

Jim,
As you can see in this photo, the ring gear bolts run VERY close to the case webbing. If the bolts come loose, they back out and the heads of the bolts hit the webs sheering the boltheads off. When you flip the diff (upside down from the Pantera configruation-sets the engine lower in the chassis), you have to have the webbing machined on the opposite side of the housing (to match the factory machining that was done on the other side) so the bolt heads clear.
13091334-8315-02000182-.jpg

[ December 15, 2002: Message edited by: Dave Wharran ]

Several years ago I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to buy my ZF 5DS25-2 GT40 box new, direct from ZF. At the time they had just 'found' 3 in their warehouse and which I believe were the last of the batch ordered by Safir for their Mk5's and subsequently also used by Mallock in their RML GT40's.
I also received from ZF a considerable amount of rebuild, parts, tech data, gear/diff ratios, etc related to the various incarnations of the series 2 transaxle.
If anyone needs help drop me a line and I will try to assist.

Back