ZF flipped for my RCR40

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
I need some help determining what size bolts to use in my ZF per the attached picture (Note that my ZF is shown upside down in the picture). These will be the 2 top bolts that go through the bellhousing and then thread into the ZF. Also, any recommendations on how to assemble? I'm assuming that the ZF has to be mounted to the bellhousing first, and then it all gets attached to the engine? TIA, Rod

Attachments

• ZF1.jpg
    ZF1.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 193

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
is it a ZF-2? and is it going to be bolted to a SBF? (5 or 6 bolt)

Andy,
ZF-2 & SBF. Not sure how you count the bolts as I see a possible 7 attaching holes in the ZF. However there are only 6 in the Bellhousing. Apparently, the bottom ZF attaching point isn't used? See pics attached....
Rod

Attachments

• ZF2.jpg
    ZF2.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Bellhousing1.jpg
    Bellhousing1.jpg
    245.9 KB · Views: 173

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rod, please be absolutely sure to indicate your bellhousing in, in relation to the crankshaft. Your clutch and transaxle longevity depends on this. Look up BryanF’s build. He has a very good write up about it there. If memory serves me correctly, his was out almost.015. It will serve you well to do this.

Found the link

Regards Brian

Last edited:

Phil G

Supporter
Rod
The top 2 bolts should be M10. I chose to screw a threaded stud into the transaxle to act as a dowel to slide into the Bell Housing rather than bolting it from the inside of the Bell Housing.

Also, any recommendations on how to assemble? I'm assuming that the ZF has to be mounted to the bellhousing first, and then it all gets attached to the engine? TIA, Rod
I installed my bellhousing to the engine first and then installed the transaxle. This can be done with your bellhousing. Those bottom two mounts aren't used with the RCR and on my car (Quaife bellhousing) they were very close to the chassis.

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
OK, M10 it is. The Bellhousing is the one Safir sent along with their complete SBF Clutch Pkg. Many thanks to everyone for ALL the great info I glean from this forum. I sometimes think I know the way, but try to be cautious and ask first. With you guys keeping me on the right track, I might be able to drive this thing one day.
Rod

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Rod, no matter who’s bellhousing you use, please indicate it in. Manufacturing tolerances stack up and can cause problems. Whoever machined the block could be on the small end of the scale and the manufacturer of the bellhousing could be on the high end. Some time spent on this might save you trouble down the road.
Just my thoughts.

Regards Brian

Back