72 Ford Torino BB

Ron Earp

Admin
That's her!

Lots more has happened in the last few weeks. Frame was cleaned and painted, holes fixed in the car, car blasted, motor out for checking out, interior parts being dyed, etc.

Attachments

• framedone.jpg
    framedone.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 308
  • dolly1.jpg
    dolly1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 290
  • burnemup.jpg
    burnemup.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 313
  • body1.jpg
    body1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 294
  • body2.jpg
    body2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 306
  • rearfloor.jpg
    rearfloor.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 292
  • runout.jpg
    runout.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 309

Ron Earp

Admin
The problem I had was that one foot outside that frame is the dryer duct from the house. When I finally came in the Minister of Domestic Affairs informed me that I'd stunk up the house and that I'd be on my own for the rest of the evening. Got all the bushings out though.

That's her!

Lots more has happened in the last few weeks. Frame was cleaned and painted, holes fixed in the car, car blasted, motor out for checking out, interior parts being dyed, etc.

what size engine is in there if BB its has to be 429 if not its got to be a 351c and thats not a BB as its bore centers are the same as a 302 ford only made one BB engine and that was the 429 family

302 351W 351C are small blocks

352 390 427 427SC 428 are y block or better know as side oilers

429 460 are fords thinwall Big Blocks

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
352 390 427 427SC 428 are y block or better know as side oilers

A "Y" block is a 292/312 series from 1954 on. The above blocks are "FE" and some can be "FT" blocks, very different from a "Y" block engine. And only some 427s were "side oilers" the great preponderance of FEs are not side oilers.

A "Y" block is a 292/312 series from 1954 on. The above blocks are "FE" and some can be "FT" blocks, very different from a "Y" block engine. And only some 427s were "side oilers" the great preponderance of FEs are not side oilers.
Actually the FE series of engines were Y blocks as well as the big block mopars and most of the new engines that have cross bolted mains.

yes the term Y block is any V engine where the oil pan rails extend beyond the crankshaft centerline hence the Y shape

V blocks the oil pan rails intersect the crank center line forming a V shape

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
True yes, but in Fordland a "Y" block is a particular series, ie.e the 292/312 etc.

While the new 5.0 "Coyote" has a deep skirt block, no one in the Ford world calls it a "Y" block.

True yes, but in Fordland a "Y" block is a particular series, ie.e the 292/312 etc.

While the new 5.0 "Coyote" has a deep skirt block, no one in the Ford world calls it a "Y" block.

not only ford but chevy ls and the new dodge semi hemi is also based on a Y block as the pan rails exceed the crank center line my point was Ford only produced one big block engine and that was the 429 series engines and all big block engines are of the V style not the Y style and a cleveland or M series engine is not a big block they are a dirivative of the asusi 302 cleveland that was there small block ford V8 where as the 230 260 289 302 351 W series is the US version of the ford small block

not only ford but chevy ls and the new dodge semi hemi is also based on a Y block as the pan rails exceed the crank center line my point was Ford only produced one big block engine and that was the 429 series engines and all big block engines are of the V style not the Y style and a cleveland or M series engine is not a big block they are a dirivative of the asusi 302 cleveland that was there small block ford V8 where as the 230 260 289 302 351 W series is the US version of the ford small block

:) Hogwash, up til 71 the aussies used the 302w/351w in the falcon, then when the 351c phased out the 351w they made the crank/rods/heads to be able to make both 302/351 based on the 351c block. In 74 when USA production of 351c finished patterns etc were sent to Australia for all 351 casting production...in that interim period of 72 thru 74 all aussie 351 blocks/motors were sourced ex USA. Any aussie 302c can be converted into a 351c simply by swapping crank & rods along with adjusting the compression to suit your application

'M' series are a seperate item-3" mains,taller deck height, dual engine mount bolt pattern provision, bell housing has 429/460 bolt pattern.

Go back much further & include some of the Lincoln/Mercury stuff & you get really 'big block' stuff with even more CID like the ones fitted to larger ford F series trucks... most of these could be described as being 'Y' blocks as well. Interesting point is the crank from a 429/460 ( 385 series ) will fit in the old Lincoln Mercury 430 etc cu in motor due to same bore centers, but the two engines were about 12 years apart in production.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Big Y Block

my point was Ford only produced one big block engine and that was the 429 series engines and all big block engines are of the V style

Joe --

If "Ford built only one big block and it's the 429 series," then what (for example) was that distinctly "Y-shaped" cross-bolt-main 427 found in the GT40 Mk II?

Tall? Grande? Vente?

If you look around a little more I think you'll discover that the term "big block Ford" actually covers both:
  1. 352 390 427 427SC 428
    and
  2. 429 460
Sorry, it's not a pure terminology.

Last edited:
:) Hogwash, up til 71 the aussies used the 302w/351w in the falcon, then when the 351c phased out the 351w they made the crank/rods/heads to be able to make both 302/351 based on the 351c block. In 74 when USA production of 351c finished patterns etc were sent to Australia for all 351 casting production...in that interim period of 72 thru 74 all aussie 351 blocks/motors were sourced ex USA. Any aussie 302c can be converted into a 351c simply by swapping crank & rods along with adjusting the compression to suit your application

'M' series are a seperate item-3" mains,taller deck height, dual engine mount bolt pattern provision, bell housing has 429/460 bolt pattern.

Go back much further & include some of the Lincoln/Mercury stuff & you get really 'big block' stuff with even more CID like the ones fitted to larger ford F series trucks... most of these could be described as being 'Y' blocks as well. Interesting point is the crank from a 429/460 ( 385 series ) will fit in the old Lincoln Mercury 430 etc cu in motor due to same bore centers, but the two engines were about 12 years apart in production.

I was loking up the history of the falcon made in your home country and it is stated the windsor 351 was fased out in 1970 and replaced with the 351C and in 71 replaced with the aussie version of the 351c closed chamber heads only made in australia and in 72 intoduced the 302c but the cleveland engine was introduced in the US and Austrailia at the same time 1970
my apoligies for mistaking the time the 302C came out

and the other engines you mentioned are the MEL 383 410 430 462 that where based on the lincon Y block MEL is merc edsel lincon engine family

Ron Earp

Admin
Ford MEL engine seem pretty cool. I don't know that much about them other than I like the way they look, on the rare occasions I actually see one in a car.

The Torino is to be painted tomorrow. Meanwhile I'm getting busy hanging the suspension back on the chassis and making it a roller. I'm boxing in all the arms as best I can and have poly bushings all around to help firm things up, as well as some custom length/rate springs all around. Shocks still stink but that'll be fixed.

The 'BIG' ones I was trying To remember earlier were known as the 'Super Duty', introduced around 1958 and 534 cu in ( plus a couple of smaller cid versions as well), fitted to Ford Trucks and also known as 'Sea Masters' in the marine field, friend found a couple recently & is letting his brain run wild trying to think of a home for them- Im sure it will be 'out there' :)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ford MEL engine seem pretty cool. I don't know that much about them other than I like the way they look, on the rare occasions I actually see one in a car.

The MEL series is VERY different! The block surfaces for the heads is not machined at 90 degrees to each other like most blocks, they are on the order of 85 degrees and the heads are flat with no combustions chambers. The angle forms a wedge shaped combustion chamber. They have a vacuum pump built into the oil pump with lines coming out thru the pan. Unlike m ost any other Ford V8 in every way......

Ron Earp

Admin
The 'BIG' ones I was trying To remember earlier were known as the 'Super Duty', introduced around 1958 and 534 cu in ( plus a couple of smaller cid versions as well), fitted to Ford Trucks and also known as 'Sea Masters' in the marine field, friend found a couple recently & is letting his brain run wild trying to think of a home for them- Im sure it will be 'out there' :)

Never heard of those either but they sound cool! And heavy, but maybe not if they were used in boats. I was thinking that was one unique feature about the FEs was that they were light compared to comparable size Chebby and Mopar muscle. Maybe these Sea Masters are too.

I am happy the "Put a Ford in your Ford" thing is sort of coming back with the rod crowd. Flatheads, SBs, and on super rare occasions you'll see a BB Ford in a rod or custom. Shame to see a Chebby in an all steel Ford rod.

Ford BBs, of all types, are still sort of rare to see. Here in NC there seems to be a following of the 385 BBs for the mud truck crowd. Apparently they are fairly easy to stretch on displacement (especially the SVO block, I think it goes to 800 inches) and the motors last and compete well. And Kaase is doing the Boss 429 repro heads/intake/etc now which are pretty awesome.

Mark I rarely see those MELs but I can ID one because it is so unique. They do look cool. I was trying to talk a friend of mine who was doing a Lincoln Zephyr Coupe into using one but he's one of the concurs crowd and went original, flat head V12 and all. Cool car though, in fact here is a pic of it from a show.

Whoa, found a Sea Master ad. 277 honest hp! And only 1300 lbs. Of course a lot of that weight is boat specific hardware.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/4248...+truck+motor+marine+conversion+from+the+1960s

printer1960.jpg

Attachments

• cecilz.jpg
    cecilz.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 230
Back