72 Ford Torino BB

last time I seen that engine was the 532 that was in a 5 ton ford truck back in 67 very low rpm that trucks tach redlined at 3800 rpm and I agree totaly with Rons coment on ford in ford chev in chev and chrysler in chrysler put the right engine in the car it is based on all makes of engines can be made super reliable with todays technoligy and make good HP numbers I personaly dont like hodge podge chevies in fords and chevies in mopars its just not right

The one thing here in canada there where very few Torino GT's that came with the C engines most where 302 or 351W engines and a few with the 429 my 70 GT was equiped with the 428 SCJ that I owned back in 75 and my 72 grand torino was a 351w most 351 equiped fords made in Canada where all 351W and a few where snuck in by dealers with the cleveland so cleveland torinos are rare in my neck of the woods

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The one thing here in canada there where very few Torino GT's that came with the C engines most where 302 or 351W engines and a few with the 429 my 70 GT was equiped with the 428 SCJ that I owned back in 75 and my 72 grand torino was a 351w most 351 equiped fords made in Canada where all 351W and a few where snuck in by dealers with the cleveland so cleveland torinos are rare in my neck of the woods

Because the "Winsor" engimes were made in, wait for it......Windsor, Onartrio! To meet local content regulations Ford pushed the Windsors in all Canadian units to allow for the import of cars with parts not made in Canada. Free trade changed all of that......

Ron Earp

Admin
Stopped by the shop and the Torino is getting painted. Hope to have some pictures of it Monday sometime. Hope it comes out well. Naturally I'm not looking for a show type of job as this car is to be used, but it'll be nice if the color sits well on the car.

Ron Earp

Admin
Dear Ford, the next time you build a 1972 Gran Torino please remember to box the lower control arms, mkay? Two tons of fun can't be controlled with leftover spam and c-ration cans. Thank you.

Your faithful friend,
Ron

Attachments

• weldingup.jpg
    weldingup.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 280

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Just went for a ride in my 72 Dodge Charger. Very odd how Ron and I like very specific muscle car models. The 72 Gran Tornino is a one year only style with that grill; the 72 Charger is essentiallythe same as the 71 but styling changed quite a bit on the rear 3/4 in 73-74.

Anyway, these things are just COOL street cars. I just got back from getting a sandwhich while I work on preparing for some court tomorrow, and man did I enjoy the driving this thing -- I had not since we'd had some snow and ice the last few days.

When you work on them, they handle and steer decent, and the torque is great. Brakes fine, and the styling is, well, you don't see cars like this anymore.

STill "modern enough" to drive everyday too.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I don't think you would want an old Seamaster engine, Ron. Some of them were sea-water cooled, which means the block would be eaten out from the inside passages unless the boat had only been run in fresh water. And they were heavy- even with the marine manifolds etc 1300 lbs is a lot- my Cummins marine diesels don't weigh that much each. I'd vote for a 420-something- 427, 428, or 429. Confusing that they made so many engines with similar displacements.

I know the 427 side-oiler blocks were the big thing in the sixties, but isn't it true that you can get just as much hp and torque now from a 429 or 460, and spend less money in the bargain?

Is this going to be a street car or a track car, or is it the daily driver for the kid in the photos when she gets her splint off? I think you are making her work too hard.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Jim,

I've already got the motor built and it is based on the 385 series (429/460). Yes, in my opinion you can make more power from the 429/460 series than you can with the FE motors and do so less expensively. Just a lot out there for the 385 motors in the way of blocks, heads, hardware, and such.

Did the 385 series ever go to Aus or NZ for any purpose?

Car is now blue.

Attachments

• bodyinblue.JPG
    bodyinblue.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 249
  • bodypartsinblue.JPG
    bodypartsinblue.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 250

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Ron, is that color "Grabber Blue"? Looks great.

That it is, 2011 Grabber Blue which might be a bit more "blue" than the earlier Grabber Blue. Or, it might be that most of the early Grabber Blue cars from the 70s that I've seen are faded. It'll have black trim and highlights.

Ron Earp

Admin
Was there a lot of sheetmetal to replace on this body ( does not look like it) ?

TOM

Not a lot. It did require new floor pans but it is rare to find an original car that doesn't need that at some point. The car had a vinyl roof so Ford didn't finish the A pillars and roof the way they would with a non-vinyl roof car. So there was some work there to be done. But overall very solid and it is coming out well.

I'm with Jeff in that sometimes a car just "speaks to you". I know why I like this year Torino - a friend of my dad's had one when I was a kid and I always loved the hood scoops on them. But mostly, this year Torino is quite unpopular with the true Ford crowd. Most of them favor the 71 and earlier Torinos which are very much different, looking more early sixtyish with the slab sides and lack of curves. Me, I think the 72 is pretty cool and if anything pretty rare.

A fun project and a much needed break from the hustle and bustle of race car work. I dig it.

Hey Jim,

I've already got the motor built and it is based on the 385 series (429/460). Yes, in my opinion you can make more power from the 429/460 series than you can with the FE motors and do so less expensively. Just a lot out there for the 385 motors in the way of blocks, heads, hardware, and such.

Did the 385 series ever go to Aus or NZ for any purpose?

Car is now blue.

colour reminds me of the 3 72 spirit fords I bought back in 79 off a ford dealers back lot they sold me all 3 cars for 800 dollars Mustang Maverik and the pinto runabout 3 months later the same dealer came by and bought the cars back from me for 5 time what i payed for them and has had them in storage ever since the mustang was a 351 C the Maverik 200 6 pinto was the 2.3 excellent colour choice looking forward to see the finished car

I don't think you would want an old Seamaster engine, Ron. Some of them were sea-water cooled, which means the block would be eaten out from the inside passages unless the boat had only been run in fresh water. And they were heavy- even with the marine manifolds etc 1300 lbs is a lot- my Cummins marine diesels don't weigh that much each. I'd vote for a 420-something- 427, 428, or 429. Confusing that they made so many engines with similar displacements.

I know the 427 side-oiler blocks were the big thing in the sixties, but isn't it true that you can get just as much hp and torque now from a 429 or 460, and spend less money in the bargain?

Is this going to be a street car or a track car, or is it the daily driver for the kid in the photos when she gets her splint off? I think you are making her work too hard.

that engine can be found in most of the Gas cabover ford 3 and 5 ton trucks from 64 to 72 very large engine and very heavy but was not desined to turn over 3600 rpm as full redline is 3800

Ron Earp;3205 Did the 385 series ever go to Aus or NZ for any purpose? [/QUOTE said:
A few were brought in fully built up inthe F series ford trucks along with some in full size Galaxies etc ( mainly for use in Diplomatic service cars etc ) plus I believe that the Galaxie was available as a top of line car indent only in the Aussie lineup. The Antartic 'Deep Freeze' base @ ChCh international airport has/had a constant supply of USA vehicles via the permanent staff ex USA. Many motors also imported as S/H engines for repowers, boats etc in both OZ & NZ

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Torino coming apart over here boss.

Got after it this morning in the garage. Body remove from frame, interior out, and a few other things.

Wow! Your wife looks very young!

Nice body style on that car - I look forward to the "done" pictures.

Ron Earp

Admin
A few were brought in fully built up inthe F series ford trucks along with some in full size Galaxies etc ( mainly for use in Diplomatic service cars etc ) plus I believe that the Galaxie was available as a top of line car indent only in the Aussie lineup. The Antartic 'Deep Freeze' base @ ChCh international airport has/had a constant supply of USA vehicles via the permanent staff ex USA. Many motors also imported as S/H engines for repowers, boats etc in both OZ & NZ

So were FEs common down there in OZ and NZ? How about the Cleveland spin offs like like the 351M and 400M?

So were FEs common down there in OZ and NZ? How about the Cleveland spin offs like like the 351M and 400M?

FE's only really in the 332 version in late 50's/early 60's when fitted to fairlanes & sold thru Ford as new cars & of course prior to that the Customline with 272 was 'the' big Ford car which you could buy if you had access to overseas funds ( IE had a business that earned offshore $$ or were astute enough as a farmer to sell your wool/meat to an offshore buyer), a lot of mustangs and a trickle of virtually every other engine type/model over the years until the late 70's when the floodgates opened & folk were able to import virtually anything, & the shop I worked in was in demand to bring in replacement stuff etc. Only a few 351/400m examples & many of the folk who bought those were not even aware of what was under the hood, just as I suspect many Americans struggle with the various types..:)

Back