72 Ford Torino BB

Ron Earp

Admin
A lot of work got done in the last ten days or so. Back in put together, tank in, front clip on, Z bar in, and the car went to the shop for headers. Headers were a big deal as there is scant room in there for large primaries and collectors. Have pictures of them tomorrow when the car comes back.

Meanwhile, here are a few more pics including the Jeff Young street view.

frontwithclip.jpg

tankafterstripping.jpg

rearshot.jpg

tankinplace.jpg

chevyview.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Well, a lot more progress was made over the last few days. My exhaust gurus at R&J Welding in Apex did a fabulous job on the exhaust (a Camaro they did the exhaust for is going across BJ today). They had to make a lot of modifications to the headers but they are on the car and look great. 3" duals, X pipe, and using the Dynomax Ultraflo Welded mufflers which have been shown to have the flow needed per side that the calculations predict (> 750 cfm per muffler). Everything fits, but it is extremely tight, especially around the Z bar.

Nice job with the system. Tucked up tight and isn't visible at all from the side, even with the current 4x4 righe height. I'm really looking forward to hearing how this engine will sound.

Lots more parts in the garage to go on so it should be a busy and productive next few days.

IMG_6627.JPG

IMG_6625.JPG

IMG_6628.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

IMG_6631.JPG

IMG_6633.JPG

IMG_6620.JPG

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Looking REALLY good Ron....

If those headers are not Ceramic Coated - I would urge you to have this done now rather than pay the price later... The paint, regardless of how good the preparation and application, never holds for long...

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks guys, it is coming along. Doing a lot of plumbing now so it is not much to see but still progressing. I think it'll be a unique piece when done, not something you see every week on BJ for sure. There is probably a reason for that..........

Keith

72 Movie torino that isn't in good shape at all. Wow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Torino-Fast-and-Furious-Hero-73-Grand-Torino-Movie-Car-1-1-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3365c27796QQitemZ220750575510QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks#

I can't imagine that bringing much money but you never know with folks.

I need to put some updates up. Much has happened over the last few weeks.

Ron

You're not 'back door advertising' are you Ron? :worried:

I think you may be allowed though mate... :thumbsup:

BTW that Torino appears to have a nasty leak from the power steering?

Kazoom

CURRENTLY BANNED
WOW, I just stumbled across this forum section, nice build Ron. I thought this site was for gt40s only!, I bought a 72T a while back for another project, I been into muscle cars since I was a teen, I restore them on the side when im not doing collision/movie stuff. I will have to check out the site more.

Ron Earp

Admin
Had some time off with prepping the Z for sale, selling it, working on the TR8 with Jeff, and some vacation with the family. Torino work continues and you can see all the previous pictures and a few more on FB with this link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1674342868150.2090335.1524789574&l=47f27f6b0f

Tomorrow it is off to have the windshields installed, front clip "final fitted", trim installed, and the paint buffed out with some touch up where needed. Once she comes back it is time to get busy on carpets, headliner, and electrics so we can fire it up. I'm really looking forward to cranking that motor over!

I'll tell you what, fitting a front clip isn't as straightforward as I thought. I've got around six or seven hours in the front panels (about eight or nine pieces) all together and it is as close as I can make it but not perfect. I'm hoping my body man can improve upon what I've done.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very cool... I'm really warming up to that shade of blue!

Front clip and door alignment are more art than science...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Hi, Ron...any progress on the '72 to share? I had hoped to hear you're driving it to work already.

Cheers!

Doug

I just found a Clint Eastwood movie called "Gran Torino" in a bargain bin for sale at my local DVD rental place, so I bought it out of interest.

It was not nearly as dire as I feared, and my wife even said she enjoyed it. The car certainly looked good.

The "extra feature" with Clint and others talking about cars was interesting.

Gran Torino

Now I google it, I see that Gran Torino was recognized by the American Film Institute as one of the Ten Best Films of 2008

Cheers

Fred W B

Last edited:
Wow! Would love to see this done.

I had a 72 Gran Torino Sport back in the 80s. Had 351C 2V auto. Picked up a 429 SCJ & 4 speed from a Torino Cobra to put in it. Rats trashed the car when I had it stored in my parent's barn. Would love to get another one
cars014.jpg

Back