72 Ford Torino BB

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,

Can't tell by the pictures and don't remember he build dates, but Ford had a recall in 1972 for the Torino due to axle bearing outer retainers not being stout enough to contain the axle in "spirited" cornering. The fix for cars in the field was an additional retainer plate that was slotted so it could be installed without pulling the axles. Once improved axles and retainers were available, the cars all got a new pair of axles. We had TONS of used Torino axles laying about until one of our techs used them all as "rebar" in tubes and cast a bunch of concrete "logs" to stabilize his driveway culvert.

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright, got all that sort and the disc brakes installed. I took the axles to a friend with a press to get the bearings installed and he knocked it out in short order. He uses Jac Mac's suggestion, start grinding on the retainer and it'll generally pop free before you get all the way through it.

Also setup the Toploader and adjusted the shifting rods and so on. Interesting piece the Toploader is. Simple and effective, like even I can almost understand it.

Back to the engine/tranny mating procedure and the alignment procedure. I have to get that knocked out before Friday. The body comes home on Friday and the plan is to sit it on the chassis in which the engine and transmission are already resting.

Attachments

• reardiscleft.jpg
    reardiscleft.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 239

Ron Earp

Admin
And she's coming back from the paint shop now, a few pieces at a time. The black trim is going to work well I think.

Attachments

• paintedathome.jpg
    paintedathome.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 286
  • insideblue1.jpg
    insideblue1.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 255
  • insidefrontdone.jpg
    insidefrontdone.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 240
  • reartrunkdone.jpg
    reartrunkdone.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 251
  • blackandblue.jpg
    blackandblue.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 260
Look's good Ron. Maybe let it sit in the sun for a few days to cure. Don't want to scratch it putting it together. Get some white mylar sheets to mask the rockers and all other areas. Also that painters tape like Alex is using.
Dave

Ron Earp

Admin
Ed the Dog came over and we put the motor in the chassis. I FINALLY got that damn bell housing lined up. That procedure consumed a lot of my time and patience. I wonder what percentage of guys bolting trannys on motors actually check this stuff?

Hope to put the body on the car later in the week.

R

Attachments

• motorin.jpg
    motorin.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 303

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
This is going to be a cool car. The blue looks REALLY good in person, hard to describe it really, and with the black accents even better.

Cool project.

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright, despite the sinus infection the tranny got mated up to the engine. The chassis is a roller now with all brakes,suspension, steering, engine, and tranny. Anyone care to estimate weight? I'm going to scale it for shits and giggles. Hint, the motor came in at 589 lbs with the accessories in place, no carb/headers but with very light ally flywheel.

Attachments

• trannyin.jpg
    trannyin.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 240

Ron Earp

Admin
Clowned around a bit more last night and got some weights......whoa!!! 1814 lbs. Don't worry about the corner weights as the wheels were not bolted on and all was askew and the suspension is at different heights.

total.jpg

Glenn M

Supporter
Glad to see you've got a couple of different sized 'adjusting sticks' in the rolling chassis pic Ron. I'd hate to think that you didn't have the right tools!
I'm mightily impressed with all the trouble you're going to on my favourite car. Can't wait to get back and drive it again.

Glenn

Ron Earp

Admin
More progress. Fuel lines run down the frame rails along with battery cable for trunk mounted battery. Body on!

bodyup1.JPG

bodyup2.JPG

bodyup3.JPG

rollingframeside.JPG

leftbodyon.JPG

ronintorino.JPG

underear.JPG

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Beautiful.... Looks a lot like Petty Blue! :) Love the look the wheels give it!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Randy, as good as it looks in pictures, in person it's stunning. The blue is awesome, a bit more "fisher price" (bad word) than Petty Blue. Definitely a Ferd color.

It's a cool car. Enjoy working on it.

Back