CAV GT 40 #47 Gulf Spec

This thread confirms my suspicion that one out of every three threads on this site end up talking about transaxles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Yep, and you would think there would be more talk about motors! After all, they are what make the car fun!

Transmissions (transaxles) are not sexy in any way, but folks like to talk about them, that is for sure. I think I'll stop talking about them for good now. Run what you brung and forget the talk,

Ron

Since I was in Las Vegas yesterday to check out my car, I did check which vacuum pump they put in, and it is the MP Brakes one that I posted the link to.

THX Steve. My guys are in the look out for one as well. I also gave them a print out of your link and the pic of the pump.

To all the Canadians that own a GT40 of any type. I will be in Ottawa from the 2nd to the 5th of July. If anyone there has a GT40 I would like to hook up see the car and talk shop. Just let me know.

I'm in Newmarket, not Ottawa, but please let us Southern Ontario GT40 fans know when and where your new love will be on display.

Ok pallison! As soon as #47 is ready I will let you know. I'm hoping that it will be July 11/12. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Just an update guys. The ZF tranny is still NOT arrived yet. I'm hoping this week and then another week to complete install and some road testing and carb tuning. Boy this is taking a lot longer than I anticipated. The biggest hold up being the tranny. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

frknfast,

Why are you using IDA's? You'll be wasting them on an engine like that. I went down almost exactly the same route. I really wanted IDA's because they were on the orginal 40's ,BUT, they are a nightmare to get the best from them. Unless you dyno your engine each time they go out of tune, you'll be throwing HP down the drain! Check out some of the Fuel Injected setups, they look like IDA's, but are so much more user friendly - and once your engine is mapped, its done, won't go out of tune and will give you more HP.

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR CAKE AND EAT IT!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

frknfst,

Just a thought, I'm on vacation the next couple of weeks with not much to do the 2nd week. If another pair of hands would be useful, let me know. (It's not that far to Burlington)

THX JP. I'm trying to go for originality and I have a great set up man who is extremely educated with the weber set up. Plus he's close to home and open Saturdays. So any problems I'm at his shop in less than 10 minutes. By the way he has one of the original aluminum body pounders who worked at AC and built the AC Cobra bodies for ole CS himself. There is no lack of talent here.

pallison thx for the offer. I just finished my 2 weeks holidays and was hoping that the 40 would be road worthy by now. However tranny is the hold up and still hasn't arrived. I will let you know if the guys need an extra pair of hands. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Great News!! The tranny is going to be air frieghted today and will be ready for install Mon of next week. Hopefully it will be ready for road testing by end of next week. Finally!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

frknfast: Something else for you to check on your car while you're waiting for the tranny (assuming you have air conditioning, and if you don't you soon will wish you did /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)... I took mine out for about a 70 mile drive this afternoon with air conditioner going full blast. Had my Inglese carb adjustment manual in the passenger footwell. When I got back home, it was wet. Seems the air conditioning condensor has a drain in the cockpit, but on my car there is no tube attached to take the water outside the car, so it drips down into the cockpit! I'm not sure at this point if this was left out by the factory or removed in Las Vegas & they forgot to put it back in... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

THX for the heads up Steve I will have it checked out. I hope they didn't forget the drain hose. That's a simple item that shoud be there.

NEWS FLASH!!! The tranny HAS arrived. Finally!! Now STUCK in customs for full inspection (otherwise would have been at the shop today) Is it EVER going to end!!!!!??????
I guess patience is a virtue one must learn. ( boy it's getting harder everyday)

Holy Cow the transaxle finally arrived at the shop on Saturday. I actually saw it for first time today just after lunch. Now things can finally start to go together. I'm sure I will still be short pieces here and there for my particular application. I already know that I need a slave cylinder for this pkg. What have you guys been using? The other most recent item is the weber set up needs to be changed to accept side throttle vs rear throttle.
Oh well it will eventually come together.

Update!! All the parts are now in. Transxaxle, clutch, slave cylinder, alum flywheel, carb filters, vac pump misc alum fittings etc. The final assembly will be done this week. Should be ready for road testing by the end of the week and full blown driving the week after. May the car Gods be with me.

Back