CAV GT 40 #47 Gulf Spec

The complete drivetrain is in!! Headers are on (good thing CAV numbered them). Should have its first start up today. Next few days will be fine tuning, adjustments, bleeding of lines etc. I hope to take it out around the block a few times this weekend. Also have made a stainless steel heat shield over intake and in the process of making a heat shield around weber carbs and carb deflector over the top of the carbs. Next week it will be titled and plated. For now using a dealer plate.
Finally complete. First few word I heard in the shop were "Its horny"!!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I suggest a shakedown trip to Buffalo so I can see it.....idleing at the border should test out the cooling system!

Top speed testing could be done on that section between Brantford and Paris, that's where I always "checked my car's upper limit" on the way to Detroit...

Hope you get some good drives!

Rick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Well the clip didn't work. But you can go to my photo site at yahoo.photos.com/frknfast under the cavgt40#2 file and see the pics I've loaded of the entire drivetrain setup.
Enjoy and boy does it sound sweet!!!

Looks like the machine will actually be on the road for the first time tomorrow for a local show and shine and some intial testing. Full set up complete for the weekend.
What a work of art!!
We have had to make a number of adjustments/improvements to get this car pretty much perfect. A lot of work on the clutch to ensure it's smooth as silk and with minimal leg fatigue, pedal adjustments to get more room between the brake and clutch pedals, quick release steering wheel for easy access, better pads for front and rear hoods to protect body work, to name a few. This car according to the mechanics is set up to race LeMans. Maybe 1 day.

What did you do to get a better clutch feel? Mine seems overly stiff, at least compared to what I've driven before (which does include Skip Barber's Formula Fords. I'll get used to it eventually, but I would prefer a little less pedal effort...

Where did you get the parts for the Quick release steering wheel. What are the part nimbers.
Vic
CAV40- #49

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Steve,

We've put a lot of effort into making the ZF application work as smoothly as possible. I can send a list of parts and methodology to you. Please email me back on your own email.

Although CAV has been turning out GT40s for quite a while, the first car for any Distributor or Dealer is the biggest challenge. I have to thank Frknfast for being so patient.

That said, the build quality and materials in the CAV GT are absolutely top shelf. We had to be sure the drive train met those standards.

The real excitement will come from the driving experience (after you recover from the visual impact and sound!). I'm sure Frknfast will keep you posted:)

Attachments

• 21256-47engineIn.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 641
Once it's all said and done I will post a full list of changes made to the car to enhance an already great machine, with the help of Canuck 40 of course.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Vic,

The Quick Release Hub & Steering Colume Shaft End are all race car parts you should be able to buy from any local racer supply. We have chosen an anodized, push button type with a hex drive.

I wouldn't recommend a spline drive for the street. With a six sided post to slide the wheel onto you'll always end up with the steering wheel strait. Since this picture was taken the end of the hub has been painted black and an "UP" indicator arrow added.

The aluminium collar with turn signal trip post must be discarded plus there is welding and machining required to make it all work. It's handy to have a lathe and mill in your shop, saved us a lot of gurking around.

We can modify your colume for you if you like. Let me know at: [email protected]

Enjoy your ride, hope we can all meet up some day:)

Attachments

• 21258-47qkrels.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 402
Well guys the trials and tribulations continue. After getting the car to the local show and shine (see show time post) there was trouble with the clutch. Took the engine/tranny out of car and disassembled. Found out that the brand new throw out bearing was shot. The clutch line was replaced to a hard pipe system with only a little bit of flex pipe and the ends only. The factory flex line is no good, too much expansion. Also did a bunch of work to the gear selector linkages and rods to get a better alignment and less play /slop. This car is so well engineered now specifically for a larger engine and ZF tranny that I think we will be able to solve most of others people's issues that CAV has not done. Being the first car in Canada we are going over everything and doing it right the first time.
Next week the ac will be charged, alignment, toe settings, clam shell,hood and door alignments, ride height and hopefully titled/plated.

Well guys I finally got to actually drive this incredable machine on the road for the first time last night. WOW!! This sure is different than my cobra. It takes a little getting used to with the set up that I have especially the twin plate clutch-- no feathering here. Also with the webers I'm finding that the revs drop very very fast when shifting causing a reverse chirp when re-engaging the gear.
I went to the local car show (500+ cars) and Holy smokes it was like bees around honey!! This car drew every person there regardlees of age or sex, including Old Autos magazine and Inside Track magazine for photos shoots.
Back to the shop today for very few final adjustments (replace a light bulb that went)and on the road to heaven this weekend. I can't wait to put some real miles on this baby in the next couple of months.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Frknfast,

The CAV sounds great and it appears that you're really enjoying your car. CAV produces a fine replica and with your motor and tranny combination it should be potent.

I generally don't chime in much or moderate but I've had an inordinate number of people asking where this thread is going. You are the primary poster on the thread, including the orginal CAV GT40 thread, and all but around 20 of your posts have been to the two threads that you've started.

I'm in discussion with CAV/Bob Lacey about having a CAV forum dedicated to CAV cars and owners. Hopefully CAV and owners will see a value in this and I'll probably place these threads into that category.

A few people from the UK and US, none of them affliated with a replica company, have asked me if you were affliated with CAV. I think they are too modest to ask on the forum so the job falls to me. I assume you are not since I have asked before and also asked folks to change their profiles to reflect the fact if they are in fact working with a company. If I am in error please correct me here and indicate such on your profile.

Sorry to step into a long thread but with so many private messages and requests I'm just trying to do the will of the people. Enjoy the car and once you get some track/strip/dyno data publish it on the forum!

Ron

Hi Ron. I'm not associated with CAV. I've simply purchased one of their great vehicles. As mentioned ealier I'm not mechanically inclined so a complete rolling chasis was the only option for me. Hence my earlier thread about CAV to get as much info as possible before I made my decision. I'm familiar with SA product as I have a Superformance cobra and it is just as well done as the CAV. This second thread was started to help keep everyone up to date and help those looking at any GT40, including CAV, in making an informed decision and issues that were addressed. If you want to start a seperate CAV forum that's OK by me. I will admit that I do help to promote the car (at no remuneration to me) as it is the first one in Canada and I'm more than happy and willing to help the new Canadian dealer Ian Clark of CAV Canada Motorsports.
I guess this thread can really go anywhere that the people want. As for other threads as you say I've have responded where I can. Not being mechanically inclined I can't offer to much advice except what I've specifically experienced with my CAV and it's asssembly and set up. I hope I've not mislead any one, as I've been completely open
As for specific numbers /track dyno stuff I would be more than happy to post the results. I've done this with the superformance forum and posted 27 different dyno run results. I hope I've addressed all your and others questions and will be more than happy to hear alternate suggestions.

Ron Earp

Admin
Sounds good to me, as I mentioned, I'm just working to maintain the forum as folks see fit. What type (meaning serial number for production update purposes) of Superformance do you have and what is the engine drivetrain combo? Do you track it?

R

frknfast - Ron,

I for one appreciate all the time effort & energy that has been extended in this thread. I appreciate the anticipation, delivery & engineering that has surrounded this project, and am seriously looking at a CAV car myself.

IMHO, threads of this sort are educational and keep people from making expensive mistakes. I've had my share of mistakes/upside down gold-mine on many ocassions. (Should anyone want to discuss why guy's do these things repeatedly, let me know-I can offer therapy!) Perhaps it merits swapping this post over to the CAV forum, and use it as the impetus to 'jump-start' the CAV thread. It would be nice if Bob would agree to & support/endore a CAV 'offical' thread with support forum with assistance from Capetown. Yet I do understand he is working full time to kick-off his business in the US, and I wish him only the best. I'm certian that is nothing short of full time work for him.

However, short of that, an 'unoffical' CAV forum would be better than not having one at all. I see all sides, but more eyeballs on something such as this are better than less.

By the way Ron, few people take the time to compliment, rather, they only seem to find time to take issue or raise complaints. Just wanted to let you know I appreciate what you do, your commiment, level of excellent & professionalism that you & the other moderators bring to this forum. Very nicely done!
Kind regards,

Just wish I could call you anything but frknfast. How about Tom, harry, semour, sue, carroll...anthing but Frknfast!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
What the heck is a frknfast anyway? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hersh:)

Hi Angelo, (frkfast) I hope you enjoy the CAVGT, I am sure that Ian has done a great job, but remember that now you have got the car to this position you have only done half of the job !!, continued development and personilization will take and spend just as much again, believe me. I am working with BOB, Ian and the factory in the development of the CAVGT, and preparing the UK cars. There are lots of things to do and ideas we have, all of which will improve what is a superb car. I have also been castigated by Ron for use of the Forum in respect of my work with the Cavgt, and valuable information and ideas are not being made available because of his view on these things. Bob has also found this frustrating and we both feel that he ought review the way the Forum works because it is not the free and open information centre it should be. Frank

I think this info exchange could occur when the CAV forum opens. It at that point would be clear that discussions in that forum are "biased" to the CAV. The same really goes on now in the RF forum and I think this is a great way to comunicate specific issues, etc. I will certainly help with the CAV forum as necessary (would be willing to co-moderate to give Bob some help, etc.)

Back