Flat Plane Crank LS1

Some little things. I picked up the SLC in dec and put it in storage for now. I am working on finishing up my winter race car rebuild and then the mini. The mini is in fiberglass now.

I did order a custom flywheel with a twin disc tilt on and push bearing conversion. It is about 1/2 the weight of the kep and can handle like 600tq+.

I should have the flywheel and cam soon. I am ordering the ls3 block here soon.

Nothing really to report. Custom JE pistons ordered. LS3 block decided. 3.0" stroke decided. I let him push me back on the crank a month or two to get other customers that needs where higher than mine done as I do not plan to finish it until the summer. I still have not touched the SLC yet and just sits in my wifes garage, which I get remined about often since it is winter. I am still working hard on the mini. I had a race at Road Atlanta for Chumpcar in Feb and that went well, but all racing takes time to fix and maintance so that is in there also. I am hoping to get most of the mini items done this week and then send it off to the body shop for the final prep and paint. Blog is below if interested, but here are some pics. MR2 Mini

An interesting thing is that I learned how to work with the foam and make up my own items much faster now so the custom items on the SLC should be more interesting. I still plan on making a custom dash if all goes well with an intergrated center console, but if that fails then the stock will be good.
mini0304.JPG
mini0405.JPG
mini0302.JPG

OH YAH, I forgot I got this also. I got a custom flywheel and clutch setup. I am using a tilton twin disc and a pull to push conversion release bearing from Tilton as well. This wound up being about half the weight of the KEP setup so for my higher reving engine it should work well and should make it rev quicker. The Tilon twin disc I got is rated for 600ft tq, but they can go higher, just my flat plane crank will make like 460-480tq. I will let everyone know how it works in the end, but the engineering looks spot on. They also have all the dimensions now for the LS to G50 box conversion. I have the G50/20 6sp LSD box.
slcclutch01.JPG

It's messy as all hell to do the foam, bondo psrt forming....but FUN! (rewarding) in a sick sort of way. That is one cool mini you are building.

Messy does not even being to sum it up. It is take off all clothes before entering house messy or wife will kill you. The sanding it is the really messy part. Then when I was all done I sounded it away from underneath. Lesson learned, take more time making the buck you are going to pour the foam on closer the final part so you do not have to sand as much away later. The bondo filler is put and take off and put on and take off and repeat until you have it close to where you want. Then you want to change it all around for something else you have in your head and final just agree that it is what you want. I am 95% happy with how it has come out so far. Finishing that up soon.

I am suprised no one commented, either good or bad, on the clutch I got. I guess we will see.

BTW- crank should be here next month now, I was pushed back for rush orders and was not in a rush so I was ok with it. Cam I am hoping soon and JE pistons should be next month also.

I am suprised no one commented, either good or bad, on the clutch I got. I guess we will see.

Is that a tilton for a porsche application. If so then if you do end up needing a replacement look at an ERP/RPS tripple carbon clutch. I have one in my 600+ hp 911 turbo and it is the best feel porsche clutch I have ever found; Period dot the end!!!!!!!!! it will also handle well over 1000 hp and torque's with out issue.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So have I missed the pictures of this Flat Plane LS crank? :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh:

I believe he said he let other customers ahead of him so the crank will be delayed a month or 2.

I always enjoy some nice engine component pictures myself.

Hey Troy it's so nice to see this starting to come together. I'm sure you can't wait to put it together and to hear what this will sound like. Man it's going to be awesome sounding I just know it!! Keep at it.

Nothing really exciting. Crank comes here very soon.Just everything in my life takes forever. New baby boy came 5-23-13 so that takes time. Race car had two races in a row with intermittent wiring harness failures so I yanked every wire out of it and started from scratch with all new wires. It was good in that we found a few fault points and a few that would have happened in the future. That has taken about 100 hours now to redo the entire car systems wire by wire to make sure it is right. That is almost done.

I also pretty much finished the mini and it is going to the body shop for final work and paint here next week. Then I finish up a few little things and start on the SLC, finally.

MR2mini pics and more info. MR2 Mini
minilbk02.JPG

miniblk01.JPG

mini556.JPG

Awesome.

makes me wish I had a mill, knew how to weld and had real fabrication skill, oooo, the things I could *le sigh*

Back