RCR #010 Build Progress

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Bill,
Looking great...Copying your design for front brake duct to upright fitting...Thanks.

Steve P2125

How things have come along since I visited you....
Its funny, you have all these little projects in all sort of state.... then almost like magic it's all done. Looking really good Bill - congrats on some nice choices for your build.

How is the body paint coming along?

Hi Rob
Body is almost done. Should be next weekend if all goes well.

I finished the dash this morning. The body man prepped the dash for me and I then sanded it smooth with 400 grit wet sandpaper. I then applied two coats of satin black acrylic enamel. I then proceeded to install the gauges, wiring harness, and switches.

finalassy%20031.jpg

finalassy%20032.jpg

finalassy%20033a.jpg

Bill

Last edited:

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Looks fantastic Bill. Much nicer than leather would have been, IMHO, especially on your car which looks all business and no cush. Can't wait to see the paint!

Mark

I bought the ZF from someone on the Internet for what I thought was a good price - $7000. I was told it was freshly rebuilt and ready to go. I quickly snapped it up.

About 9 month after receiving it, I decided to take it to RBT Transmissions in Anaheim, CA to have it checked out. Lo and behold, it was a POS! The synchros were shot, the ring and pinion scored, and 5th gear was toast. And to top it off, the case was cracked in 4 places, welded, and spray painted silver to cover up the rework. I was not at all pleased and contacted the person who sold it to me. Well, you can guess the outcome of that conversation.

11 months later and $4,377 poorer, I have it completely rebuilt. I had the new case completely polished. I think it will look great next to the black chassis.

transaxle%20001.jpg

transaxle%20002.jpg

transaxle%20003.jpg

Complementing the polished transaxle is a polished bellhousing
bellhousing.jpg

Plans are to install the engine and transaxle this weekend

Cheers
Bill

Chuck

Supporter
Bill: Had to dim my screen. The shine was blinding me. Even though you spent $ for a rebuild, it would seem your total investment was still pretty good by current pricing standards. Sure looks good!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Stunning Bill - Absolutely gorgeous.

I would probably opt to put a FORD blue-oval emblem over the top of that RBT logo though... After the many months of waiting that they've put you and others through - I would think long and hard before recommending them or their services..

Dash and AC system installed today. Mocked up my AC lines also.

finalassy%20053.jpg

finalassy%20055.jpg

Need to start humping as the painter said the body will be ready Feb 2nd.

Bill

Go Bill Go!!!

Looks great, I always enjoy your posts and am elated you got a trans. Can't wait to see it all together! I do have one question, when she is all together can you get a shot from the back nice and low? The view of those rear fenders with huge tires is just way to sexy. I have seen the pre-paint ones, I cannot wait to see the finished ones.

The ZF looks great polished, never seen one done like that before. Must have been a big relief to get it back after all that time at RBT.

You'll be on the road soon!

Chris

Made some more progress this weekend. We finished the wiring, bled the brakes (1 leak, will repair), mocked up a tow bar similar to the one on Dean Lampe's car, and installed the tunnel cover (more original looking now).

The wire bundle on top of the RCR tunnel
finalassy_103.JPG

And the tunnel cover, made from .040 mild steel), riveted in place
finalassy_110.JPG

I modified my steering wheel to use a Ford GT insert from Fran Kress
finalassy_106.JPG

finalassy_111.JPG

We hope to get the engine this week and then take the car to the painter to install the body. While it is there, a auto upholsterer will do his majic as well.

Cheers
Bill D

Wow, Bill, you are on the home stretch! It is really looking good and coming together nicely. i can't wait to see your paint job from SRP.

We put the wheels and tires on tonight. Next up is the engine Wednesday. Then it's off to the painter to get the body and have the upholstery done

finalassy_113.jpg

finalassy_114.jpg

finalassy_115.jpg

The car is sitting too high - 6" in the front and 5 " in the rear. I'll adjust it once the body is on

Cheers
Bill D

The Engine Is In!!!!!!

Took 2-1/2 hours but it's in for (hopefully) the last time

finalassy_121.JPG

finalassy_122.JPG

finalassy_123.JPG

finalassy_124.JPG

I'm having the headers and mufflers ceramic coated black while the car is at the painter

Back