Side Mirrors?

I have a pair of Ray Dots, not original but have seen them on a few GT's.

Chris

Attachments

• Raydots_01.jpg
    Raydots_01.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 405

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Plastic versions were also made in the 60's by Alexander

Attachments

• ALEXANDER PLASTIC MIRRORS.jpg
    ALEXANDER PLASTIC MIRRORS.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 515

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
An idea I was really taken with (and will blatantly plagiarize) was this mounting of Vitaloni Californian mirrors on GT40P 1083... attached to brackets that use the side window mounting holes.

GT40P-108311.jpg

GT40P-108333.jpg

An idea I was really taken with (and will blatantly plagiarize) was this mounting of Vitaloni Californian mirrors on GT40P 1083... attached to brackets that use the side window mounting holes.

GT40P-108311.jpg

GT40P-108333.jpg

i like this setup.
im not sure if i wanted to drill holes into the fenders of my car to mount mirrors. this setup allows you to remove them if you change ur mind abt location.
are the mounts custom made, or does someone sell them with mirrors?

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Julian, That looks like a very neat setup indeed. Maybe I'll go that route instead.

Funny enough, I clearly liked the idea when I saw it at Laguna Seca last year. You'd have thought I'd remember... duh.

Thanks!

Attachments

• MC1_5419.jpg
    MC1_5419.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 535
The California mirror may not have enough adjustablility out of the box to allow you to see properly. However, it is a very simple job to remove the mirror from the housing (two screws secure it from the underside). Then it's very easy to enlarge the opening that the mirror boss passes through, which will afford much more freedom of movement. It may be an iterative process (remove from car, dismantle, remove material, assemble, install on car, :furious:, remove from car, dismantle, remove material, assemble, install on car, :furious: again...) but once you've got it right, you'll be very happy with them.

Wow, I like that set-up!

I saw these mirors on the Pegasus Motorsports website. I wonder if I made the "boomerang" window piece and added these mirrors from Pegasus, if that would work? They look like they have LOTS of adjustability.

~ Randy
SPF Gulf P/2207

Attachments

• 5121.JPG
    5121.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 396
  • 5129.JPG
    5129.JPG
    19.7 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I opted to just mill a wedge for my California mirrors. Here is a picture of the wedge and the support bracket that screws into the original holes for the window. The picture was not intended to be for the mirror but the XM radio ant, but you will get a general idea of what I did. I have meant to paint them but I haven't taken them off to do so yet.

Attachments

• xm ant..jpg
    xm ant..jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 643

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Wow, I like that set-up!

I saw these mirors on the Pegasus Motorsports website. I wonder if I made the "boomerang" window piece and added these mirrors from Pegasus, if that would work? They look like they have LOTS of adjustability.

~ Randy
SPF Gulf P/2207

Those are the ones I used on my CAV......they are adjustable and work well. I made the piece they bolt onto myself....

Attachments

• P1010252.JPG
    P1010252.JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 647
Pat, which mirror (convex or flat) did you use for the driver side and passenger side? Does the backside of the mirror bolts touch the window?

Thanks for the photo and reply! I think I'm going with this set-up.

~ Randy

You guys comfortable with 5 (Pat) or 3 (Jack) little (8-32?) screws holding your mirrors on? I like the idea, but at speed, there are some pretty serious aerodynamic loads transferred from the mirror to the door frame.

Mark, good question.

I have a side question for Pat, what size wheels and what kind of tires (size too) are on your car?

~ Randy.

Ron McCall

Supporter
Those are the ones I used on my CAV......they are adjustable and work well. I made the piece they bolt onto myself....

Pat. That is exactly what I planned for my car. I have the mirrors in the garage!
What did you make the plate from?

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Randy -

1. I used flat mirrors on both sides. I drilled 3 holes in the side windows in order to tighten and mount the mirrors.

2. Those are Goodyear Billboard bias ply not DOT legal tires sizes 26.5X8.0-15 Front and 26.5X10.0-15 rear. Wheels are 7.5" F and 9.5" rear. I am currently using Goodyear Drag Radials and really love them. Yes, they turn well too.

Pantera1889 -

I used some .060 aluminum.

Mark -

These are the same mirrors that are used on racecars of most types and are probably mounted as securely as on any racecar.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Had my car to 150, mirrors didn't budge. The piece that is mounted to is real carbon fiber panel then the panel is screwed through the original holes that the window screws where used for. I do understand your concern but if you could see it up close you might get a better picture, there are small pieces of metal backing up the screws.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Randy-

They have the old Goodyear rain tread - I have used these tires on my Cobras for many years and think they look great but there are some compromises that I am no longer willing to put up with so I have switched to the Drag Radials.

Because they are a racing tire they have a very thin sidewall so when the tread wears down (to 6 or 7/32nds) the tire is nothing more than a canvass bag and is very susceptible to punctures. I got sick of driving down the road scanning for anything sharp....

Tire life is about 5-7000 miles driving reasonably.

You can check them out at Roger Krause Racing......just google- roger krause goodyear

They do look good though....

Early on on my build I was searching for a set of mirrors. I didn't want side mirrors, but the sanctioning bodies at most of the tracks won't let you run without them. They say that the back up cameras aren't enough. I wanted to use a stereo with popup 7" screen and one of the better cameras like Chase Cam or the like(which I will anyway). They still say I have to have mirrors. So I found these on an old 280 Z I believe(long time ago/dead brain cells). What I liked about them were two things. One is the base. It fits the shape of the side of the car very well and with some rubber gasket material will work with little alteration. This would work well with the removable options talked about on this thread. The second thing I like is the important one fo me. These were originally electric mirrors. After pulling them from a junker(had 3 to choose from) I checked them out to see if they would work. You guessed it, they didn't. Several of the functions were shorted out. So I pulled the wiring. What I noticed was that the mirrors are adjustable manually to four positions horizontally and four vertically. This makes positioning a little easier without having to trim or add pieces to get the correct angle. They have the two screw mounting and are both flat mirrors. Something to consider!!

Bill

Attachments

• P1010045.jpg
    P1010045.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 469
  • P1010046.jpg
    P1010046.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 440
  • P1010047.jpg
    P1010047.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 386
  • P1010048.jpg