Side Mirrors?

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
WB,
I believe that those might be the early powered Mazda RX mirrors. (1983 ?)
They compliment the shape of the shell, and I have a couple of pairs which are from US specification cars. I think that the Brits fitted something rather different and they were a pain to find over here.
One post is shorter than the other.

Last edited:
Early on on my build I was searching for a set of mirrors. I didn't want side mirrors, but the sanctioning bodies at most of the tracks won't let you run without them. They say that the back up cameras aren't enough. I wanted to use a stereo with popup 7" screen and one of the better cameras like Chase Cam or the like(which I will anyway). They still say I have to have mirrors. So I found these on an old 280 Z I believe(long time ago/dead brain cells). What I liked about them were two things. One is the base. It fits the shape of the side of the car very well and with some rubber gasket material will work with little alteration. This would work well with the removable options talked about on this thread. The second thing I like is the important one fo me. These were originally electric mirrors. After pulling them from a junker(had 3 to choose from) I checked them out to see if they would work. You guessed it, they didn't. Several of the functions were shorted out. So I pulled the wiring. What I noticed was that the mirrors are adjustable manually to four positions horizontally and four vertically. This makes positioning a little easier without having to trim or add pieces to get the correct angle. They have the two screw mounting and are both flat mirrors. Something to consider!!

Bill

i was toying with the idea of rear view cams...where would u mount the cams in leiu of mirrors?
a rear cam is easy, but where to put cams to see whats in the blind spots?

Camera's are not a good alternative to mirrors. Call them supplimental if you will. You really need two of them and in case of an electrical problem you would not see behind. There is also a possibility of depth of vision problems with them.

I have the Pep Boys $99 special that is wireless on my truck, mounted in the rear liscence plate mount and it works very well for backing up. It has the disadvantage of picking up some wireless security cameras as I drive along. Several of the guys here on the forum have them for their cars. They work well for backing up. You know just how far to go once used, and yes I use my side mirrors.
Now for driving, that is another matter. I ruined a Lotus turbo Esprit with the dinky side mirrors they provide. Before sunup one morning I wanted to change lanes. I couldn't tell where the lights in the lane next to me were, and when I looked forward, the truck in front of me had stopped. Had no room or time to maneuver. Don't know that a cam would have helped in the dark. The depth perception is a problem, but it tells you if someone is on your butt or coming up on your side. I don't think depth perception matters when someone is closing the distance on your side, you know it and should know not to do it. You have to make the decision whether you have enough room to change lanes or not. That is what blinkers are for, to warn the other driver(s) what your intention is. I don't think two cameras would help at all. It just gives you two pictures that don't have depth perception, and at its worst would be a distraction to everything else around you. It is like any other device we use. It just takes some getting used to it, and should be used as an aid rather than a dependence. I will use the side mirrors, it is just that I don't care for them on the car. I think they look better without the mirrors. That is why I like the ones shown on this thread because they are easily removed.
Now, where would I put them? I have seen several places on the car. If you want it to aid your side mirrors, it needs to be higher than the bottom of the rear clip. I wouldn't trust my own eyes at that level while moving forward. Where I considering is on top of the spider just at the break of the rear clip, or on the top of the rear clip just above the plexi cover. I would mold it into the body work to give it a good look. I wouldn't put it under the rear plexi as there is too much distortion and/or degredation of the picture. I even thought of using a third brake light and mounting the camera inside it(assuming it would fit). It would be glassed into the spider to give it a smooth aperance. When I send the car to the painters for some touchup work and doing some flare work, I'll have decided where the best place will be.

Bill

Years ago I had jaguars that had similar mirrors up on the fenders- the convex were the only way to go in that they reduced the lind spots over the flat mirrors

I found an old post that I made about the mirrors I put on my "BLUE BEAUTY".

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-tech-engines-induction-exhaust/13692-box-full-nothing.html

I didn't mention that I used a piece of inner tube for the gasket between the door and the mirror. I cut it to the edge of the mirror with an X-acto knife without going all the way through to the paint except one small point which allowed me to pull the inner tube off which followed the cut all around the mirror. After tightening the mirrors to the doors with a steel bar about 1/16" thick by 1" wide & about 6" long on the inside of the door they never vibrated at all while driving down the road.

I also used a hand held drill with a 6" disk sander to grind down the plate that goes against the doors. I ground about 1/16" off the high side of that plate making it flat to the bottom side without grinding off the bottom side. If that makes any sense?? This angles the mirrors up so that they are parrel to the ground and won't look like they are drooping.

This turned out to be a very easy thing to do even for a guy that has trouble turning a screw driver.

Hope this helps someone that might want to use these mirrors.

JOSEPH

Attachments

• CAV & PORSCHE.JPG
    CAV & PORSCHE.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 551
  • 87 mazda mirrors.jpg
    87 mazda mirrors.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This is my first posting, let me know if I screw up. I used some small racing mirrors I got from Summit Racing in Reno, they were only $24 for two and I think they look pretty good. I'm not sure if I can post a pix but I'll try.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I feel I should update my side mirror post, as yesterday I took a small trip in my car and the right side mirror fell off! It appears that the threads holding the mirror to the mounting piece backed off (not tight enough?). As they are fairly inexpensive, and I like the look, I will order another pair. I will work on a way to better secure tham.

Victor, if they are still for sale, I will buy them. If you can tell me how much for shipping I will send the $$ to your bank account (of pay by Credit card if you have the facility) - let me know!

do you have some photos of those mazda RX7 mirrors ?
I hesitate between Vitaloni's mirrors or others

thanks

Didier

Back