SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
SPF #2085 Movie Problems

A couple of members mentioned they were unable to play the previously posted QuickTime (.Mov) movie.

I rendered the movie in two additional, more PC friendly codecs. However, while this movie is merely 3 3/4 - minutes in length, it was rendered at high quality HD image and audio. Therefore, the data is enormous and is capable of being played at HD full screen.

If one cannot play these versions, especially if the movie stutters, then one of three, or more, probable causes may be the problem: Slow connection speed, slow processor speed, slow screen processor speed. Otherwise, many others have played it successfully.

Windows Movie Player: http://www.prideofbrea.org/2285_roller.wmv

Adobe Flash: http://www.prideofbrea.org/2285_roller_flv_.flv

Last edited:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Realization Ain't Always What It's Cranked Up To Be

Get a YouTube or Vimeo account this is 2012 my friend :)

Michael my friend,

It's so true: sometimes only good friends will say. But in this case, I kinda didn't desire to know. You've got me blowin', blowin' my mind: Is it tomorrow or just the end of time? You see, I'm comfortably hunkered down, and safe within the heart of my 50s/60s musical basement. I revel in the solace of lounging upside down on my Teeter Hang Up, and riding my time-warp machine. It did, but only for a moment, shake my sensibility to consider it was 2012. How dreadful it was. It brought to mind the ole excuse that I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was. I know you had the best of intentions, but thus far, I have only allowed my out-of-basement experience to extend as far as into the late 60s, because we haven't had that spirit here since 1969. :stunned:

Now, back to my ponderings, where I truly belong: Is Timothy Leary dead, or only on the outside looking in . . . hmmm

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Wheels Arrived

Rear wheels fabricated to 14" wide, outside lip to outside lip, and painted Lambo orange to match Gulf livery.

Attachments

• P2285 Wheels 008 (Custom).jpg
    P2285 Wheels 008 (Custom).jpg
    589.1 KB · Views: 547
  • P2285 Wheels 007 (Custom).jpg
    P2285 Wheels 007 (Custom).jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 555
  • P2285 Wheels 005 (Custom).jpg
    P2285 Wheels 005 (Custom).jpg
    488 KB · Views: 550
  • P2285 Wheels 003 (Custom).jpg
    P2285 Wheels 003 (Custom).jpg
    438 KB · Views: 547
  • P2285 Wheels 002 (Custom).jpg
    P2285 Wheels 002 (Custom).jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 564
  • P2285 Wheels 001 (Custom).jpg
    P2285 Wheels 001 (Custom).jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 569
It looks beautiful, congratulations. At the risk of telling you what to do, which I don't want to, you might consider having the driving lights switched. With the wide hips and the Gulf livery, it will simply look more right. That and I much prefer the large driving lights myself (still considering doing it to mine).

Kevin

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
It looks beautiful, congratulations. At the risk of telling you what to do, which I don't want to, you might consider having the driving lights switched. With the wide hips and the Gulf livery, it will simply look more right. That and I much prefer the large driving lights myself (still considering doing it to mine).

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I am open to all suggestions concerning the car. I read what you said, but it somehow didn't register with me. Are "driving lights" the "headlights", or are driving lights the smaller white lights inside the compartment with the parking/turn signal lights? I should know that more assuredly, but I don't. By larger, you must mean physically larger, as in diameter, or larger in light output? Sorry, but this is all new, especially the nomenclature, and overwhelming at times. So, any helpful info is greatly appreciated.

I am anxiously awaiting the tires, and learned only recently about how they are fashioned. When I first began to notice Avon tires, I also became aware they made racing slicks and such. Then I noticed the 15" street tires with the ole fashioned treads, and assumed they were molded that way during production. The other day at SPF, either Lance or Cole quipped that the treads on my tires were in process of being hand cut. I should have explored that topic more, because I pictured everything between a guy with a small hand-blade, and a rounded template with CNC machine cutting the treads, but then a CNC machine would not be a "hand cut." It's all interesting.

Roush telephoned me Thursday and acknowledged receiving the intake that took 8 or more weeks to fabricate, polish, and ship, but they still haven't performed the bench flow-test to determine how much H.P. it will support, and there are fitment issues in two key locations. So, the beat goes on, and the install will have to wait. I also learned that the Halon fire suppression system I ordered can no longer be sold in Kalifornia, and I'm not too happy about the prospects of installing a systems that emits foam, even if it is all water based. Even with advanced planning and research, problems and disappointments abound, and I soon have to remind myself they are likely good problems to have.

All good things, Robert

Looks like we are going to have twins! Congrats

Brian

Attachments

• Untitled-248.jpg
    Untitled-248.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 470

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Looks like we are going to have twins! Congrats

Brian

Brian, I have admired your ride since '10. Many of the nuances did not escape my observations. I revisited many of your prior threads and quality photo montages. We seem to have that art in common as well.

I was deeply immersed in photography for a decade or so, but it ended just before the first 1 megapix Kodak digital arrived on scene. Shortly thereafter I was captivated by video and actually founded a business based around capturing images, compositing, and NLE (Digital editing). I was left with a deep appreciation for both: still and video. With that said, I do complement your photography work. The posing, imaging position, and subtle use of camera elevations were all stellar.

Over time, I also noticed the subtle changes with your car. Seldom have I fancied placement of decals below the front roundel, but your use of that technique is one exception. I also liked the scale and placement of the Gulf decal at the nose.

As for the alum. or S.S. rear spoiler extension, I've been back and forth on that nearly as often as with scale, type, and placement of side mirrors. I noted that particular addition was delayed for you. Did you oscillate, or was it always a goal? Any element of remorse? It looks great though, and adds to the traditional race mystique the car exudes. The only down side (for me) is that it masks the rear stripe as that stripe continues up and over the beautiful, elegant built-in rear spoiler. Those two elements are the essence of my quandary. I often attempt to imagine a partial extension, or one in two halves. Below are two quick and dirty concepts:

full-width.jpg

twopiece.jpg

The use of the front side canards presents a conundrum for me as well. It adds to the race mystique, but may very slightly impinge on the suave, elegant body style - but then, it's difficult to have both, huh.

Thanks for your note. Keep up the good works. Robert

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Kevin
How would you do it Kevin? I wanted to do the same thing but the way the openings are already cut for the standard turn signals would cause some problems. Parts of the rectangular hole on top would be outside the radius of a circular hole for the large driving lights. You would have to do quite a bit a surgery to make things look right since the bucket is glued in. What did you have in mind?

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Curious if you have looked around the driver side chassis inside the wheel well? Any brake fluid leakage? I would recommend you at a minimum replace the stock caps on the Girling reservoirs to minimize the amount of fluid that leaks and lifts the paint. I would replace the Girling reservoirs and rubber lines completely with something more modern that seals correctly. Your paint will thank you down the road trust me :)

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
You could powdercoat and then paint the stripes...

2012033100.jpg

Very interesting Michael!

I read where you were doing a makeover of sorts on your ride, but thought it was all mechanical. It doesn't seem that long ago when you brought it home for the first time. The black spoiler extension (What is the real or proper name for that device, anyway?) is out of the box and I like it. The color of the car and the Shell decal work extremely well together, and it's different than most, and I like that aspect. While it's a change, it's not the kind that ventures too far from tradition.

I have many compulsive ideas concerning the appearance of my car, and constantly wrestle with the out-of-the-box, or non-typical changes, while attempting not to conflict with tradition. I'm always searching for the sweet spot, which would be a perfect balance melding tradition with more modern technology and current racing type embellishments. I think you have accomplished that.

Your ride is lookin' good. Keep up the good works. Thanks, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Curious if you have looked around the driver side chassis inside the wheel well? Any brake fluid leakage? I would recommend you at a minimum replace the stock caps on the Girling reservoirs to minimize the amount of fluid that leaks and lifts the paint. I would replace the Girling reservoirs and rubber lines completely with something more modern that seals correctly. Your paint will thank you down the road trust me :)

I don't yet have my car in my possession. It's still at SPF awaiting arrival and mounting of the Avon tires. I did give it a quick once-over last Monday when it arrived, but there was so much going on there, and so much of my car to look at, and I had to return to work before too long. I thank you for the good suggestion, and once it is trailered to the engine/trans installer's shop, I can check it out more in detail on a Saturday afternoon.

I do trust you and the other helpful folk, and thanks for the info. Robert

How would you do it Kevin? I wanted to do the same thing but the way the openings are already cut for the standard turn signals would cause some problems. Parts of the rectangular hole on top would be outside the radius of a circular hole for the large driving lights. You would have to do quite a bit a surgery to make things look right since the bucket is glued in. What did you have in mind?

Pay someone :)

It is a lot of work which is one of the reasons (along with my ineffective fiberglass skills) I have not put them on my car. That said, if I was having the car built at this point I might ask the installer if they could do it.

Kevin

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Pay someone :)

It is a lot of work which is one of the reasons (along with my ineffective fiberglass skills) I have not put them on my car. That said, if I was having the car built at this point I might ask the installer if they could do it.

Kevin
Ha well crap, I was hoping you had come up with a way because I agree, they would really look nice. That will be on my list of things to do next winter.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter

Attachments

• 1a IMG_7573sml.jpg
    1a IMG_7573sml.jpg
    705.8 KB · Views: 480
  • 1a IMG_7662sml.jpg
    1a IMG_7662sml.jpg
    632.8 KB · Views: 496
  • 1a IMG_7629modlites.jpg
    1a IMG_7629modlites.jpg
    800.3 KB · Views: 479
  • backsml.jpg
    backsml.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 526
  • back close-up.jpg
    back close-up.jpg
    289.4 KB · Views: 434

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The rearend design shown here is the one I'd like on mine. What "code" box (or whatever) does one put the check mark on when ordering a car in order to get it???

Thanks -

That is the "1969 wide-tail" option. Superformance offers three tils, the early 1965 "narrow" tail with no flares and the stacked round lights, the "1967-68" tail with medium flare (the most commonly ordered setup) and the 69 wide tail. The wide tail requires either modifying the rear wheels to 12-14" width or purchasing alternate wheels.

Back