SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
The rearend design shown here is the one I'd like on mine. What "code" box (or whatever) does one put the check mark on when ordering a car in order to get it???

Thanks -

The spoiler extension piece you viewed on the rear of my vehicle was just a Photo Shopped piece. I understand that most people have a piece of aluminum or stainless steel cut in that shape, and then mount it with screws. I do not believe that GT40 makers offer that item as an option.

Robert

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
The spoiler extension piece you viewed on the rear of my vehicle was just a Photo Shopped piece. I understand that most people have a piece of aluminum or stainless steel cut in that shape, and then mount it with screws. I do not believe that GT40 makers offer that item as an option.

Robert

No, I was referring to the REST of the rear end treatment, Robert.

Mr. Stander told me via email that he was confident SPF could provide a '40 with whatever version rear end design I wanted...and, like the dummy I am, I left it there rather than pursue the specifics of exactly how one would go about ordering one like that because, at the time, I was (and still am) sitting on the fence with regard to pulling the trigger. Simply put, I didn't want to take up any more of his time at that juncture.

Since I'm told the 'std' rear end on a MKI just has two tail lights and that's it, when I saw your photos I thought, "Aaaaah-haaaa! Robert's gone thru the process! HE will know how to order that version!"

Sooo, just how did you go about getting your '40 built with that particular rear end design?

(Edit: I looked at your photos again, and it appears there is no actual "license plate recess" [or 'cutout'] on your photoshop. The rear end I'm referring to HAS an actual rectangular "recess"/"cutout" for a 'plate where the orange paint is on your photos. So, I guess my question is moot!)

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
No, I was referring to the REST of the rear end treatment, Robert.

Mr. Stander told me via email that he was confident SPF could provide a '40 with whatever version rear end design I wanted...and, like the dummy I am, I left it there rather than pursue the specifics of exactly how one would go about ordering one like that because, at the time, I was (and still am) sitting on the fence with regard to pulling the trigger. Simply put, I didn't want to take up any more of his time at that juncture.

Since I'm told the 'std' rear end on a MKI just has two tail lights and that's it, when I saw your photos I thought, "Aaaaah-haaaa! Robert's gone thru the process! HE will know how to order that version!"

Sooo, just how did you go about getting your '40 built with that particular rear end design?

(Edit: I looked at your photos again, and it appears there is no actual "license plate recess" [or 'cutout'] on your photoshop. The rear end I'm referring to HAS an actual rectangular "recess"/"cutout" for a 'plate where the orange paint is on your photos. So, I guess my question is moot!)

Larry,

That version is not supplied. There are at LEAST 8 different MK I tail treatments used in the day. The actual Gulf cars have the extra vents just below the spoiler, Superformance does not do that setup. The indent centered between the vents also is not done. I do have a customer who is modifying a tail to that setup....but then he is also cutting the roof off and installing an original GT40 Roadster windscreen!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
That version is not supplied.

Yes, sir. Understood. That's what I've been told by my 'local' SPF dealer as well...which is why I contacted Mr. Stander to see if maybe there might be a way around that. He indicated there was. Now, just how he might accomplish it is beyond me! :juggle2:

I do have a customer who is modifying a tail to that setup....

...which is what I believe Mr. Stander was suggesting Hi TECH might do. I really don't know. We really didn't get into that for the reason stated in the post above. When/if the time comes, I DO intend to have that rear on my car! But, right now I'm all hat and no cattle.

(I know somebody makes/sells that version because I've seen numerous vids of GT40's sporting that rearend.)

Thanks, Rick. :thumbsup:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
(I know somebody makes/sells that version because I've seen numerous vids of GT40's sporting that rearend.)

Yes,

It IS made by other manufacturers butt as Hi-Tech does all of their own composite work in-house I doubt the would use a bought-in piece. Nothing to stop you from fitting one later or using the rear section to graft into the SPF tail. I think Bill Hough does that style of tail panel.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
A possible way to re-do the driving lights would be to form an aluminum panel that would cover the entire vertical space where the current light/signal is, then cut your hole for the larger driving light through both. That aluminum panel could be painted flat black and look very "right" as well as competition-correct..

Auto-Loc makes a 5-1/4" headlight with a turn signal bulb embedded in the bottom of the reflector. I think that's the current plan for mine. If I ever get to work on it again that is...

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes,

It IS made by other manufacturers butt as Hi-Tech does all of their own composite work in-house I doubt the would use a bought-in piece. Nothing to stop you from fitting one later or using the rear section to graft into the SPF tail. I think Bill Hough does that style of tail panel.

"Nothing to stop you from fitting one later or using the rear section to graft into the SPF tail."

Deja vu! In my email to Mr. Stander, that's precisely what I opined could be an option for me...I then stated I wasn't too sure I wanted to go that route (I'm not all that ambitious). That's when he stated in reply, "I'm sure we can build the GT40 MKI that you like." But, as I mentioned before, I don't know exactly how he intended it be done. Maybe he was thinking about something like adapting the Bill Hough panel you mentioned. I really don't know.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I considered a wide body but was concerned about those big fat Avons peppering the fenders with road debris. Are you planning on clear bra to protect?

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
I considered a wide body but was concerned about those big fat Avons peppering the fenders with road debris. Are you planning on clear bra to protect?

You are keen to notice. Currently in the process of exploring feasability of reworking rear wheels to snug them toward the inside a wee bit. It's nothing critical, but might be desirable. Will definitely use cut pieces of clear bra in at least two areas of rear before and aft fenders. The vehicle will definitely not be a daily drive, and will be used mostly for shows and some less distant travels.

I also may borrow an idea from my Z, which would involve purchasing two small inside rear fender trim pieces, one for the front, and the other for the rear. They are light weight, slightly flexible, and easy to install. I may attempt to fab them to be easy on-off, allowing for quick removal for show, and quick install for road use. I wonder if anyone has installed such devices with success.

I'm not sure the below two photos will be large enough to view the pieces, but I'll post them for better or worse. If I remember, I'll attempt to photograph them close-up.

insidefendertrim.jpg

backfenderpiece.jpg

Last edited:

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
A possible way to re-do the driving lights would be to form an aluminum panel that would cover the entire vertical space where the current light/signal is, then cut your hole for the larger driving light through both. That aluminum panel could be painted flat black and look very "right" as well as competition-correct..

Auto-Loc makes a 5-1/4" headlight with a turn signal bulb embedded in the bottom of the reflector. I think that's the current plan for mine. If I ever get to work on it again that is...

I've posed a pic of how I changed it. It'd be easier IMHO just to fiberglass the holes closed than fashion an aluminum cover. The issue with the aluminum cover is how tight the fit is.

Best,

Ron

Attachments

• DSC_0142.JPG
    DSC_0142.JPG
    277.7 KB · Views: 415

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Re: Driving Lights

I've posed a pic of how I changed it. It'd be easier IMHO just to fiberglass the holes closed than fashion an aluminum cover. The issue with the aluminum cover is how tight the fit is.

Best,

Ron

I LIKE IT! Would be very interested in more pix of fab/install, or perhaps text description. Direct my attention to the local of front turn signal lamps please - I must be blind.

Great Job. Thanks for sharing. Robert

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
Dark circles between fog lamp and front wheel. You can see each in the far outside on this pic.

Attachments

• DSC_0144.JPG
    DSC_0144.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 403

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Front Turn Signal Light Mods

Dark circles between fog lamp and front wheel. You can see each in the far outside on this pic.

I did see those in your first group of photos, but at first blush assumed they were side-marker lights, as many manufactured cars are equipped with. I see in this photo that they would be visible by oncoming traffic. I guess they only appear to have red lenses because they are not well illuminated in the photo - so, I will assume they are amber or orange colored. Here in Kalifornia, those types of changes would likely cause the Highway Patrol to make an issue over them. But, I like what you achieved, and it was clever, functional, and does not compromise the style of the car. :thumbsup:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Are you making any mods to the brake/clutch reservoirs and plumbing? Do it now while the paint is still attached to the chassis...

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I really like the idea of ram lift and will retro fit my car soon as I get a couple other projects out of the way. Looks like your doing it right before you put it on the road!

As for the debre chipping paint on the rear fenders I haven't had that problem but do have many road chips on the front past the 3M clear bra stuff. Also Rick made some trick little stops for the gas caps so they don't open all the way into the paint of the front bonnet which will chip the paint.

Nice work!

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Keeping Ahead Of Potential Problems

Are you making any mods to the brake/clutch reservoirs and plumbing? Do it now while the paint is still attached to the chassis...

Thanks for the tip Michael. My mechanic originally mentioned a change to the brake fluid master, but not the lines. I'll suggest that to him per your recommendation. :thumbsup:

Cheers, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
I really like the idea of ram lift and will retro fit my car soon as I get a couple other projects out of the way. Looks like your doing it right before you put it on the road!

Thanks Jack. When I first questioned the folk at SPF concerning extra wide body they eMailed me a photo of yours. I made my mind up right then to have one. So, thanks for that.

RE: The lift system. I'm confident most have reasons for desiring such. My need is likely slightly different than the typical need to avoid undercarriage and front-end scraping. I'll have that benefit, but to a lesser degree. My main purpose was to be able to have a lower normal driving stance, especially for shows, and yet be able to avoid objects and navigating driveways too. I'm hopeful this device will work as advertised, and will remain duty bond to report on it.

As for the debri chipping paint on the rear fenders I haven't had that problem but do have many road chips on the front past the 3M clear bra stuff. Also Rick made some trick little stops for the gas caps so they don't open all the way into the paint of the front bonnet which will chip the paint.

Thanks for the Rick Muck gas cap tip! I'll go to the green door and see Rick about that worthy product.

Thanks again, Robert :thumbsup:

Back