Superlite GTA

Putting it all together.

This is what I have gleaned from 2 threads on this forum as well as Superlites news and facebook page and trying to chase facts all over the internet for the last 2 days since I found out about this on the FF forum of all places LOL.

Brand - Superlite
Name TBD (right now called the GTA)
2 seat coupe
Mid engine - Transverse mounted
Mitsubishi 4g63 4 cylinder
possible V-6 platform
Auto or manual trans
$1500-4000 donor
Factory safety cell, HVAC, seals, doors, interior etc...
103" wheelbase
72" wide
Height of a 993 Porsche
Superlite Billet suspension
Small trunk in rear
Performance better than a current Porsche 911

I'd assume Fran, using an OEM center section as the base of this car, would want to use a base platform that has tons of aftermarket goodies available to tweak the interior to our hearts desire.

The Mitsubishi 4g63 engine has huge potential and plenty of aftermarket parts available and is a solid engine.

A V-6 option too.. I would assume the 3.0 SOHC Mitsubishi V-6, had this engine in a couple cars and loved it.

This project is screaming 1995 - 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse / Eagle Talon donor.

I like it. Modern exotic sports car styling, every Tom Dick and Harry won't have one... but will want one, OEM fit and finish interior, great handling, affordable to own and maintain and 30+ mpg when you keep your foot out of it, automatic trans option in a mid engine ride for a crippled up old gearhead like me when I can't drive a manual anymore.

Bonus... It's from a respected and trusted builder with a reputation of putting out some really nice stuff too.

Game on. I like it and I like it a lot.

Hmmmmm...... 3.0 twin turbo V-6, Paddle shift auto, Black leather interior with dark red / burgundy accents and stitching, HOK Kandy Brandywine with Satin black accents.... Droooooool

I've got my sights on this one:rifle:

So... where do you guys look for second hand cars, New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader.com seems to be pretty useless!

Hello Ben.

Autotrader is a great site to find used cars. Autotrader was around before the internet. Used to be a magazine you could pick up at about any convinience store years ago.

At the top left of the page you see where it says "Find Cars for Sale" Click on that and it takes you to their search page.

What I don't do is fill out all the details when I expand the search options at the bottom of the page as often those details are not put in by the sellers and it can really cut down the number of good potential cars.

There's also, craigslist, ebay and the classified ads in the local newspapers.

And Copart auctions.... be very careful here or ebay.

Last edited:
Ben,

If you choose to go the eBay route, look for vehicles near you so that you can site visit. I did this when I purchased a Viper and saved a couple thousand directly dealing with the vendor. Texas direct inHouston area has good reputation and is close enough.

Cheers guys! Seems like Craigs list is full of cars!

Which worked a lot better once I realised for some reason it went to Craigs list INDIA and I changed it to San Antonio!

Will check it out Doc! Was just in Houston the past weekend!

A V-6 option too.. I would assume the 3.0 SOHC Mitsubishi V-6, had this engine in a couple cars and loved it.

I'm guessing that would be the 6G72? For the eclipse it came only as an NA SOHC yet the DOHC 24V twin turbo variants were found in Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4/Dodge Stealth RT. From what I have seen, these iron block V6 appear quite potent. How does the 6G72/74 compare with the 4G63T; specifically regarding their reliability with boost and response to modifications?

...with an additional 1 liter of displacement and 2 cylinders I'm betting it would have more grunt in all the right places :thumbsup:

This project is screaming 1995 - 2005 Mitsubishi Eclipse / Eagle Talon donor.

Before interior modifications it seems that if we pair vertical doors on the SL-GTA we're already running for Super-Car interior! :laugh3:

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse interior:
22320360003_large.jpg

1995 Eagle Talon TSi interior:
1995_eagle_talon_2_dr_tsi_turbo_awd_hatchback-pic-7074560242774292405.jpeg

1991-1995 Bugatti EB110 interior:
Bugatti_EB110_Interior.JPG

Still a bit of speculation, I wonder if the donor car would be from the 2g(1995-1999) eclipse or 3g(2000-2005) eclipse

my vote is for the 3g
eclipseinterior.jpg

This is all just speculation, but here's my take on this:

First thing I looked at was the A pillar. Most cars have their own design features or "tells" as far as the A pillar goes. The second generation Eclipse has an hour glass shaped A pillar, and so does the GTA.

Secondly, I looked at the exterior dimensions; particularly, the width and height. The second gen is a bit skinnier than the third gen. The doors "look" a bit wider on the clay mock up. And with the addition of flared wheels, you're going to need to add a couple of inches of width to the car. Viola! And the height is also about an inch shorter than the gen 3. In fact, it's a half inch shorter than the new 991.

The roof? Well, that's probably going to be covered by the new body panels. So technically, it's not an Eclipse roof. So if you add the new panel to the roof, it will still squeeze in under a 991 Porsche.

So there's my two pennies...

Still a bit of speculation, I wonder if the donor car would be from the 2g(1995-1999) eclipse or 3g(2000-2005) eclipse

my vote is for the 3g

At first I thought that as well; but then, after I read Fran's statement [that the donor car's 4G63T would be utilized], wouldn't that rule out the third generation (4G64 toting) Eclipse?

Hi, I have been lurking the forum for a while now since I am very interested in the SLC, but seems like the GTA is more "reachable" per se.

I just wish this project can incorporate 4G63T as the powerplant, I still have a LOT of left over performance parts from my various projects. 4G64 is alright but get into realiability issues if you want to put a 4G63 head on it to make it turbo charged. 6G72TT is awesome on the street and awesome bottom end, but tuning and modification cost way too much comparing to 4G63/4G64. By the way, you guys are forgetting the Evolutions, they are also 4G63T power plant, but Evo 4-9 are horizontally flipped comparing to the original 4G63 in Galant/Eclipse/Evo 1-3.

I have one question regarding the specification on this car though, I know it's may or may not be finalized, but how come it has a long wheel base of 107"? That's almost as long as if not longer than a lot 4 door sedans out there. Would a shorter wheel base better for performance since this is going to be a small car with a lower engine output?

I'm guessing that would be the 6G72? For the eclipse it came only as an NA SOHC yet the DOHC 24V twin turbo variants were found in Mitsubishi 3000 GT VR4/Dodge Stealth RT. From what I have seen, these iron block V6 appear quite potent. How does the 6G72/74 compare with the 4G63T; specifically regarding their reliability with boost and response to modifications?

...with an additional 1 liter of displacement and 2 cylinders I'm betting it would have more grunt in all the right places :thumbsup:

Before interior modifications it seems that if we pair vertical doors on the SL-GTA we're already running for Super-Car interior! :laugh3:

I can't comment on the turbo variants of the V6.

Both of mine were NA 6G72. One with an auto in a '93 Lebaron convertable and the other with a 5 speed in a '93 Plymouth Sundance Duster. Both were very quick off the line and would spank most cars in some stop light to stop light action. These were fun cars to drive. They dug hard down low and kept pulling hard past 6 grand.

The '93 Duster I bought new and had it for over 10 years and never had a problem with it and sold it with 140k miles on it still running like new. Only thing I ever did to that engine was change the timing belt and a few oil seals when I was in it and kept flogging it. When I was doing the cam seals I bought a top end gasket set so I changed the head gaskets too and of course I can't leave anything alone so I port matched the intake and exhaust ports and some other little "free" hp tricks and that really woke the engine up.

Both cars would get over 30 mpg on the highway and mid 20's around town.

They sound nice too.. A whole lot better than a Honda Civic with a coffee can for a muffler.

For performance parts, a lot more is available for the Mitsu 4 bangers but there is no replacement for displacement. Open the wallet and the sky is the limit..... Or as cheap as these stock engines and trannies are are used, just flog them until they blow and slap another one in it LOL.

I personally like the interiors of the 2g best. Both have a modern look to them but IMHO the 2g flows better.

A lambo dook kit with the million $$$ looks of this car, nobody will care what's under the hood when you pull into a 7-Eleven for a slurpee, they will all be trying to figure out what celebrity just pulled into the lot.

At first I thought that as well; but then, after I read Fran's statement [that the donor car's 4G63T would be utilized], wouldn't that rule out the third generation (4G64 toting) Eclipse?

Well like "DarkDevil" stated the 3g eclipse owners commonly upgrade to the Mitsu Evolution 9/8 4g63t motor or simply add a dohc and turbo kit.

There would be little modification to utilize the 4g63t in a 3g eclipse. I have also seen very little problems when using a 4g64/63t combination.

This kit has really got my attention, can't wait to hear more about it :)

Should I put you guys out of your misery?

Guessing is a lot of fun but please do.... Don't spend too much time here though. I want you to get back in the shop and start cranking these things out:D

I vote for g2 95-99 Eclipse/Talon as a single donor.

It's the right profile for the side windows and A pillars when comparing it to the clay model and sketches and the correct car for the 4g63 engine donor and smooth doors probably easier to skin than the doors on the 2000 and up.

3000GT and Dodge Stealth has wrong profile for side windows and was a V6 car.

Last edited:
...3g eclipse owners commonly upgrade to the Mitsu Evolution 9/8 4g63t motor or simply add a dohc and turbo kit.

There would be little modification to utilize the 4g63t in a 3g eclipse. I have also seen very little problems when using a 4g64/63t combination...

...well, if we were to quote me, I ever said anything on the contrary. :rolleyes:

I don't doubt that the 3G Eclipses's motor can accommodate components from it's boosted brother... but that's besides the point. We know the primarily engine choice will be that which comes with the donor production car safety cell -- a 4G63T.

We know the SL-GTA will use the same motor package as the SL-Razor, and to quote Superlite Cars on facebook about that car; "Since the Razor can be built with generally any 4 cylinder engine, putting a DSM drivetrain with 500 HP isn't hard at all..."

I think it's safe to say the production safety cell donor is the DSM offerings of: Mitsubishi Eclipse (first & second generation), Plymouth Laser, & Eagle Talon (first & second generation).

...but who knows... maybe I'm just sipping on my own k00l-aid :D

EDIT: Now, any word if the Superlite GTA will be a 2+2 Coupe?

Last edited:
Back