Targeted Best GT40 Kit, Your Opinions Please

Its fairly simple...

The best one is the one you can afford....

No point talking about, get on and take the plunge. Alter it to your needs as you build it and should the worst happen, somebody somewhere will pay you money for it coz they want one too..

Thanks for the opinions thus far. It really is helpful.

This seems to be the trends I've been hearing (some not mentioned in this thread, some from personal experience):

Superformance - Great roller, but may be too expensive. :( It seems like few can get these built for under my $100k limit.

ERA - also an excellent kit, but also too expensive (> $100k)

Tornado - A well liked space frame kit, been around for years, good customer service, and fits right in budget.

RCR - Aluminium monocoque, excellent reputation. I believe they are a new company, and their first gt40 rolled out on 3/3/07 -- so not sure about customer service / support / etc. Looks like this fits right in budget too. However, I have as of yet been unable to find any interior pictures, or learn about A/C.

Any comments on these? Tornado and RCR, based on budget, seem to be the front-runners.

Thanks,
Scott

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for the opinions thus far. It really is helpful.

This seems to be the trends I've been hearing (some not mentioned in this thread, some from personal experience):

Superformance - Great roller, but may be too expensive. :( It seems like few can get these built for under my $100k limit.

ERA - also an excellent kit, but also too expensive (> $100k)

Tornado - A well liked space frame kit, been around for years, good customer service, and fits right in budget.

RCR - Aluminium monocoque, excellent reputation. I believe they are a new company, and their first gt40 rolled out on 3/3/07 -- so not sure about customer service / support / etc. Looks like this fits right in budget too. However, I have as of yet been unable to find any interior pictures, or learn about A/C.

Any comments on these? Tornado and RCR, based on budget, seem to be the front-runners.

Thanks,
Scott

Made in America goes a long way for me. Fran has an excellent reputation as well as customer service. His cars are equipped with A/C if you desire. There are numerous interior shots on the forum as well. Several forum members have already tracked their cars and shared their experiences and insights. All positive from what I recall. I do not have an RCR but intend on purchasing one when my coffers are restocked, unless Fran wants me to start a college fund for his kids now and I pay weakly.:) So they go to trade school. There is nothing wrong with that.

I would consider the quality and completeness of the kit you can afford, location of the manufacturer as well as suggest you also consider the exchange rate, shipping, availability and time to receive parts in the future if needed (down time of car) to see a real apples to apples comparison of any car you are considering. Then make your own decsion to fit your parameters and budget. Good luck.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
RCR - However, I have as of yet been unable to find any interior pictures, or learn about A/C.

As for interior pics, these are a few advanced RCR builds:

Bill D's thread

Chuck and Ryan's thread

Rob's thread

Bill's in the middle of posting a few interior shots. Chuck and Ryan have a few of their recently running chassis with full interior installed. There's another thread of pics from Run and Gun with more interior shots as well. The search function will be your best friend!

Whoops, just found it> click here

Also, we're neighbors but I'm stuck finishing the endless bodywork phase and balancing the competing attention from holidays and work trips and family visiting. My interior looks fairly similar to when I picked it up a year ago except much dirtier now.

My interior to date (less carpeting)

finalassy_111.JPG

finalassy_106.JPG

finalassy_110.JPG

AC system installed
AC%20008.jpg

Fresh air system using the existing NACA ducts on the front clip
fresh%20air%20004.jpg

Pull cables to open and close the fresh air vents
vent%20cable%20002.jpg

Re: new CAV

Has anyone herd about the new CAV model ?

RMH, I may have missed it but I suspect you're referring to simply an update of the CAV seating arrangement to provide greater head room and leg room - it's not a new model. I believe this seating arrangement improvement was made to the basic design in the last six months or so.

Unless you're really tall (6'3" or more) you'll fit fine in a standard CAV. I'm 6'2" and there's lots of leg room and head room. I do have the seat leaned back a few more degrees which provides add'l clearance. I can wear a helmet just fine.

Just for contrast, for whatever reason, I don't seem to fit so well in the Superformance - it's really tight for headroom. No way I could wear a helmet in that car.

Talk to Roy Sayles (sp) at VIP Classics in San Diego - nice friendly fellow. He'll be able to give you the latest information.

I agree with Cliff, I fit in the CAV with helmet, No way can I get in a superformance with a helmet. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs. My new CAV #134 is black, and the factory paint is so,so,
The engine placement with a ZF is also not great, I want to move it forward and down. But I'm a picky-guy, over all the car is very nice.
However I have recenty visited Fran at RCR and was very impressed. Of course the CAV is less engine and trans so its a lot less work than a RCR. But then again the RCR you can custom taylor as you build.
I still fit best in my CAV
randy

:eek:Thanks Cliff I'll give Roy @ VIP a call.He has a used one listed on Cobra Country for 89 K ? It might be worth getting the new 100 series with all the mods & upgrades.
Randy your CAV # 134 sounds nice and must look awesome in black ! I would love to see some pictures and any feed back you could offer would be great.

thanks
Rick

:eek:Thanks Cliff I'll give Roy @ VIP a call.He has a used one listed on Cobra Country for 89 K ? It might be worth getting the new 100 series with all the mods & upgrades.
Randy your CAV # 134 sounds nice and must look awesome in black ! I would love to see some pictures and any feed back you could offer would be great.

thanks
Rick

Roy has a bunch of rollers for sale from $56K to $75K. Just add engine and tranny.

Ian

thanks
Rick

Rick, for $89K that should be more than just a roller - new rollers from Roy shouldn't be more than about $75K (negotiable prices for sure). For $89K that might include a basic 302 variant plus perhaps a basic transaxle I would guess?? He's a real fair guy to work with so you can deal with confidence and trust, but don't be afraid to negotiate hard on price!

You'll love your CAV!

You can get an RCR turn key minus for low 60's + options. American made by a Brit!rockonsmile

How many cars are actually on the road in USA from CAV or SPF or RF or ERA or Tornado? There are quite a few RCR 40's on the road already and Fran is relitively new to the game.

Come to Run and Gun next year and see the 40's race. There was an ultima there too but I only saw him in my mirrors!;)

Rick, for $89K that should be more than just a roller - new rollers from Roy shouldn't be more than about $75K (negotiable prices for sure). For $89K that might include a basic 302 variant plus perhaps a basic transaxle I would guess?? He's a real fair guy to work with so you can deal with confidence and trust, but don't be afraid to negotiate hard on price!

You'll love your CAV!

Cliff,

I was pointing out that Roy has a bunch of rollers in stock as well as the turnkey, slightly
used one for $89K. Rick might be better off going for a roller and dropping in the engine
and tranny of his choice as opposed to buying a used car and redoing things.

Ian

hey Cliff,yeah that is a complete car (# 98 old model) that Roy is selling for a customer.Anyway I have a Backdrat Cobra & they now will be selling a BDR version CAV.The BDR 40 is the new series CAV & it comes standard with the wide body &17" wheels & stripes and all the new CAV upgrades.I ordered a car today so on Monday I have to finalize the colors.Reg has 4 cars coming on the 1st order.The guys @ Vintage motorsport who built my Cobra were able to get me one.It should be here for the end of April. I'm leaning toward indy blue w/white stripes ? Any color ideas or pictures would be a great help for my decision ?:D

new BDR CAV

Hey Ian ,that's what I'm doing. The new BDR with all the options and upgrades is not far off the price of the old vip rollers? I'm leaning toward a Roush package.:rolleyes:

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Rick, scroll down to post number 16 and click on Randy's build site for a picture of a nice blue/white combo.

Rick,

Although you have already placed an order, I have an RCR and live in CT. I am about half way through my build, but you are welcome to come take a look.

As for color, I'm going orange with dual black stripes. I probably changed my mind several times before settling on this color. My 14 year old son went to a Benjamin Moore paint store and got a copy of their Personal Color Viewer software, scanned a picture of a GT40 and then set it up so we could change colors. The colors aren't perfect, but you have about 10,000 to choose from. Here was my last color choice:

gt-40.jpg

I also thought about these:

12073.jpg

blueandwhite.jpg

gt-40colorgreenandgold.jpg

Hi Mark ,I live in Greenwich and I would love to see your car. Did I meet you at Rons shop in Wallingford when you brought your Daytona Coupe in? I was with Jay from Vintage motorsports that day ?

Yes you did! I didn't realize this was you. Ron's almost got the coupe ready for paint. You are welcome anytime I am home (most weekends).

Back