Targeted Best GT40 Kit, Your Opinions Please

Cliff,

I was pointing out that Roy has a bunch of rollers in stock as well as the turnkey, slightly
used one for $89K. Rick might be better off going for a roller and dropping in the engine
and tranny of his choice as opposed to buying a used car and redoing things.

Ian

Hi Ian, yup, understood - makes total sense. Starting with a roller and doing it the way you want is likely to save money in the end and be more satisfying so that's some good advice.

Mark this is all your fault you know .We'll not realy as I've wanted a GT 40 for a long time but you were talking about your new build & that got me thinking all over again. At the same time the CAV BAckdraft deal came together and BDR made me a promo deal I could not refuse .I saw your Daytona last week
and it looks perfect . I'm going up to Vintage today to finalize some GT details and those guys are doing some work on my 65 Corvette Coupe . It was not easy to get them to work on the vette so I had to remind them that Peter Brock helped design the coupe before the Daytona and it worked ?
I'll send you a P M and I would love to see your car.

Hey, I'm always happy to take the blame when it means somebody else catches the fever to buy one of these cars! Look forward to catching up, Rick.

I would opt for an RCR built with your engine/transaxle choice sent to him for installation.

I didn't realize that RCR had any roller / turnkey minus options. Although I'm comfortable doing jobs like engine swaps, basic body work, electrical wiring -- the RCR build logs I've seen here on the forums have been "pretty scary" to me, with the amount of fabrication and parts locating done (esp. the wide body gulf build).

Having a certain amount of the vehicle pre-assembled seems like a wise choice for me. The most complex auto-repair I've ever done was changing a motor in a modern car with a motor from a different model car (Toyota MR2). I'm a little terrified with the prospect of making a decision on brake line routing, or other "critical" system components -- where I frankly "don't know what I do not know".

We supply the large palette upon which you can personalise any of our cars to your own taste.

We also offer TK and TK minus builds along with kits....starting at 64k for a TK minus RCR40....

The fabrication required are personal preference items for the most part..... we often make small items for customers after they take delivery and decide they want a little of this or that....being based in the USA gives people the option of coming by at anytime and seeing their car being built... and add those little additional touches...

ALL RCR deluxe and deluxe plus packages are delivered pre-assembled and delivered as rollers.....including pre-bent and installed SS brake lines...;)

Leather/AC/ SS crossover exhausts ...big brakes are all standard package components and not upgrades....

Feel free to call and we can discuss what makes the RCR a great platform for street use.....and proven to be great on track cars using stock componentry also....

Last edited:

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Scott

We can offer you basic kits, complete kits, rolling chassis kits, part built and complete cars with and without drive train installed.

In fact any spec of car you would like part built to any stage. Each is custom built to the customers exact specs.

We offer both spaceframe and monocoque chassis type cars.

Brakes can be 2 pot, 4 pot or 6 pot

We have been manufacturing component cars since 1984 and building GT40s for 19 years now and have sold close to 900 cars which have covered thousands of miles.

We supply a comprehensive assembly manual and every single item required to finish the car to any spec from road to full race is available direct from ourselves.

We can deliver all parts direct to your door anywhere in the world.

Please look at our web site at Tornado Sports Cars

If you need any further information please email either myself or Scott in the US.

Thanks

Andy

Yes I have to thank you Mark and I'm sure we'll have some great rides this summer. I think I foud my colors ?
attachment.php
:D

Having been to the RCR facility and ordered an SL-C, My impression as an engineer was that of "why has not anyone done this before". The GT-40's from RCR are indeed well thought out, well engineered, and the updated suspension is superior.
The fit and finish of the gelcoat bodywork is one of the best around. I have looked at SPF, etc. Performance comparable to the Ultima GTR is attainable within the aero limits of the GT-40,s shape. For value, completeness and support I believe that RCR is the way to go. As for repairability of the RCR mono chassis structure, it utilizes easily obtainable shapes and plate and (in my opinion) is relatively simple to repair. Of course, my first advice would be to see as many GT-40's as you can, drive them if possible and make a decision and commitment. It will be your baby so go with whichever pleases you most.

Your all just kidding youselfs any way... we all know unless you buy a Gelscoe Car you have got second best. Trouble is the price !!.
Still, dream on.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I have never heard of it either. I tried to Google it, and apparently they haven't either. The price will always be high if no one knows about it.

Regards Brian

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Genuine cars restored or new builds to original drawings and specification.
They have also prepared several originals for competitive racing and supply original replacement parts.

Gelscoe Motorsport

Attachments

• GOOdwood 06.jpg
    GOOdwood 06.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 318
  • GOOdwood 11.jpg
    GOOdwood 11.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
so they produce really expensive replicas then

Not only that, but if they are so "accurate", you're building a car that doesn't
take as much advantage of modern technology as some of the "less accurate"
companies.

So, I'd say second best is totally in the eyes of the beholder here.

Closest to original, sure. But that is not always the best direction to go.

Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
1. Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it does not exist.
2. Depends on your definition of expensive.
3. If I was starting again I'd go for a Gelscoe car, without doubt.
4. They come with FIA papers as well.
5. They are 'abfab' - absolutely fabulous.
6. They beat Safir cars hands down.
7. These are my opinions.

dream on.........

Last edited:
Picture on gallery shows cars at 2008 Classic Cars show at the NEC, I think 1089, the red car, the green roadster restored by Gelscoe 111, and Gelscoe GT 40 chassis 001, the white car.

They build clones of the GT 40, priced accordingly. You usually get what you pay for...

Last edited:
Back