Targeted Best GT40 Kit, Your Opinions Please

Dave, I clearly don't speak for all of us over here BUT.....

If it was made in the 60's, it is a GT40. People try to make their cars into something they're not all the time. They are all replicas if they don't meet that very basic criteria. Any attempt to copy the car to any degree just makes it a better or worse replica, kit, reproduction, what ever. Whether it is endorsed by some GT40 gods or not is a function of the almighty dollar, a business deal. Nothing more. If that was not true these great replicas would bring the same price as some of the originals. They don't. They are not the real deal.

I still love mine what ever someone wants to label it. :thumbsup:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Spot-ON Victors....

I've felt the same way about all of the GT40 cars currently being marketed today.
I know that there are some that will swear up one side and down the other that their car is a licensed continuation car of the original - therefore an original. I maintain that these cars were replicas before cash changed hands therefore becoming "licensed" but they are still the same car - a Replica. A doggoned nice one - but a Replica just the same.

I take my hat off to everyone and anyone having gone through the expense and trouble to put the beauty of these cars back on the roads and tracks around the world...

My understanding is that Holman-Moody makes Mark II cars from original drawings and tooling. They would be considered replicas, I'm sure, but 100% accurate including the T44 transaxle. Is that true or was I misinformed?

Will

The best 'kit' isn't a fair question to start with anyway. Resort back to the search features - there is such a wealth of info on this forum on this subject that it makes no practical to ask. Do so or otherwise you'll end up with an abundance of 'other than' info for the green GT inquiry to digest.

Of course this is just my take on it.

Chris

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Clone, continuation, re-creation, replica, silhouette, all mean a copy. IMHO if it wasn't made in the 60's it is a replica/copy.

"What is the Best replica"? Is a bit like asking which is the best women.
The answer is the one you fall in love with and can hopefully afford.

My understanding is that Holman-Moody makes Mark II cars from original drawings and tooling. They would be considered replicas, I'm sure, but 100% accurate including the T44 transaxle. Is that true or was I misinformed?

Will

Will, you are not misinformed (but I am sure someone will let me know in due time if I am) Holman-Moody is right up the road from me and they can turn out a really nice copy. I am not sure they use original tooling or not but the end result is a beautiful car non the less. They might even be coerced into doing a kit, but I doubt it.

I have had the good fortune to own 2 gt40s, one a continuation SPF MK11 and the other a CAV. The SPF is a continuation registered car, that is a fact. It is a replica also, that too is a fact. I have heard of no one trying to pass one off as an original, but I am sure there are those that may try. It is way too complicated trying to explain the continuation thing when someone asks if it is real. We all know that they are really asking if it is an original 60s car, and the only answer is no.

Will
If I did this correct, the attached pictures of the dark spots hanging on the wall are the original HM molds now located at the Shelby American museum in Boulder, CO. The picture of the MKIV is just to tease. I did see a Superformance car that HM was preparing when I was down at Olthoff Racing a few weeks past. My dad told me years ago that HM was placing spares in the racks using a forklift to lift the cars somtime after 1969. If we only knew the future....
Grady-Asheville, NC
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
moz-screenshot-3.jpg

Oh the red car in the foreground is the Wilment Daytona Coupe that Bob Olthoff drove.

Last edited:
and to think, all this time we have been speculating on which one is best and it was right under our noses all the time. thank you Gelco

Dont suppose that Gorrick being a car builder & apparently owner of 'Gel 001' might be ever so slightly biased towards the product :) , however at least with that serial #001 there may be hope for 998 others.
Its all about what 'you' want at the end of the day, not what others think you should have. Picky old 'Bar Stewards' like me can find fault in most of them! :):)

Back