Vaughn's RCR Build

Chuck

Supporter
Vaughn:

Your seams look really good - straight and true. And that door looks really solid. Keep the posts coming!

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Vaughn,
Gotta add to the comments.....the body fitment looks fantastic. Nice work.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Looking good Vaughn. Nice to see you making progress. For the do it yourselfer, progress is usually made at a glacial pace but the trick is to stick with it. My body work took 14 months but as you probably see already in your own, it's worth it.

And nice work on making it your own way.

I just finished installing my Hot Rod Air heating and cooling system. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who did the earlier builds with Hot Rod Air from RCR who might have an electrical schematic that they could email me. I have Fran's build manual but no schematics for the heating and air. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. I also noticed that the flappers that open and close from the three vents that come up into the plentum (?) don't exactly open very wide or close very well even though the push rod is installed proplerly. Is that common? It just doesn't appear to me that it will allow enough air into the plentum to cool the car properly. Am I wrong about this (I hope). I live in Redding, CA and we have extreme heat in the summer. Air conditioning is an absolute necessity. The build is moving along very well. We'll have som pictures to post next week.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Vaughn - it's good to read you again!

I don't have any electrical schematics to share but hopefully someone does. The last time I tried to contact HotRod Air - the best I could tell was they are out of business..

The flapper valve at the plenum does not work very well - you are correct there - but there's not a lot of room inside there for a big flappler that moves totally out of the air stream when open..

I just finished installing my Hot Rod Air heating and cooling system. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who did the earlier builds with Hot Rod Air from RCR who might have an electrical schematic that they could email me. I have Fran's build manual but no schematics for the heating and air. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. I also noticed that the flappers that open and close from the three vents that come up into the plentum (?) don't exactly open very wide or close very well even though the push rod is installed proplerly. Is that common? It just doesn't appear to me that it will allow enough air into the plentum to cool the car properly. Am I wrong about this (I hope). I live in Redding, CA and we have extreme heat in the summer. Air conditioning is an absolute necessity. The build is moving along very well. We'll have som pictures to post next week.

Vaugh,
I have that info. I will PM you.
-J.

Thank's guys for your help on this issue. You're right Hotrod Air is out of business. I've been dragging my feet on this build due to some health issues. It's amazing what a hip replacement can do. I feel 10 years younger. I also have a good friend Dale McClintock who is an expert mechanic helping me along so it looks like between the two of us will have this 40 up and running before too long. I hope

as I was saying I hope to Post some pictures by the first of the week. Thanks again for your response looking forward to hearing from you. It's good to be back!!!
Vaughn

I forgot, I can do this! This is the way mine is wired, though again I am using the Isis kit and am doing things differently.

Attachments

• Circuit1.jpg
    Circuit1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 456
Salmon-- Thank you for the quick response. I will print it out and get it to my buddy Dale. He will be relieved to have it. While I have been sitting idle on my build I have been looking at some of the other builds and trying to incorporate some of the things I've seen some great stuff. But, your car is in a class of its own. Good job beautiful work. Every time I look at it I drool.
Thanks again
Vaughn

Chuck

Supporter
Vaughn:

As I recall the wiring diagram is posted on the RCR on line manual. I can send you a copy if you like.

For what it is worth, I ran the high speed fan motor through a relay since it appears to draw about ten amps. Details on my build blog.

The wiring diagram I am looking at is quite different than what is used with the ISIS system.

Chuck

Vaughn

This is the drawing from the manual. I wired mine exactly that way. It is just showing th wiring of the fan and compressor through the trinary switch

There is an additional power and ground going to the fan knob ( not on the drawing) for the AC Fan

TOM

Attachments

• Trinary%20wiring%20powered%20thermostat.jpg
    Trinary%20wiring%20powered%20thermostat.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 491
Tom and Vaughn,

The thing I don't like about the setup from the RCR build - unless I am reading it wrong which is more than a possibility - is that the fan control is completely independent from the compressor control. In other words the compressor comes on but the fan doesn't necessarily run. And, if your trinary kicks you out, your fan won't work.

edit....
Already I think I am wrong.... I didn't realize the trinary will control the fans. So it will work just right like this :)

-J.

Last edited:
Tom and Vaughn,

The thing I don't like about the setup from the RCR build - unless I am reading it wrong which is more than a possibility - is that the fan control is completely independent from the compressor control. In other words the compressor comes on but the fan doesn't necessarily run. And, if your trinary kicks you out, your fan won't work.

edit....
Already I think I am wrong.... I didn't realize the trinary will control the fans. So it will work just right like this :)

-J.

If the trinary switch is activating the compressor, it is also activating the fans.
I have second relay on my car for the fan control via thermostat or manual switch, which than overrides the trinary controlled relay.

TOM

Chuck

Supporter
Mine is wired exactly like Tom. Fans go on based on compressor and engine temp. Like Tom I added a switch that turns on the fans manually overriding all the trinary switch. As I recall the switch is on the ground circuit to the fan relay. With about 2000 miles much in warm weather I can tell you it works fine.

The diagram Tom sent is the same one I was referring to.

I probably have a diagram for the fan circuit if it would be of any value.

Back