Kitcars gain emissions exemption in NC

G

If Ron Earp were with me right now, I'd kiss him. Thanks to him and, I'm sure, a bunch of Cobra guys who were getting smacked by DMV here in NC, we have just received an offical memo from the DMV that they will no longer enforce emissions standards on kitcars as of July 1, 2002. What a victory for motorsports enthusiasts in North Carolina! I'd be happier with a law, but this vitually carries the force of law, so I'll take it!!!

G

Ian, I read an article in one of the car rags a few weeks ago, but unfortunately, I left the magazine on the airplane. It sounds like it is similar to our exemption, EXCEPT they are limiting it to the first 500 who apply each year. I would imagine that, in California, that is a pretty significant restriction.

You lucky bastards! Lucky lucky cluck
cluck cluck cluck ....

OK, paraphrased from Black Adder!
smile.gif

Actually, California's law isn't too bad
from what I can tell so far, but I haven't
really dissected it yet.

Ian

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
In addition to the letter above stating the intention to exempt "kit cars" we now have the document that went out to inspection enforcement and the inspection stations them selves. With these two documents no one in NC should have a problem with emissions inspection.
-Lynn

Attachments

• 22150-NC_emmisions_waiver.zip
    39.3 KB · Views: 462
Good news, guys. Based on my preliminary research, it appears that here in Massachusetts we have to fail emissions once and then seek a waiver from the state on a case-by-case basis, but I've only made preliminary inquiries. I unfortunately can't title my GT40 as a 1965 or 1966 model...how does that work in NC?

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Mark, if you do it the right (read legal) way it is registered using the year is was constructed or finished. I will be registering mine as a 2003. We have to make an appointment for an inspector to look at the car and the receipts, he will obtain a state issued VIN if the manuf. didn't provide one. Then when we apply for the title we have to fill out an affidavit stating how and/or by who the car was built and list out parts/price. Get insurance (see thread in Consumer section as this is a whole other nightmare in NC) and then get our title and tag. I only hope it is as easy as it sounds.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn, it's not as easy as we would like. I just registered my 34 Ford coupe replica as a 2003 custom coupe, the "right way" in NC. I had to get 2 appraisals from licensed NC dealers as to the value of my car, then, get a title bond for 1 and 1/2 times the value of the car, and submit that. The state asked for an MSO for the engine and trans first, or, the title bond. As you know, no such document exists for engine and trans, used or new. The hardest part was getting the appraisals from dealers. Most dealers shy away from that, since a "kit car" value is difficult to appraise. If you have any questions, email me, and I will do my best to help. By the way, my car is now registered legally, and inspected, thanks to the document Ron posted. Regards, Chris Potter

Back