Chassis Weight

Hi All.

I'm new to all this, and just curious as to how much the bare chassis weighs.

RCR Alloy, looks fantastic

The original chassis and Tube framed chassis.

Cheers everyone and thanks

Ray

RCR weighs a shade over 300lbs including fuel tanks...

Make sure to add the weight of the aluminum cladding and fuel tanks to any tube chassis for an apples to apples comparison....

Hi Fran,

When you say a shade over 300 lbs., what is a "shade"?

If you would allow me, I'd like to take a stab at guessing your mono's weight from just a few simple deductions.

A 4x8 sheet of aluminum, depending on alloy, as far as I can tell without knowing the actual alloy, weighs on average 110-120 lbs. per sheet at the thickness you provide, (6mm/.250"). Or 3.4 - 3.75 lbs. per square foot.

So allowing for the benefit of the doubt, and without the roll bar that an RCR has to have, would mean that, using conservative figures, your mono has about 3 sheets of aluminum used in its construction, or 96 sq. ft.

Totaling 330 - 360 lbs.

The only thing I can't get my head around is how you only need 3, 4x8 sheets or 96 sq.ft. of aluminum to build a mono.

I have not included any of the extruded aluminum re-inforcements shown in pictures of the RCR mono.

Please help me to understand how an RCR tub is built.

Thanks,
Scott

Ah Scott ...
you are assuming that all the material is 6 mm ...which it is not and that 100% of all the sheet is being used....again which it is not....

Many of the guys on the forum have picked up one end of the bare chassis with me holding the other.....why the concern Scott...???

An aluminum Lola Mk3b original tub weights 115lbs......

Last edited:
No concern at all.

Just wondering.

Oh by the way, the little red tach needle below you avatar is inoperative.

Its the one that lets everyone know who's online.

Cheers,
Scott

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Ah Scott ...

Many of the guys on the forum have picked up one end of the bare chassis with me holding the other.....why the concern Scott...???

I for one, can attest to the fact that the RCR chassis is VERY light. I was able to easily lift the rear of one of one with Fran lifting the front - really amazing. If only I could find someone to buy my S1 Esprit.......

Dave L

Fran's answer is accurate. My chassis weight is around 307 lbs without the full cage. The cage will add about 45-50 lbs as I remember. I weighed it all. Next question!

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Our spaceframe chassis requires minimal panelling.
It requires 2 x 8' X 4' sheets, 1 X 6' X 3' sheet and a floorpan all in 16 gauge to cover the required areas.

The total weight of this material is 105 lbs.

Therefore this amount of material in 1/4" would weigh approx 4 times as much which is 420lbs and there is not enough there to complete a mono chassis by far.

I am looking forward to weighing both of our monos when they are completed.

Which is heaviest. A ton of feathers or a ton of bricks?

Andy

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Hell, what are we trying to build here?

1/4" plate?

We should be building a nice nimble sportscar:pepper: not a great lumbering tank!!:confused:

Cheers

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Russ

Our 40s are spaceframe based and the lightest cars available at a shade over 2000 lbs.

As a comparison a GTD weighs 2600 to 2700 lbs.

Thanks

Andy

If things continue to go well up here, we'll "soon" have some comparative data for Tornado, R.F., GTD, an original and a bottoms up scratch built car, that is provided of course the owners which to participate in such a comparison.

Of course we have to scale em without the owners sitting in them:)

Brian

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
No idea on the DAX chassis weight but at SVA with full tanks it was1150kg

OK with a Rover 3.9EFi and Renaut Box

Ian

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Based on my partially completed solidworks model of the DAX chassis, the steel spaceframe only is 230lb, one or two small bits to add, so lets say 250. I emphasise that I have yet to check some thicknesses, so the final answer could go up further. I havent added any ally floor pan or other panels yet, so these and tanks etc are not included.

Dave

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mine weighs 273 lb, but I 'know' of another thats lighter still !

Jac Mac

Ahhh:pepper:.... but will it hold together? ;) Ultimate light weight is not the holy grail if it keeps breaking! :rolleyes: Where do you draw the line.....? :confused:

Cheers

Back