2006 Brighton Speed Trials

Hi all -
As well as keeping the forum posted on Malcolm's / Team happenings at Silverstone, I will also try to keep you informed re this year's Speed Trials at Brighton - taking place later... Today (Sat) on the sea front.

As usual a good turn out is expected - including club members Ian Catt in his Suzuki Single seater - Nadine and Bjorn in their Viper GTS's + the usual GT40 crowd.

I got home late this eveing after spending most of the afternoon and evening working on Dave Parker's GTD R42... I am pleased to say - (fingers crossed) that the missfire that has been troubling him recently we believe is cured! and the car is sounding mightier than ever!!!!

Add to that - we finished installing the extra 150BHP of NOS about 22:00 this evening (not tried in anger yet) and all solenoids, 2nd fuel pump and auto ignition retard via Motec ECU are functioning correctly. Dave actually looking a little, dare I say 'Nervous' re the prospect of using it...

Still - should be interesting when he does (6.3L Chevy)....

Rodger Burston took the Dave Wilson Memorial trophy last year with a well earned win in his mighty GTD40 Mk1 - with his bored and stroked 351 giving him a 408ci small block - topped with Weber's nice!!! - but can he hold onto it? - Remember the DWM Trophy is only awarded to a GT40 so Vipers and R42's will have to 'play amongst themselves' - :D :D :D

Will update you again later tomorrow (or in fact - later today!!!)
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Last edited:
From Yesterday's Speed Trials at Brighton -

A group line-up...

Attachments

• sml IMG_0198.JPG
    sml IMG_0198.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 651
Welcome competitor Julian Bailey-Watts's recently acquired GT40. The ex 'Usher-Sparks' Racecar, with dry-sumped Chevy shows that a tall bloke (Dave Parker) can fit too. (1st time for Dave...)

Attachments

• sml IMG_0202.JPG
    sml IMG_0202.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 640
  • sml IMG_0211.JPG
    sml IMG_0211.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 633
  • sml IMG_0212.JPG
    sml IMG_0212.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 652
  • sml IMG_0213.JPG
    sml IMG_0213.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 620
  • sml IMG_0214.JPG
    sml IMG_0214.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 628
  • sml IMG_0218.JPG
    sml IMG_0218.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 617
Andrew Fordyce competed with a different Ford V8 - Having sold his trusty GTD - a New 'Stang' - complete with 'Air-Con' and 'iPod' - much to Julian's amusement...

Attachments

• sml IMG_0209.JPG
    sml IMG_0209.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 587
So who was fastest?............

Well, once again Rodger Burston in his Mighty GTD40 Mk1 stole the show...

When everyone was complaining of 'no grip' and a 'slippery' startline/track, he stormed his way to an 11.99s :eek:

So, if you are after a mighty small block - (his is a 408 in a 351 block - topped with 48 IDAs) - then give him a call...

Attachments

• sml IMG_0231.JPG
    sml IMG_0231.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 628
One last thought -

Dave's R42 was a handful. After a practice run to check for missfires - all was ok and rather than bag a timed run, Dave decided to run with the NOS on his first run. Systems checked ok.. he opted to run the NOS in just 3rd and 4th - however.... watching from behind, he fairly violently kicked the rear out twice during the run, having to back off on each occasion and throwing his alternator belt in the process.

Reason, he managed to engage the NOS in 2nd by mistake, 5400rpm became 7400rpm, the tyres let go and out she stepped. Lifting, getting it straight and then losing traction again in 3rd as the NOS hit lost more time so run was poor. The alternator belt being thrown also clouted the crank trigger and caused a minor leak from the main NOS feed to the solenoid, so he decided to call it a day. He did say that when the NOS hits - "Yes! - you can certainly feel it!!".....

At the end of the day - I then drove Steve to Silverstone to support Malc's efforts in the 24 hr Britcar Event, which you'll hear about elsewhere..... - a Long Long day......:zzz: :zzz:

Brighton 2006

What a superb day!

Excellent weather, some superb cars and such a friendly atmosphere - what more could a petrolhead want!

Photo of the results board attached some pretty quick motors!

Attachments

• DSCN1433s.JPG
    DSCN1433s.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 566
Last edited:
That old Allard still keeps it all in perspective though, 10.28 in a machine 40 years old is good going against some of this class, particularly the four wheel drive turbo group B rally cars. Son Ian won his class again with a run of 11.70. Frank

Keith

Here is a results sheet from 21 years ago. Frank Catt is right, Jim Tiller was (is) still the man to beat with that Allard - it's a monster and as you can see from the '85 results, Jim didn't run this year as he had done his back in (this was half mile then - don't get excited) and he held the track record for this class at around 17.92 secs. You will notice that my class winning time still did not quite equal this. He was very disparaging about my car anyway and didn't like wild card entries spoiling his thunder muttering about "detroit iron" which was slightly ironic since the Allard is powered by a monster of a motor which owes much to Motown.

I'm not sure how old he is now but he must be in his '70's at least.. Glad to see he's still going..

Attachments

• BST(s).jpg
    BST(s).jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 536
Back