Today's The Day!

Keith

Hey Jack you got it! I had faith in you mate.... :)

Suppose I could have mischievously added that if it were not for this man, y'all would be speaking French now, or Spanish..

Oh now waaaait a damned minute...:shocked:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Can I be ignorant hee?

How do they read the flags
Top to bottom, left to right, right to left etc?

Thanks
Ian

Keith

Since they're all on a vertical hoist and on different halyards, you can rule out left to right and vice versa.

Try top to bottom, but it's not even as easy as that...

Jack's right, it is becoming a lost art...

For the uninitiated and disinterested, today is Trafalgar Day, which celebrates the defeat of the combined Spanish and French fleets October 21st 1805 off Cap Trafalgar, Spain, By Admiral Viscount Horatio Nelson, who also died at his post on the deck of his flagship - Victory. The ship has been preserved in Portsmouth and still serves as the Flagship of the British Navy.

Here she is today, undergoing a major restoration. She is normally fully rigged but has had the masts removed for repairs. If you are ever in the South of England, it is well worth a visit to the Naval Dockyard and a tour of the Victory.

And I cheated a bit. Had to pull out an old book to reference as I got hung up on two flags. The Boatsman's Manual, Carl D. Lane, first edition. (1942)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Jack - I can still send Morse code about 25 wpm and receive plain Language about 15 wpm. Code slightly quicker. Semaphore was on my list as well but there was no instruction base for it any more after 1970. God - 44 years -that sounds a long time ago now.

Jack - I can still send Morse code about 25 wpm and receive plain Language about 15 wpm. Code slightly quicker. Semaphore was on my list as well but there was no instruction base for it any more after 1970. God - 44 years -that sounds a long time ago now.

Better than mine David! I'm dreadfully slow and I miss a LOT.

Hey Jack you got it! I had faith in you mate.... :)

Suppose I could have mischievously added that if it were not for this man, y'all would be speaking French now, or Spanish..

Oh now waaaait a damned minute...:shocked:

Not to worry it wouldnt have lasted, you all came pretty close to speaking German anyway :shocked:

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Trafalgar...ahh.
That's why the modern Spanish navy frigates all have glass hulls.
So they can still see the old Spanish navy..
As one with a bushy tail used to say.. Boom Boom.

Back