Racing a GT40 Replica (was BEST GT40 for Racing)

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been brought up, but I couldnt find the thread.

Quick introduction. I just joined the forum and am new to these cars. I come from a background of racing the more modern, technology STUFFED cars. However, This last year I was invited to race a couple vintage cars and have become "Smitten" with them! :heart: They have so much more personality & character!

SO NOW, I've been left with no choice but to get my own!!! :drunk: Im going back and forth debating which one I NEED to get for myself! I have narrowed it down to the Daytona Coupe or the GT40.

***The car I choose is going to be used as a race car (I have no intention of making it a street car)***

Some simple questions to start with:

1. From YOUR experiences and from a builders perspective, which GT40 or Daytona (CAV, RCR, Superformance) do you guys think is the best for this application? Obviously the cars can be built up to be raced, but straight out of the box who do you feel builds the best chassis for this? Which leads me into my next question...

2. I noticed the CAV is approximately 2,400 pds locked stalked and loaded? (i.e. with engine and tranny) Correct me if im wrong? Where are the others at?

3. In any case, are these replicas not suitable to be commissioned as dedicated race chassis? (this should probably be my first question)

Forget engines and transmissions, Im interested in Chassis design. The Engine and Transmission questions will come later :shy:

Re: BEST GT40 for Racing??!!??

There's a huge difference between a race car, and a track car. What is your specific ambition?

If you want to just have fun on a track, then the field is wide open. But if you actually want to vintage race your car, the field narrows down considerably. Some of the more liberal sanctioning bodies in the USA will accept certain Superformance cars as 'vintage' race cars; I don't know if any other GT40 replicas are afforded that opportunity.

If you want to go racing in the big leagues, i.e. Europe, then your most likely avenue would be a Gelscoe continuation car. Bring a big bag of money; if it has $400,000 in it, you won't have much left after you've bought one of their dead-nuts perfect GT40 replicas.

Thank you for the input Mike. Intentions are to make it a race car. Most likely wont be interested in an overseas series, but I am already on Gelscoes website checking out the goods! :shy:

I don't know wich is best to race...
there are some GT40-R versions?

also I saw this one in my country for sale...
its race prepared so it seems, but RHD...and expensive?

it says this
VERY SPECIAL FORD GT 40 540 HP FULLY RACE , ALL PAPERS INCL ROAD LICENS, 2007 WINNER GOODWOOD TRADE POSIBEL..

Ford, GT, GT 40 auto te koop - AutoScout24

look for yourself.

oh...I now see your in the US...then maybe the SPF GT40-R?

maybe here?

http://www.pathfindermotorsports.com/racing/Home.html

don't know them but I saw this

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/28338-superformance-gt40r-competition-update.html

Last edited:

Hi Ash ??

Depending on which organisation you want to race it, give Fran from RCR a call and he will be open to discuss a dedicated Race version of our superb GT40 Replica for you.

The full adjustabiliy of the suspension and flexibiliy of our chassis to adapt a lot of different enginge Trans combos will give you all the options to built a car exactyl meeting your needs

TOM

Rene, that car seems fantastic! Wish it was LHD though. All those links you provided gave me GREAT info. I will definitely be contacting Pathfinder. I had already put an inquiry into Superformance in Irvine, CA. I have so many questions! :)

Tom, Ill send Fran a message soon. I would definitely love to hear what his opinion and suggestions are on all of this. Thank you for helping me out.

Andy, did I read correctly on that that link you sent... Tornado offers a Carbon Fiber Monocoque/chassis version?

As Tom pointed out, the choice of car is dependant upon where you wish to race, what type of racing and most importantly, who is sanctioning the event.

Some GT are accepted under the FIA "HTP" for vintage racing, some are accepted by sanctioning bodies (SVRA, HSR, etc.) and some are only eligible for track days or private racing events.

You must know where and how you intend to race and then look amoungst the accepted cars for your answer.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter

You're not going to get a consensus on this forum as we're all passionate about our mark, so a shout out for my manufacturer...

CAV GT Models

My car was going to be raced by Johann at one point. It seems infinitely adjustable from a suspension set-up standpoint.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor

Andy, did I read correctly on that that link you sent... Tornado offers a Carbon Fiber Monocoque/chassis version?

Ash,

That is correct.

In addition to the carbon chassis, we also offer the same tub in ally honeycomb composite.

Contact Scott Calabro, our North American sales agent for more info.

web GT40 Replica Tornado Sports Cars USA

email [email protected]

voice (413) 977-4408

Thanks,

Andy

As others have mentioned with a "racing" vs track day car there is huge difference and once built as a "race" car , the car would not be much use on the street....a trackday car would still be usable as street car though as its a compromise.

We have quite a few guys that use their A/C , leather trimmed cars as trackday cars and they perform extremely well...as we are based in the USA, we can manufacture anything custom needed in house too.
We have many years of experience with racing and race car fabrication.

Give us a call/email ...

You should give Chris Ardern at Active Power a call (gtreproductions.com). They are developing a purpose built GT40 race car. The suspension was designed from scratch by an ex Champ Car engineer and is optimized for todays modern race tires.

It wouldn't be eligible for vintage racing, but you wouldn't find much competition there anyway. It is approved for NASA Super Touring and Super Unlimited, and would be a nice SCCA GT1 or SPO car.

I shouldn't think a carbon mono would be a good choice for a race car.

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor

F1ash

I forgot to mention we have right and left hand drive versions of all our chassis.

We also offer carbon body shells.

Tom

Why would a carbon fibre monocoque based car not be a good choice for a race car??

Thanks

Andy

F1ash

I forgot to mention we have right and left hand drive versions of all our chassis.

We also offer carbon body shells.

Tom

Why would a carbon fibre monocoque based car not be a good choice for a race car??

Thanks

Andy

Andy

Perhaps I'm mistaken, but restoring a carbon mono after an unfortunate incident would seem to be much more complex and costly than like repairs to a space frame. I knew a fellow racing a 360 Challenge Stradale, after stripping the car to the damaged tub and shipping it to Italy, got a repair bill for $105K.

What's the upside would be a better question?

fact is, that if you one day will also do historic racing then such car can come in handy...

Superformance LLC & Pathfinder Motorsports LLC. Available as the GT40-R, the vehicle is eligible to race in competition in several series and is approved as a vintage racer by the Historic Sportscar Racing Association

but if you just wanna race for fun on trackdays alone you have more options ;-)

its the same builder as I gave in the first link but came across the short story when looking for a picture.

GT40-R Race Car | CarBuyersNoteBook

many pictures of the R on the link below too...looks like a nice product to me, but I'm just a car nut not such a GT40 know how guy, but love them.
also 2 video's its makes some noise though...:laugh:

Pathfinder Motorsports Albums

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor

Tom

A serious race car must be expendable. If you crash it you replace it. Advantages of carbon are extreme light weight combined with high strength and safety for when you do crash.
Depends on how you value your life.
The thread title asked what was the best for racing and Carbon is it.

If its non serious and just a bit of fun then a Spaceframe is fine and in the event of a crash can be repaired.

Either way we manufacture Monocoque cars in both Aluminium or Carbon Fibre and Spaceframe based cars both in right and left hand drive options.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Fran, I will give you a call after the new year to discuss in detail. Thank you for giving me the time.

Well, based on everything that has been said so far, It seems best I ask you guys "What series or racing organizations are racing the cars out here in my neck of the woods (California, Nevada, Arizona, Texas) and what are their build regulations and or restrictions?

Tornado offers indeed many ways to have fun in your GT40, eighter for street fun, track fun or race fun...the most chassis types to choose from.
I wished I had deep pockets or a rich girl or both :D
have to sell my monster car first ;-)

Ron Earp

Admin

Welcome to the forum.

If you truly plan to race your GT40 replica in HSR you do not have a choice of what replica to chose – HSR only accepts the Superformance GT40R replica as far as I am aware. And, if you do go that route you’ll not be able to race the car in the SCCA or NASA because the cage design does not meet the cage requirements for those two sanctioning bodies. You could, of course, redesign the cage but I do not know how that would be received within the HSR.

If you were to choose one of the other replica companies and design a cage that met modern safety standards and designs, such as the SCCA or NASA, you’d not be able to race the car in HSR. HSR only allows the SPF GT40R as “replicas” are not allowed.

So your first question needs to be one of “with what sanctioning body will I race?". Once answered you’ll be able to explore options.

And, please take a look here if you plan on participating in our community on a regular basis.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/introduce-yourself-here/27555-rules-gt40s-com.html

Thanks,

Ron

Tom

A serious race car must be expendable. If you crash it you replace it. Advantages of carbon are extreme light weight combined with high strength and safety for when you do crash.
Depends on how you value your life.
The thread title asked what was the best for racing and Carbon is it.

If its non serious and just a bit of fun then a Spaceframe is fine and in the event of a crash can be repaired.

Either way we manufacture Monocoque cars in both Aluminium or Carbon Fibre and Spaceframe based cars both in right and left hand drive options.

Thanks

Andy

Andy, I guess now I just have to find out what race series is running out in my area and I will go from there. A carbon car does sound enticing!!! :thumbsup:

Back