74.7 KB · Views: 1,633

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Man...I would love to hear that thing run :thumbsup:

No. You wouldn't...

Mankind has never made anything that exceeds the level of sound emitted by those engines! Top Fuel Dragsters hang their lowly heads in shame around these!

I saw a rotary at the PRI show that looked similar in concept...I know Dave knows about the engine but I forget the guys name that built it...

Dave????

This is a 6-rotor engine. First of its kind and a one-off custom job from the rotor fanatics in New Zealand. If it is successful, I'm sure there will be e-shafts (rotary version of a crankshaft) available for whoever wants to build one and we will see more of them.

The 6-rotor engine is a naturally aspirated peripheral port engine and with the exception of the e-shaft, is made entirely from factory Mazda 13b parts, some of which have undoubtedly been modified to house additional center bearings. I'm sure it will run on 91-93 octane and perhaps even the cheaper regular gas. P-port 4-rotors make 550-650hp so this could make somewhere in the neighborhood of 900hp naturally aspirated...but that remains to be seen.

Regardless of the naysayers and haters, naturally aspirated rotaries are some of the most reliable engines out there, period. For all you old farts who remember the early RX's from the early 70's....times have passed you by. Turbocharged rotaries....well, now that is a different story ;)

The engine Fran referred to is an offshore racing boat motor and is a 12-rotor engine that is made up of 3 banks of 4-rotors that combine through a gear drive into one output shaft. Those reportedly make anywhere from 1200 hp to 3000hp depending if n/a or f/i. They are designed to replace one or two (depending if n/a or f/i) 572 c.i. big blocks ( of which are the same size and weight), get more hours between rebuilds and be easier and cheaper to maintain. Search 12-rotor if you want more info.

Rotaries have come a long way in the last few years, especially now that many R&D and manufacturing technologies have become more accessible to niche markets.

[snip]

Rotaries have come a long way in the last few years, especially now that many R&D and manufacturing technologies have become more accessible to niche markets.

The problem is that rotary parts and technology are not readily available or understood.

But you knew that...

The problem is that rotary parts and technology are not readily available or understood.
I understand the technology just fine...it's pretty simple. Really, it is. The only thing that might throw the common person is tuning rotaries as there are two spark plugs that run split timing. That said, there is no shortage of capable people or systems that can manage the task. After all, there are only three moving parts... or in my case, four.

New and used parts are readily available for 13b's and will be for a long time to come, even from Mazda. There is no problem sourcing new/used/aftermarket parts for the 13b whatsoever. The only thing there is a shortage of are new "older" versions of the 13b that no one really wants anyways, 12a parts and new factory e-shafts for the 20b along with it's thick center housing are also difficult to source. The aftermarket has all that taken care of now though :)

Alex, thanks for keeping me up to date with internetz slang...from Urban Dictionary:

<table id="entries"><tbody><tr><td class="word">h4x0r </td> <td class="tools" id="tools_416415">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>
</td> <td class="text" colspan="2" id="entry_416415"> Commonly known as a "script kiddie", the word 'h4x0r' implies 'hacker'. People lame enough to use this word are generally not serious hackers, and are most likely using ready-made and easily-found tools on the internet. They generally have little knowledge of the tools that they use or how they work.
</td></tr></tbody></table>
No wonder I didn't know what it meant and am not surprised you do ;)

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So with 6 rotors, I can only imagine the BANG it would make when trying to start it in a flooded condition!!!!

:eek:

Dave, if only you would turbocompound the two-rotor that comes with the RX-8, you won't need those other four rotors. :)

Even though Wankel rotary engines are, as you so rightly pointed out, much simpler and more reliable than piston engines, a turbocompoounded two-rotor would weigh less, be even more reliable, and use less fuel.

And you'd be going just as fast.

With a shorter wheelbase!

Bassanio et Portia :)

Back