Progress Report: Upgrades to Dean's Old Car

Hi Guys,
I've been getting a few updates done on my SLC to prepare for the summer driving season. Here is a list of upgrades:
1) New seat - using Fran's new fiberglass shell.
2) New TeamTech 6-point harness
3) New Momo Mod 30 320 mm wheel
4) Penske 8760 shocks and Eibach 900/1100 springs
5) Rear exhaust system
6) Drilled and wire-tied rear axle bolts
7) A/C system fully charged and operational
8) Replaced faulty alternator
9) Dyno tune (resulting in 460 wheel hp)
10) Removal of exterior graphics
I will be at Road Atlanta for a NASA event June 15/16. I will post pics and video of that event. I hope to see some of you there.

Jon B

Attachments

• new seat.jpg
    new seat.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 505
  • momo wheel.jpg
    momo wheel.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 529
  • rear penske.jpg
    rear penske.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 448
  • new exhaust from manifold.jpg
    new exhaust from manifold.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 505
  • rear exhaust.jpg
    rear exhaust.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 502
  • slc4.jpg
    slc4.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 633
  • slc3.jpg
    slc3.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 519

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow Jon - that sure looks like a heckuva fine car there...

One thing I might be concerned about is how close the exhaust system is to those braided hoses., unless it's an optical illusion, I would want at least 3" air gap in there and would advise that you wrap both the exhaust and the lines with header wrap..

Give them heck out there and post the video!!!

You sure have it looking good!

I would agree with Randy on the wraping of the exhaust and the lines. It gets smoking hot under there.

That is a GREAT dyno number on a stock ls376 crate motor. Did you do anything else to the engine?

Good call on the hoses close to the exhaust. I'll work on some heat wrap.

Dean: The motor was dyno'd by Brad Brand at Atlanta Chassis Dyno. The motor started at 446 hp and ended up at 463. Brad had to lean it some and added some timing. Nothing else was done.

Really nice car, and good numbers for the engine. Probably putting out over 500 at the crank. That's LS7 power! Good exhaust and intake and a tune easily gets the LS3/376 over 500 HP, which is tremendous value.

I think the canards may be installed incorrectly- the leading edge should be the wide one...

Thanks Will.
The canards only install one way. They have a vertical tab that fits up against the fender lip that would stick out in the air if turned around.

Attachments

• canard.jpg
    canard.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 327
Mark: My goal for the exhaust swap was to make the car a little quieter. The side exhaust had a very harsh tone and I don't like having to wear ear plugs when driving it.

Jack: The canards only go on one way due to angles of the mounting points.

Understand JB, I heard it at Hallet and thought it sounded awesome, but then it didn't have the added 20 hp and I wasn't sitting inside......

Michael Fling

Supporter
Jon,

Just a beautiful machine. Good luck in your race! If you get up Hallett way, be sure to let me know so that I can come drool. Do you have a front bonnet hinge?

Thanks Michael. I do not have a front bonnet hinge.
I'm not sure whether I can add hinges to front or rear. I'd like to if possible.

Thanks for the link, Looking at the HPDE 4 contestants it should be no problem to show who boss of the track.

Back