016 Clutch Bearing

Just in case anyone else got the clutch bearing from RF like I did, and has the 016 gearbox, the correct bearing number is 088-141-165A, not 091-141-165B. The 091 is too tall. I've included a picture the new (wrong) bearing as supplied by RF as compared to the old (correct, replaced with new one) bearing that came with the gearbox.

Attachments

• 79723-DSC06267web.jpg
    79723-DSC06267web.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 381
That is exactly what I thought (I also got the disk and pressure plate from RF). I knew it looked wrong, measured it, became sure it wrong, but tried to install it anyway. No go. Retreived the one off the gearbox from Germany (thanks to you), and took it my local Audi dealer to order a replacement. It feels like the correct bearing, but I'll know better once I try and run it, which will be sometime between now and whenever.

My car (not RF by the way) has an Audi 016 mated through a fairly thick adaptor plate at about 1 inch. The stock Audi bearing, like the non-RF one Pat pictured, was too short and so we took the bearing out of another one of the bracket cups that hold the bearing and welded it to the bottom to space it up 3/8 inch, which was perfect. The RF bearing in Pat's pic does look too tall. My car originally had a bearing that was spaced up that tall. The clutch builder thought that it did not allow the clutch to fully release and shortened its life due to slight contact wear. I just thought I'd add this for guys to consider when setting up the throw-out bearing. By the way, the bearing is the same as used for VW Beetles and was easily and cheaply matched at my local Advance auto parts store.

I guess I lucked out on this one. I got the small one with my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banana.gif

Pat that tall bearing looks correct if you have a 016 and are using the RF clutch assembly. I will check the height and post a photo.

Ron Earp

Admin
Sounds like quality control suffered a bit with parts placement, something we were not aware of until now.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
So which one is needed for this thing? The short one or the tall one? Who has a running RF that knows the score on this one?

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
For what it's worth, I have a Kennedy adapter plate and clutch assembly and use the short bearing.

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if RF used 2 different clutch/flywheel set up's?

[/ QUOTE ]
That is entirely possible. Years ago, I did some research of my own on alternative pressure plates and found one that was far cheaper, same diameter, same bolt pattern and could be bought off the shelf with the correct spring loading. Unfortunately it was a flatter unit and so sat further from the fork. A taller thrust bearing would have solved that problem.

FYI I remember that this pressure plate was off the V8 Holden Commodore (uses the SB Chev V8) rather than the beefed up Rover unit but cant remember much more.

I heard from a little birdy that the correct bearing actually between the two in my picture. But I can't verify that since I haven't run it yet. Hopefuly I can report positive news on mine after this coming weekend.

Jim Dewar

Supporter
Hi Pat, What was the release bearing verdict? I have the tall bearing with my kit and it appears to tall. I am ready to install and would like to avoid another mistake.
Thanks, Jim

I ended up using the long one. The short one was too short. At first I was having problems installing the long one, but that turned out to be operator error. I still have a long clutch pedal, but perhaps I have a crummy m/c.

Back