11 sec run at Brighton Speed Trials??

Well almost!!!

Well done to GTD40 Club Chairman - Roy Smart for his winning time of 12.03 seconds today at the Brighton Speed Trials - and with a terminal speed of 132Mph -

RoyBrighton03.JPG

Full details to follow on website and next mag.

(who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
I really enjoyed meeting you guys while over visiting with Malcolm, fantastic! Great run too, Roy you are The Man!!!

Best,
Ron

Hi there -

The tyres used were AVON slicks - 11.0 x 25.0 x 15
We have full data logging on the car and Roy recorded the following:

0 to 60 mph = 3.6 secs at a distance of 47M
0 to 100 mph = 7.4 secs at a distance of 185M

Max Acceleration 1.1G /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sounds like more than 300 HP to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif What is the weight of the vehicle? What type of data logging system are you using?

Thanks
Gary

Hi again

The car weighs approx 1040KG without driver but has not been weighed for several years. Lots of electronics added since but offset by an all aluminum Fontana block too.

The data logging comprises a 10 channel Astratech system.
We currently log:
Front Wheel Speed (undriven + compensated for wheel dia)
Rear Wheel Speed (driven + compensated for wheel dia)
Engine RPM
Fuel Pressure (psi)
Oil Pressure (psi)
Throttle Position
Front Brake Circuit line pressure (Bar)
Rear Brake Circuit line pressure (Bar)
Lateral G (accelerometer)
Longitudinal G (accelerometer)

In addition - the Motec ECU has data logging facility and can be used to confirm above data or more often to investigate a particular engine parameter, eg lambda.

Not quite 'original fit' equipment but it gives Roy and I a lot of fun investigating what works and more importantly, what doesnt!....

Finally - the venue at Brighton is not an ideal drag track - the track is a public road with less than ideal grip and each change takes about 0.6/0.7s (off throttle). Top speed was not bad when you consider we ran into a headwind of between 8-14mph.

All good fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Malcolm

Supporter
It was a great competition on Saturday (shame about paddock marshalling though!) and it was great to see Roy do so well. Obviously the pressure to find 0.33 secs got to you Paul, to make you fluff your last run! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have developed a theory that my big diameter tyres ruined my top speeds so for next year I shall dig out my slicks and get Wendy up to an A license so we can both run them. This will reduce my rear tyre diameter from 27.5 inches down to 25. This will help gearing in 3rd and 4th gears. Of course, maybe swapping diff ratios to a 3.88 would help too. I have a spare genuine Renault LSD that I might swap for relevant parts if anyone is interested....

Malcolm

Malcolm,

You need a boot full of shopping to go fast!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

J.P

Ron Earp

Admin
I think those times are pretty good. I usually look at terminal V when checking quarter mile times - that is a more realistic indicator of hp. Still, traction must be a serious problem along with gearchanges since you aren't into the 11s yet, but I think you should be based on trap speed and weight.

R

Malcolm

Supporter
[ QUOTE ]

You need a boot full of shopping to go fast!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You been affected by the habits of your missus JP!

Previous bests for me include a 12.65 sec run and a terminal of 127mph. All with a lowish bhp engine (about 350). Small diameter slick tyres were being run then so are most helpful. Most likely had a following wind which Paul and Roy didn't have this year. If they had a neutral wind or a following wind then no doubt Roy would have been under 12 secs.

Still as Paul says, Roy has left us something to aim for in the future.

Malcolm

Well done to roy for being top dog at brighton, next year i hope to run giggle gas on my R42 does anybody have any information on (dare i say it here)350 chevrolet engines i think this is the only way i can keep up with Roy and Paul.

Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You will also need new tyres Dave, complete with that sticky treacle substance Roy has spread round his slicks. Well done Roy, great result! Frank

It has nothing to do with Roy's engine, tyres, suspension or driving skill. It's those Bloody pills I gave him!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A superb example of showing the "youngsters" exactly how it should be done! Well done!

Regards,

J.P

P.S Roy I beleive you owe me a fiver!!

Back