180 degrees headers with turbo

Hi guys

I am looking for 180 degree headers for ls1 engine , any one knows where I can find it ,please post links if its available

and if I am going to have single turbo on the car , does the 180 headers work with it or it will be conflicting ?

Wasting your time Mish.

There is no positive and neg waves in a turbo exhaust, it has constant pressure because the turbo is a restriction.
If you are doing it to get a shot every 90deg instead of 180 I still think you are wasting your time because you are adding 3-4 times the length and that will add to the lag and most likely cancel any gains.
Packaging may also be a pain if its a chassis car.

I always had good results with short and not to large in dia.

Without getting into what constitutes a 180 degree exhaust I will assume you are talking about a crossover system for a V8 with a 90 degree (or cross-plane) crank.
If you are referring to a standard non-crossover system as most V8 engines use but which work properly (have even pulses) on a V8 with a 180 degree (or flat-plane) crank then I (and I think Jim) have misread your intention but the below is still mostly relevant.

Performance wise I agree with Jim on the first part, ie: the turbo' negating any real advantage of the crossover system, however, I disagree to some extent on the packaging issue.
While I agree that on the whole closer is better, I think the system would work fine with turbo's at that distance from the ports. I have a little experience in this area. One of my cars (very modified, very powerful (600+ bhp), very responsive WRX) has a turbo' at probably similar distance and it works fine.
There are people that run turbo's at the back end of a front engined car! At that distance I imagine there would be noticeable problems.
I am not a fan of the idea but if you don't believe me search "rear mounted turbo' ".
I am arguing this point because I suspect the OP was aiming for the crossover sound (forgive me if that is an assumption too far) and apart from the turbo being in the way I think it could still sound pretty good.

I feel I should add - turbo' systems are easy to get wrong. Given the original question, I would advise you to see a turbo' professional regarding best options.
At least where it comes to sizing and wheels.
A badly setup turbo' system is pretty awful, a good one is unbelieveable! :)

FWIW I have already measured up my RF for a turbo' setup on the ends of my crossover system. It will fit with some tweaking. ;)
One day... Maybe...

Tim.

Last edited:
Oh yeah and while I agree about pipe diameter, don't go TOO small, I tried some small pipes once in my hillclimb car, the theory was that it would make the car more responsive, it didn't make as big a difference as I thought and it killed the grunt - killed it!

If you see a turbo' guy I am sure he will have recommendations on pipe sizes for your setup.

Not trying to argue with Jim, I have huge respect for him, just fiddling at the edges of his advice. :)

Tim.

Last edited:
tim - jim thank you

to make it clear : I have mid-engine car with single turbo
I want to install it in the center where the bank join not on the one side

the goal to have 180 degrees is the sound >>> I want to have closest sound of the real car Lamborghini

what headers and exhaust system I have to go for with the turbo to have the sound I want ?
is it 180 degrees or normal headers of ls1 ( my engine )

thank you

Ron Earp

Admin
You're never going to get the LS cross plane V8 to sound like a Lambo/VW/Audi V10 to anyone with a trained ear, or even a slightly deaf ear. And when you put the turbo on it you're going to muffle the pulses even further, making it sound less like either motor.

Have fun with the motor you have and enjoy it for what it is; a great motor packing a lot of displacement into a small package with the ability to generate some serious power when turbocharged.

Back