1st MDA to Canada

Very nice indeed. That black powder coat looks far better than the normal alloy on a spaceframe. Shades of a mono I guess.

As for those knocking the Gulf colours, don't forget that there are three separate schemes in the powder blue/orange colours and the original dark blue/orange.

I'm plumbing for the straight stripe of the 1074 ('68) but I am also looking at the original dark blue of early races.

Essex Wire is a good choice. Classic racing scheme. Good luck with it.

Anyway, I'm back to Canada in a few years and I'm hoping to add one more GT40 to the great white north.

Stew

Thanks Stew, the car is almost ready for paint, thank the gods because my hands are raw from sanding! I'll post pics after I've re-assembled all the bits back on the car - should be plenty of eye-candy when complete.

As for the Gulf schemes, I only poke some fun because of the popularity of it, to each his own, whatever floats your boat!

Yes, more 40's in Canada would be great to see. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Cheers

Chris

To me, the popularity of the #9/6 colour scheme does get a bit dull after a while. I was quite encouraged to see that when 1076 was rebuilt, it was given the team #2 scheme (straight stripe) which is correct for it's '69 competition year. At one point, all four ex-Gulf cars all wore 1075's colour scheme which was excessively boring.

I'm only semi-committed to a Gulf scheme because my chassis plans are for a ex-Mirage style mono. It won't be absolutely correct, but the intent is to confuse an owner of an original for at least 10 minutes. Just a personal challenge of mine and you may read on this forum in two years that I've given up and am building a bog standard chassis with silver on blue colour.

I'm looking forward to seeing yours in Essex Wire colours. Hope your hands have stopped bleeding.

What engine spec you fitting? Is it a 4-bolt motor?

Stew

BEFORE

Well, the beast is off to paint today. I've gone as far as I can so I'll let the pro's take care of the rest.

Should look like a brute when finished! Completed roller pics in a couple of weeks.

Chris

Attachments

• 80575-MDAToPaint_01.jpg
    80575-MDAToPaint_01.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 983

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Great work, Chris.

Wow, I guess now that you have a few weeks off, you can clean all the dust out of the garage! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1poke.gif

I'm looking forward to seeing it back. Did they give you an ETA yet?

Hey Mark - thanks, it will be back to me on the 12th of May, just enough time to re-install all the bits before Carlisle. Mark Sibley from MDA will be flying in on the 16th so I will put his expertise to good use before we head down.

Hope you're enjoying your new toy-

Cheers

Chris

Ron McCall

Supporter
Looking great Chris!
Can't wait to see it at Carlisle!
That's no fair getting professionals to do the work! Your supposed to do it yourself!!!!

Ron, lets put it this way - the "pro's" will have it easy after all of my prep work. Just a little tweak here and there is all I hope they'll need to do!

Should be a good time at Carlisle, looking forward to meeting everyone-

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Chris

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Wow Chris! Looks great. A gallon of clear and you're done! I see you painted the roundels. I asked a neighbour of mine (a police superintendent) about whether having numbers an the car was a problem and he said “of course not. Why would it be? You see those VW Herbie editions with numbers (53) and on delivery cars all the time”. I'd be curious what Toronto cops have to say on the subject, as I thought someone had said it was an issue.

Wish I was going to Carlisle, but will look forward to a “personal viewing” afterwards.

Keep up the posts!

Hey Mark - I got to the painter at 2:00PM and didn't leave until midnight. I can see why there are not too many cars painted this scheme, lots and lots of masking to be done as I think we went through 6 full rolls of 3M tape!

I didn't think the roundels would be an issue - digital masking did the trick but I did leave off the numbers, to be done in 3M vinyl in case I need to remove them.

Down to the wire - Mark Sibley will be over for the show so if there was anyone who wanted to pick the brain of a 20+ year GT40 guru, Carlisle is your chance to speak with him. Great guy and happy to speak with you all!

As Pink Floyd wrote - Wish You Were Here-

Cheers

Chris

...and yes Mark, post show would only be great to see you - hopefully you could make a long distance run in your new toy, would love to see it also!!

Chris

MDA at Carlisle

Well, after driving 500 miles in wet weather the whole way, Mark and I were glad to get out of the truck and setup ASAP. It was great to finally meet Mark Sibley in person, man does he know GT40's!

I would't rate Carlisle as the biggest or best event. I was a little dissapointed with the turnout on Friday and Sunday, there really isn't much for visitors to do, 2 hours to view everything and you're done. I think the event relies too much on it's name, just a large field with some tents for the most part.

To everyone we did meet, thank you for stopping in to speak with us!

Until next time-

Chris

Attachments

• MDA at Carlisle_04.jpg
    MDA at Carlisle_04.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 813
  • MDA at Carlisle_01.JPG
    MDA at Carlisle_01.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 847
  • MDA at Carlisle_02.jpg
    MDA at Carlisle_02.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 851
  • MDA at Carlisle_03.jpg
    MDA at Carlisle_03.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 847
  • MDA at Carlisle_05.jpg
    MDA at Carlisle_05.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 854
Thanks Jack, it was a pain in the butt to mask which may be why a lot of GT40 owners pass on that scheme. Wish we could have had a little more time for the details to be installed but I those who saw the car were very impressed with the authenticity of the MDA product.

Cheers

Chris

Back