1st MDA to Canada

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
HiOne thing I do know for certain is that the paint scheme won't be a Gulf job -

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you!

Thanks Chris

How did you manage to get this through Transport Canada without having to use a donor vehicle?

If I told you - I'd have to kill you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's a long process which I had to suffer through as guinea pig with Transport Canada and every Tom, Dick & (Harry ha! inside joke) along the way. BTW, MDA does not import or sell kits/replicas in Canada. Give me a call should you ever consider the MDA product, I would be more than happy to assist you.

Chris
www.mdagt40.com

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Don't feel bad, dealing with Transport Canada is not easy. All Chris is saying is that there is a way, but he put lots of work into it. There are several GT40's in Canada (still one too few for my liking...), so it is possible, obviously.

Regards,
Mark

...and now back to our regularly scheduled program-

Starting to mock-up the steering now. I had to 'jump in' the car and sit approx in the best position for steering column/wheel height and position. I don't have my wheel and boss yet so my Momo lightweight, foldable steering wheel is in it's place (15 in dia max). Did the trick. I used plastic electrical ties to hold the column in place, keeping it a bit loose so I could adjust the position. The tape was used to mark the position and where to drill (not easy marking anything on Black powdercoat) relative to where the cut-out in the dashboard is located.

I still need to connect the column to the intermediate shaft and once everything looks good, I can start to bolt everything together.

I suggest anyone who needs to install the column have a seat in the car first and stay there until you are happy with the position and height, switch your hands from wheel to shifter area, turn the wheel end to end etc - the point here is to make the reach as comfortable and effective as possible.

Chris

Attachments

• 75880-MDASteering_01.jpg
    75880-MDASteering_01.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 681

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Chris

Did you try moving your right foot from the inaginary accelerator to the brake? (Perhaps you only practiced with the loud pedal!!!!)

Your short intermediary shaft looks like you could snag your foot on it.

The one in my car (Dax) comes up at a fair angle from the rack and then the longer column is a lot more horizontal.- it also has 2 mounting points - one under dash like your mock up and another near the pedals.

This will also alter the angle of your wheel and bring it closer to your knees.

I also believe the correct steering wheel size is 14 inch

Perhaps it will help

Ian

Gregg

Gregg
Lifetime Supporter
Chris, from the picture it looks like your steering rack is installed on an angle and not perpinducular to the car or suspension. Maybe it is just the angle of how the picture was taken. Look at the rack in relation to the two upper braces. It looks as there is more distance at the top of the photo from the bottom. I would just double check to see if it was installed properly. I would also double check the angle of the steering column to the rack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twocents.gif

Agreed....pictures may be deceiving...but it appears
steering column angle should be increased to raise the
space above the floor. That might also allow a direct
couple to the rack and eliminate the stub shaft.
Good looking car though !

Mike D

Hey guys - the intermd shaft is positioned higher with not much angle down when connected, these photos show my initial rough setup. There appears to be little room for footwork in a GT40 but I suppose setting up the pedal box will give me a better understanding-

I'll trim my Momo lightweight back and see how that works.

Thanks for the advice-

Chris

Chris - VERY SERIOUS QUESTION. When you were sitting in the car working on the ergonomics, did you make engine noises???

Chris - actually, when those photos were taken, it was -15C outside so parking my ass on the cold steel floor created noises more like ooooh & yipes - although I was tempted...

Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hi Gregg,

I re-read your post and it does look like the column is not square to the chassis frame. I had moved it over so that it was lingned up with the lower panel cut-out that it passes through but may have gone too far over. Will have a look tonight and sqaure it up - I guess that's why we trial fit everything first!

Good catch-

Chris

Freaky - went and had a look at the column alignment - it's almost dead square with the frame - photo's can really throw things out if taken at the wrong angle, which appears that all it was. Well, I'm happy I don't need to setup again! Better pics when it's all bolted down. The column does have another small lower support bracket near to the pedal box.

Chris

Back