2003 Bathurst 24

Managed to video the 3 hour coverage of the Bathurst 24 race from Motors TV last weekend and watched it over the last couple of nights. What a great race. During the thrilling climax, the commentator said something along the lines of
"Ford, if you're listening, you need to get your GT here for next year"
OK, so it was 427ci Monaros 1st and 2nd for the entire 24 hours, but the Lambo, Mosler and Porsches were having a good go. The Mosler had the fastest lap until about 5 minutes to go, when both Monaros on a charge smashed it by about a second.

How about the Holden team manager, asking the two drivers with 8 minutes to go, to remember all the hard work which has been put in, but race to the flag?! Absolutely brilliant. Best race finish I've seen in ages.

So the Monaro has a big engine in it, but how come its faster than a race bred 350ci Mosler, and the race developed Lamborghini and Ferraris?

It has the full backing off the holden, HSV? (Holden Special Vehicals) and some of the top racing minds in australia are involved, not to mention top shelf drivers...ect lots of money involved. HSV had a 427 monaro ready to go into production, but holden brass pulled the pin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Shame about that!!! Because its not offically a production vehicle, im suprised its still allowd to race.

OK... this has gone on long enough /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Its time somebody set the record straight on those "Monaros". The truth is that those front running cars were no more Holden Monaros than I am my grandmother when I wear her skirt. Those things at the front were pure race cars while all other competitors drove production based race cars. The only reason that they are permitted to enter these cars is to attract local interest (through the local product) and so make the venture profitable. This is not a bad thing in itself, but it should been known to true enthusiasts that the real race was happening behind these two cars. In fact, if you listen carefully to the third-place competitors' victory speach, you will notice their poorly disguised claim to be the true victors.

Having said that, its my opinion too that its the best race in the world. It really does allow you to compare the vehicles that we see on the road.

If I remember correctly, the comment about Ford entering the event was specifically targeted at the new Ford GT40 (Ford GT). I have heard words on the grape vine that a Ford GT has been entered in this years race. Can't wait!

PS.
Maybe I should borrow a Formula 1 Jag for the weekend and put a Ford Falcon body on it. Then we could race the Monaros on a level playing field /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Chris, bet you look cute in Grandma's skirt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifDo you wear her garter belt and net stockings too? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robert Logan

Defunct Manufactuer - Old RF Company
I tried to enter the 24 Hour at Bathurst in 2003 as did a friend of mine , Richard Bendell(owner of MoTeC) , with his Daytona Coupe. We were both rejected because we were 'replicas' and appapently a Lambo replica also tried to enter and the Factory team threatened to pull out. When I spoke to the eligibility guy on the day of the race he explained the situation and reading between the lines they would not accept our entry as they have had inquiries from a team (do not know who) with a Ford GT.

Another point that they highlighted was that they were very worried about the safety isue of the 'clubman cars'. This I fully understand as with thr differential speeds and 'late nights' there could be a HUGE accident. I supose the experience of the drivers must also be taken into account here !!!

I was obviously very dissapointed as others would be but those are the breaks and I fully understand the rational behind their decission.

Good luck to a Ford GT and if you need a point of contact or cook or wheel jock, I would love to offer my help (hell I would pay for the privilage of beating those Holdens).

As a point of fact , Chris, the Holden people spent 10's of thousands of $ doing all the paperwork to get the Monaro into the race, the problem is ,as I see it, that the Procar people assumed that the production line would run but did not put a non-qualifying clause into the homologation. I believe one up to the racers and one down to the legal boys !!!!

Best wishes,

Robert

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
AUSSIE, AUSSIE, AUSSIE....

Off topic, but I want to know what the "PTY" stands for, I know it is a mark of corporation such as "Inc." or "Ltd" but I do not know what it actually stands for? I have seen it in Aus. and S.A.

Confused in US..

Rick

Rick,
PTY LTD = Proprietary Limited It is a means of identifying a company type. I think it distinguishes between a public and private company.

There was precious little information on the production version of the Bathurst Monaro, but best I could make out, it was still only going to be a mere shadow of the race car. I doubt that it would have had the purpose built chassis and adjustable wishbone front / rear suspension. I doubt that it would have had the functioning ground-effects air dam inches from the ground, although the token rear wing would have been there. The engine specs were even harder to nail down, other than to say that it was a 427. Of coarse I might be wrong about all this, but I'm prepared to bet my grandmothers skirt and garter belt that I'm not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif . Anyway, they conveniently pulled the plug on the production version so it’s all academic now.

Robert Logan

Chris,

Get a good shave down mate !!!!

It is amazing how CUTE you could be !!!!!!

How is the TOY

Best wishes,

Robert

Robert/ Chris

Will the Procar people sort out the lack of production clause and pull the Monaro off the track eventually? If so when?

Also Robert, are you investigating the possibility of running in 2004?

All the best

Robert,
The toy is going great guns mate. Still trying to wipe the smile off my face from the first drive a week ago, let alone the 900km I've done since /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Robert Logan

Lee,

I can not see the procar people pulling the Monaro's as they would have a huge law suite on their hands and I believe they would loose as they have documents that are signed by procar which allows them to race. As i said the paper work was done by Holden and the procar guys left the loophole which would be hard to close.

Regarding our entry , there is little hope of ANY "kit car" getting a run as it would open the flood gates for them all. I believe that it would be easier for me to qualify in a series in a different country and get in the "back door" but that is to hard at present. We are runing this year in the "sportscar championships" and we will see from there.

Best wishes,

Robert

Back