2011 SL-C Rapier

Just got my latest copy of Sports Car Marketmagazine and saw this in the "For Sale" section.

Thought I'd share it for those interested.

Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 578
Love the color combo... real head turner. I heard from someone in attendance at SEMA that the SLC was getting more attention than the McLaren it was next to...

I'm assuming that the hp should be 480 and not 380???

Yeah it was on the Forgestar booth at SEMA with the red Forgestar wheels and yes it was getting the majority of the attention, if not all of it at times. First time seeing an SL-C in person and I really like it much better than before just seeing it in pics. I need to have words with Fran again, I'm ever so close to doing my first build and need some reassurance on some things.

Quit being a whiner and get on with it....you have aready made the biggest move by now residing in the USA....best thing I ever did...I love home but this is where I was meant to be...

I can confirm that there were people taking pics of the SLC OVER(!) the McLaren. In the 8 or so hours that I was there, I witnessed about 200 people do a double take of the SLC, then walk over to check it out (over the MP4).

The SLC really steals the lime light from ANY car that's around it! Hell, my Razor does the same thing at the local Cars and Coffee. Fran's cars are definitely special!

Ha! Yes, that's exactly how I feel but I'm one of those that needs to have every aspect covered before I commit to something.

Plus, I'm not going to have a garage until the beginning of March! I still need to come and visit the shop...

so if the kit is $45k with a few adjustments, does it really take $50k to finish one off or the guys covering their time and/or demand for a finished rcr?

so if the kit is $45k with a few adjustments, does it really take $50k to finish one off or the guys covering their time and/or demand for a finished rcr?

You need an engine, transaxle, and a bunch of related stuff (fuel pump, hoses, wiring, exhaust, seat belts, paint, etc. etc. etc.) which all adds up. I think $20K to finish would be an absolute bare minimum for an LS-powered car with a Porsche transaxle, involving a lot of scrounging of used parts. There are a lot of SLC builders here spending well over $50K, not counting the kit price and not counting their labor.

JR

You need an engine, transaxle, and a bunch of related stuff (fuel pump, hoses, wiring, exhaust, seat belts, paint, etc. etc. etc.) which all adds up. I think $20K to finish would be an absolute bare minimum for an LS-powered car with a Porsche transaxle, involving a lot of scrounging of used parts. There are a lot of SLC builders here spending well over $50K, not counting the kit price and not counting their labor.

JR

Agreed. You can build a nice one if you do 95% of your own work for $20k above the kit price. This is assuming you use all of the kit parts, and are diligent when sourcing the large ticket parts.

Or....you can easily spend 4 or more times that even doing most of your own work the further you stray from a basic kit build. A fully dressed custom motor can rival the cost of the kit.

That's the beauty of these and kit cars in general, there are all unique. The best thing to do is follow the threads and info shared from the builders before you so you can learn from our mistakes, research, and results. It will save you money, time, and headaches.

The Rapier cars have big ticket items like Ricardo transaxles and very nice fully trimmmed interiors with carbon, leather,alcantara, anodised aluminum, stainless steel ...and thats just the black car shown...It also has a polished billet chassis crossmember inplace of the tubular steel one supplied as stock...
These are also painted and not gelcoat exteriors...
So, yes its pretty easy to add considerable cost....just like any vehicle on the road....options options options....but its not necessary to build the car.

Anybody have some actual photos of this car at SEMA? Can't say I've ever seen an SLC with those F14 rims. thanks

Fran,
Do you know if Rapier secure enough Ricardos (before the shortage) to last them a while or do they plan to switch to another transaxle in the near future?

Matt.
The Rapier cars were supplied and built here at RCR.....
I sourced and supplied everything for the cars...

Are you hoarding all the known Ricardos for your customers? :D

Agreed. You can build a nice one if you do 95% of your own work for $20k above the kit price. This is assuming you use all of the kit parts, and are diligent when sourcing the large ticket parts.

I think 20k is a bit of an undershoot for most - just a basic LS3 + transaxle will cost that. I remember when everybody I talked to was like 'oh, 930s are awesome, they're cheap and strong as all getout' ..... yea, until you factor in the rebuild and modifications, clutch and whatnot and you're at 12k, just like a Ricardo. And of course the fact it seems a large amount of people on here actually have mechanical backgrounds and know how to do stuff like their own welding and have a mill in their garage ... ooooo, the things I could do if I had more than a jigsaw! :O

Conclusion - stop trying to devalue our cars, hah :p

PM me a phone number or email and I'll send you my iPhone pics of the SLC from SEMA. I was there all day on Tuesday.

Back